talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool agree world record £75m fee for VVD

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would've been a crazy amount in the summer but it's crazier now as he's not been that great this season. Would've thought that 6 months on a more reasonable price would be agreed. Insane amount but if it improves Liverpool's defence then it could take them up a level where they could compete for the title and spending the amount of money they have on Naby Keita and know van Dijk can only be justified by a serious title challenge, if not a title win. Will be interesting for Liverpool next season.

11 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

If anyone now turns round and says FSG don’t support the manager after spending £75m on VVD, £36m on Mo, £35m on Ox, £58m on Kieta whilst turning down £136m for Coutinho then they need their head read. 

Nobody can say FSG don't give us financial support - especially after this summer. We spent shitloads and were ready to spend more for VvD.

This is crazy fucking money for a defender though. Especially considering he's been a bit shit this season lol. But he's got the potential to be the best defender in the league, and I've got no doubt he's an improvement on our current lot of defenders.

No idea if Matip is still out for the considerable future... but if he does, who'd we have partner VvD? The expensive and inconsistent Lovren? Or Klavan, who's probably not that great of a defender... but this season has probably been our best CB. I assume if Matip is fit though, he's first choice.

Just now, Cicero said:

Except at Southampton he didn't have a 75 million purchase price over his shoulders. 

He did in a way because of the saga he was involved in in the summer. Everyone knew he'd go for big money sooner rather than later, the only difference is the question now is 'Was he worth it' rather than 'Will he be worth it'.

• Subscriber

Might be being biased but this has the potential to be one of the worst transfers in history. £75m for a player who had a couple of good seasons at Southampton but has been pretty poor this season, a fact that would still trouble me if I was a Liverpool fan even if I rationalised it as him not wanting to be at Southampton anymore explaining his form.

10 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

He did in a way because of the saga he was involved in in the summer. Everyone knew he'd go for big money sooner rather than later, the only difference is the question now is 'Was he worth it' rather than 'Will he be worth it'.

Depends on the alternatives. Rudiger cost us nearly a third less and has been fantastic for us. 

I find it hard to believe that there are not any alternatives just as good and cost less than VVD, but as Lucas mentioned, at the end of the day, he improves you.  

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:
1 minute ago, Babycakes said:
9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Depends on the alternatives. Rudiger cost us nearly a third less and has been fantastic for us. 

I find it hard to believe that there are not any alternatives just as good and cost less than VVD, but as Lucas mentioned, at the end of the day, he improves you.  

Wow crazy money but he will improve us.

As long as he improves us, which hopefully he will do, why do fans get themselves concerned with whether he cost too much or not? 

The liquidator is triggered. 

Archived