• Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
    • PSG
    • Bayern Munich
    • Man City
    • Man Utd
    • Stay at Spurs

43 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I find it weird that people are taking it for granted that Kane would go abroad. I'm not saying he won't, but it's rare that English players do, so it should certainly be a consideration. If he doesn't fancy going abroad, it's really up to Tottenham as to whether he'll leave. If they can show ambition and win things, it's unlikely that he'll have a reason to leave to another English club. The only way I could see it happening is if Manchester United enjoy a massive resurgence, or if Manchester City have enough success in the next couple of years to become a genuine top tier club.

Top british players have moved abroad since football began mate!

Gary Lineker - FC Barcelona

Michael Owen - Real Madrid

Steve McManaman - Real Madrid

Mark Hughes - FC Barcelona

David Platt - Sampdoria

Ray Wilkins - AC Milan

Paul Gasgoigne - SS Lazio

Lawrie Cunnignham - Real Madrid

John Aldridge - Real Sociedad

Dalian Atkinson - Real Sociedad

Trevor Francis - Sampdoria

Graeme Souness - Sampdoria

Chris Waddle - Olympique Marseille

Glenn Hoddle - AS Monaco

Paul Lambert - Borussia Dortmund

Steve Archibald - FC Barcelona

Kevin Keegan - SV Hamburg

John Charles - Juventus

Gareth Bale - Real Madrid

David Beckham - Real Madrid

Gerry Hitchens - Internazionale

Jimmy Greaves - AC Milan

These off the top of my head and I’m sure if I were to search I’d find countless more.

That in general there’s been a reluctance from a fair few, yes. But massive Englsih names have been brave enough to hive it a go. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

A decent handful of those went partially due to the European fan for English clubs to be fair.

This generation it has been a rare occurrence mostly because English clubs have wanted to keep British talent and have been able to as they have been elite clubs themselves.

Not many players leave the top 6 in England for a step up and those that have done recently are elite, top 10 in the world players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Modric (arguably), Suarez, Bale all were at the time. Kane is the first English player since Beckham and Owen to really go into this category.

Of course there have been others like Gerrard and Rooney that could have moved and called it a step up but the desire was never really there on their part because they wanted to stay at home in England which wasn't a factor for the likes of Ronaldo and Suarez. Whether Kane is the same time will tell.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

A decent handful of those went partially due to the European fan for English clubs to be fair.

This generation it has been a rare occurrence mostly because English clubs have wanted to keep British talent and have been able to as they have been elite clubs themselves.

Not many players leave the top 6 in England for a step up and those that have done recently are elite, top 10 in the world players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Modric (arguably), Suarez, Bale all were at the time. Kane is the first English player since Beckham and Owen to really go into this category.

Of course there have been others like Gerrard and Rooney that could have moved and called it a step up but the desire was never really there on their part because they wanted to stay at home in England which wasn't a factor for the likes of Ronaldo and Suarez. Whether Kane is the same time will tell.

No other club other than Man Utd are or have been an elite club during the modern era. 

4 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Why would they go after Alli to tap into the UK market? Everyone who isn't a Spurs fan thinks he's a total cock

Tbf have you met a non-Spaniard that's either a Real Madrid or Barca fan? I've yet to meet one that's not a dickhead - so bringing in a total cock might actually be a plus to tap into that market.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived