talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Generation 'Snowflake'

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Even though it all seems a bit silly and forced at the moment with things like Ghostbusters with an all female cast and Oceans 26 or whatever it was with an all female cast and then meddling with Dr Who and putting in a female lead and now things like this with the Monopoly etc.. give it another 10 years and it will be the norm and everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about.. and I appreciate that most things in the past have been male led and there are some out there that want to sit on a keyboard all day bashing out their latest protestations on any given subject but people need to remember there have been some great females throughout history that led the way for fairer sex long before all this nonsense started kicking off.. Can't people take inspiration from them and their achievements rather than bemoaning their own poor choices or lack of ambition to change their own circumstances?? 

What about people like Amelia Earhart for example, look what she achieved in a so called male dominated environment??? 

What always makes me wonder is how and why is it even an issue in developed western countries in the first place? I mean, I totally get the movements for women rights in places like Saudi Arabia where it's an actual systemic issue; not in most of the developed world though where gender equality is a given and has been for decades. I personally don't get it; as someone coming from a rather traditional and allegedly less "progressive" society I never had a single issue (not even a subtle hint or a feeling of it) of being disadvantaged for being a woman - and that's coming from someone with hobbies and interests as well as educational & work fields that are mostly considered to be "male dominated" and who's been pretty much self reliant since teenage years. Actually none of other women I know experienced something like that either. Not when it comes to getting an education, a job based on one's qualifications, getting paid equally to men in the same position or just in general being able to make choices and live their lives the way they want to. So either we're all just lucky and I'm ignorant and there are other issues at play in other western countries that I'm just not aware of that make such "movements" justified, or it's just absolute bollocks. To be fair I'm leaning towards the latter. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nudge said:

What always makes me wonder is how and why is it even an issue in developed western countries in the first place? I mean, I totally get the movements for women rights in places like Saudi Arabia where it's an actual systemic issue; not in most of the developed world though where gender equality is a given and has been for decades. I personally don't get it; as someone coming from a rather traditional and allegedly less "progressive" society I never had a single issue (not even a subtle hint or a feeling of it) of being disadvantaged for being a woman - and that's coming from someone with hobbies and interests as well as educational & work fields that are mostly considered to be "male dominated" and who's been pretty much self reliant since teenage years. Actually none of other women I know experienced something like that either. Not when it comes to getting an education, a job based on one's qualifications, getting paid equally to men in the same position or just in general being able to make choices live their lives the way we want to. So either we're all just lucky and I'm ignorant and there are other issues at play in other western countries that I'm just not aware of that make such "movements" justified, or it's just absolute bollocks. To be fair I'm leaning towards the latter. 

Nice post Nudge... 

I have never heard any female ever express their discontent at what they get paid or what positions they can or can't apply for either, not in my working lifetime, I have met ambitious women who want to climb the ladder but never moaned about being passed over simply because they were female.You get where you want to be by being the right person for the job as far as I am concerned, Gender has nothing to do with it. People get paid in accordance with the skill level and expertise in the field they are best equipped to handle.. and yes it takes years of dedication and devotion to be among the most knowledgeable or skilled in whatever area or profession you choose to pursue but the same life rules apply to men as well as women. It's not as though being passed over for promotion or being paid less than someone else doing the same job is just unique to females. 

I have had a number of female bosses over the years and some have been in fairly senior positions and that's going back years and years, some have been better at the same job than others but in all cases I found that if they were not happy with the pay or the career opportunities they just simply left and went and worked somewhere else instead like most sensible people.. It's nice to get promotion or wage increases but you have to earn it?? it doesn't come for free with no work or effort required... xD

I often think that some of these people who are crying the loudest are pushing for something that they wouldn't know what to do with once they had it..

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, True Blue said:

I understood that women want equality with men, how does this help?

I mean I know it's a game and not exactly a serious thing but this approach is what's wrong with women's rights. You want equality, surely you don't want people to make a point of favouring women by giving them an extra £40 when they pass go (or equivalent real world action).

I dont get it when people interpret a lack of equality as being fixed when you give more to the other side. Equality is equality.

You don't see too much in the way of bias against women in day to day life but the numbers speak for themselves when it comes to the wage gap and the proportion of women you see as CEOs and other senior positions compared to men. There's clearly still an issue to confront there.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You don't see too much in the way of bias against women in day to day life but the numbers speak for themselves when it comes to the wage gap and the proportion of women you see as CEOs and other senior positions compared to men. There's clearly still an issue to confront there.

How do we interpret the numbers though and how are they calculated in the first place? As in, why is there a wage gap and why are there less women in senior positions compared to men? Is it because women are actually paid less and there's bias against them when it comes to hiring and promotion or is it mostly different preferences and choices of career that lead to women being less represented in high-paying industries? Are other factors such as working hours, years of experience, field of work, vacation time etc. accounted for or are we simply looking at the salaries/wages on average? 

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

How do we interpret the numbers though and how are they calculated in the first place? As in, why is there a wage gap and why are there less women in senior positions compared to men? Is it because women are actually paid less and there's bias against them when it comes to hiring and promotion or is it mostly different preferences and choices of career that lead to women being less represented in high-paying industries? Are other factors such as working hours, years of experience, field of work, vacation time etc. accounted for or are we simply looking at the salaries/wages on average? 

Women take more time off than men

Women work fewer hours a week than men. 

Women choose more lower paying careers than men. (Nursing over MD for example) 

All of this is factored in as to why women earn less than men. The notion that a man with the same degree as a woman, working the same job with the same hours, yet earns more, is fiction. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

No economist takes the gender wage gap seriously. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Women take more time off than men

Women work fewer hours a week than men. 

Women choose more lower paying careers than men. (Nursing over MD for example) 

All of this is factored in as to why women earn less than men. The notion that a man with the same degree as a woman, working the same job with the same hours, yet earns more, is fiction. 

I realise that; I was wondering if those factors are taken into account as control variables in the studies that look at the wage gap or not. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

They are, hence why I said no rational economist believes in the wage gap. 

I'm confused here. So are you saying that those factors are controlled for in the studies (as in, do they actually add the number of working hours, hours taken off work, years of work experience, skill, etc as control variables while conducting the research) and the results still find a statistically significant pay gap even after the data is adjusted?
Or are they just comparing the raw data on average salaries without adjusting it for the aforementioned factors? 

21 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'm confused here. So are you saying that those factors are controlled for in the studies (as in, do they actually add the number of working hours, hours taken off work, years of work experience, skill, etc as control variables while conducting the research) and the results still find a statistically significant pay gap even after the data is adjusted?
Or are they just comparing the raw data on average salaries without adjusting it for the aforementioned factors? 

When when you look at the median of earnings for full time wage and salaried employees, you can see that women earn 78% of what men are paid. Which created the notion that women earn 0.78 cents to a man’s dollar. 

This in itself brought major outcry, as the lazy thing to do in this generation is label it discrimination vs actually looking at the context. People genuinely thought that a woman putting in the same time and doing the same job as a man, was earning less. 

The Bureau of Labor Statistics however, factors in crucial data that compares men and women. Those factors include women taking more time off than men, women working less hours than men, and women preferring lower paying careers than men. Three crucial elements that influence earnings and show exactly why women are earning less. 

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

When when you look at the median of earnings for full time wage and salaries employees, you can see that women earn 78% of what men are paid. Which created the notion that women earn 0.78 cents to a man’s dollar. 

This in itself brought major outcry, as the lazy thing to do in this generation is label it discrimination vs actually looking at the context. People genuinely thought that a woman putting in the same time and doing the same job as a man, was earning less. 

The Bureau of Labor Statistics however, factors in crucial data that compares men and women. Those factors include women taking more time off than men, women working less hours than men, and women preferring lower paying careers than men. Three crucial elements that influence earnings and show exactly why women are earning less. 

So the original studies that claimed that women earn 78% of what men are paid only looked at the averages. The Bureau of Labor Statistics added those additional factors into the analysis. Gotcha; that was what I was asking about. What were the results then after they did that? Did they find any gap still or was there none at all? 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

So the original studies that claimed that women earn 78% of what men are paid only looked at the averages. The Bureau of Labor Statistics added those additional factors into the analysis. Gotcha; that was what I was asking about. What were the results then after they did that? Did they find any gap still or was there none at all? 

That I’m not sure. But if there was a gap to exist, let alone be culturally accepted, wouldn’t organisations prefer hiring women than men?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That I’m not sure. But if there was a gap to exist, let alone be culturally accepted, wouldn’t organisations prefer hiring women than men?

As in because in that case they could get away with paying less? :D Clever.

I feel bad for actual feminists that try and make a difference for women that actually suffer. Their work goes unnoticed. Instead airheads on social media are seen as representing feminism and ultimately making feminism in "the west" a bit of a laughing stock.

They are trying to teach kids that there are like 15 genders now. It's become absolutely ridiculous.

What the fuck are they doing telling 6 year olds nonsense like that? Not only is it aload of bullshit, but that is enough to fuck their heads up and confuse the fuck out of their (developing) brains. It's actually twisted as fuck.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Sort of on topic but has anyone seens Chappelle's new special? Hes fucking savage in the best Dave way possible. He cracks some great bits about LGBT, MJ, goes into abortion a little bit and the gun violence, its absolutely great he holds no punches. BUT naturally what happens is everyone thats a critic and their dog is offended and calling him out of touch with the times and worse, meanwhile user reviews on rotten tomatoes are at like 99% xD

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

They are trying to teach kids that there are like 15 genders now. It's become absolutely ridiculous.

What the fuck are they doing telling 6 year olds nonsense like that? Not only is it aload of bullshit, but that is enough to fuck their heads up and confuse the fuck out of their (developing) brains. It's actually twisted as fuck.

Agreed... A bit wrong the way things are turning out really, once upon a time you could decide what you liked or didn't like as you grew up and although I am all for teaching kids about different cultures and religions and even same sex relationships which they probably see a lot more of than we did as kids I don't believe we should be going any further than that, questions may be asked by children and then honestly answered but it seems like forcing it into them which is almost a brainwashing technique.. "You will accept Transgender people" so on and so forth.. 

Have you ever seen a bloke called Ben Shapiro?? certainly not popular among the Transgender population and has received countless threats etc simply because he states to anyone that tries to tackle him on it that there are only two genders, Male or Female and you are born one or the other... Any changes or identities beyond your birth gender are a personal choice for that individual and I fully agree with him... I don't condone giving people a hard time over their choices in life because each to their own and all that but don't try and force people to accept something they may not be comfortable with.. 

1 hour ago, Viva la FCB said:

Sort of on topic but has anyone seens Chappelle's new special? Hes fucking savage in the best Dave way possible. He cracks some great bits about LGBT, MJ, goes into abortion a little bit and the gun violence, its absolutely great he holds no punches. BUT naturally what happens is everyone thats a critic and their dog is offended and calling him out of touch with the times and worse, meanwhile user reviews on rotten tomatoes are at like 99% xD

Yeah it was really good. I only heard about it because of some twat being extra offended about it and someone else telling them to stop being so sensitive, that he's a comedian who makes jokes, has made a career out of saying the sort of shit he says, shit like that. It's pretty good.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Have you ever seen a bloke called Ben Shapiro?? certainly not popular among the Transgender population and has received countless threats etc simply because he states to anyone that tries to tackle him on it that there are only two genders, Male or Female and you are born one or the other... Any changes or identities beyond your birth gender are a personal choice for that individual and I fully agree with him... I don't condone giving people a hard time over their choices in life because each to their own and all that but don't try and force people to accept something they may not be comfortable with.. 

That might be the only thing I agree with Ben Shapiro about. But don't listen to that man too much, mate. He's a horrible twat.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That might be the only thing I agree with Ben Shapiro about. But don't listen to that man too much, mate. He's a horrible twat.

Interesting. I often agree with a lot of what Ben Shapiro says, but I think his views of transgenderism are extreme. Especially when he goes out calling it a mental illness, which should be treated the same as Alzheimer’s. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Interesting. I often agree with a lot of what Ben Shapiro says, but I think his views of transgenderism are extreme. Especially when he goes out calling it a mental illness, which should be treated the same as Alzheimer’s. 

I mean, removing the words "transgender" from it... do you think that body dysmorphia is a mental illness? Because you could make the argument that transgenders are just a particular form of body dysmorphia and I'm not sure that it's a bad argument at all. Seems more scientifically accurate than telling people there's more than two genders tbh.

I also don't think it's a big deal if people identify as transgenders. It's their life, their body, and if it makes them happy and doesn't hurt anybody... then it's really their business and their business alone. They're in a tough position - because I can empathise with them, but then I hear my friends tell me their young kids' teachers are talking to them about their kid's sexuality and that it's okay to grow up to be a man, a woman, or whatever you want to be... and I don't see why young kids need to be exposed to this kind of shit or having these ideas planted in their brains by the people who've been entrusted to give them a basic education on shit you'd normally expect to learn in school. And shit like that makes me think that the issue has taken this weird turn it shouldn't have ever made.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Yea I don't agree with everything he has to say, It's personal choice that's all, not an illness, but mostly agree with his two gender types argument but I think with a lot of things when you start getting flack for disagreeing with someone on a given subject things tend to swing for the uglier the more heated it becomes..