talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Overrated and underrated movies

football forum

Title says it all.

Overrated for me are, off the top of my head: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, The English Patient, The Batman trilogy from Nolan, anything from Quentin Tarantino, No Country for Old Men.

Underrated: Dogma, Barton Fink, Mr. Nobody, Her, The Best of Youth, the Apu trilogy.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, ASF said:

Title says it all.

Overrated for me are, off the top of my head: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, The English Patient, The Batman trilogy from Nolan, anything from Quentin Tarantino, No Country for Old Men.

Underrated: Dogma, Barton Fink, Mr. Nobody, Her, The Best of Youth, the Apu trilogy.

One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest is a brilliant movie mate!  What didn't you like about it? O.o

The English Patient is only great in the final 45 minutes (very great) and the rest is absolute turd.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ASF said:

Title says it all.

One Flew over the Cuckoos nest? Blimey fella, I think that's actually underrated 

• Subscriber

Overrated:
Shawshank Redemption
Saving Private Ryan (bar the opening scene)
Scarface
Schindler's List
Requiem for a Dream

Underrated (underappeciated):
Children of Men
The Thin Red Line
The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford
A Perfect World

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Overrated:
Shawshank Redemption
Saving Private Ryan (bar the opening scene)
Scarface
Schindler's List
Requiem for a Dream

Underrated (underappeciated):
Children of Men
The Thin Red Line
The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford
A Perfect World

Agree with probably everything on the lists bar Requiem. Shawshank is top of my list for overrated. People that have never seen rate it as their number one ffs.

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Agree with probably everything on the lists bar Requiem. Shawshank is top of my list for overrated. People that have never seen rate it as their number one ffs.

Yep, I remember you liking Requiem, I just think it's over-pretentious, migraine-inducing tosh :ph34r:

Overrated.

Star wars episode 7. A new hope II

The Shawshank Redemption

All the Marvel superheroes movies bar the first Iron man movies. And guardians of the galaxy (still overrated, but not half as much as the rest of them)

Slumdog millionaire

Inception

Zoolander

Underrated

Collateral

District 9

99 homes

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

So in this thread: Underrated = Movies that have good ratings and were generally well received ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's why I named mine "underappreciated" :P

6 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

So in this thread: Underrated = Movies that have good ratings and were generally well received ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's a suggestion. The Bedroom Window. I accidentally stumbled on it while surfing on YouTube for bad movies, but this one is actually a terrific thriller. A movie that Alfred Hitchcock would be proud of.

• Subscriber

I have two others in mind as well:

Sunset Limited (2011) - Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson discuss the meaning of life in an apartment. Sounds weird and pretentious, it's a great film though.
Midnight Run (1988) - an action comedy with Robert de Niro, it's fun and entertaining while not being too silly.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

:
Sunset Limited (2011) - Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson discuss the meaning of life in an apartment. Sounds weird and pretentious, it's a great film though.

That one was great! And it has the good kind of Samuel L. Jackson in it, not the constantly shouting profanities and generally being the same character in every movie kind of Samuel L. Jackson. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tsubasa said:

That one was great! And it has the good kind of Samuel L. Jackson in it, not the constantly shouting profanities and generally being the same character in every movie kind of Samuel L. Jackson. 

If you like when Samuel L. Jackson is not Samuel L. Jackson, watch The Red Violin, if you haven't yet: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120802/

16 minutes ago, nudge said:

Midnight Run (1988) - an action comedy with Robert de Niro, it's fun and entertaining while not being too silly.

De niro and Grodin had great chemistry. Remember watching it as a teen, and wanting that belt.

@Topic

Yankee Zulu. If you like Gods must be Crazy or Stir Crazy, then Yankee Zulu is the movie for you.

Cousin Cousine (original French) is another of my favourite. Lovely romantic movie, with a lame Hollywood remake.

Archived