talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool agree world record £75m fee for VVD

You'd think it'd have more to do with the constant communicating he's doing with the back line and keeper to organise the shape, and also constantly encouraging our players... rather the comment about those diving shits. Haven't seen a CB of ours really do that as often since Hyypia/Carra/Agger/Skrtel (weirdly, the order they left us is probably the order from first to last of their leadership abilities as CBs imo - although it's close between Carra and Big Sami).

I don't think we've got very many leaders tbh. VvD, Henderson, and Milner are the most obvious leaders in our squad. Lallana was Southampton's captain, so maybe him too. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair to say VVD has been pretty much an instant hit improving us defensively beyond what we all thought he would. 

The second set of stats shows just how much he has improved us in each area in percentages, which is pretty staggering. 

28795451_10156073885426132_8911088546765

DYkpFWnXUAA35wP.jpg

Premier League

Avg Pass Accuracy

Avg Pass Length

Duels Won

VVD

89%
21m
67%
Walker

88%
17m
61%
Vertongen

86%
22m
61%
Christensen

93%
19m
60%
Stones

96%
18m
59%
Matip

89%
22m
57%
Lovren

88%
21m
56%

• Subscriber

I'm not going to comment on the second set of stats but the first one with the pic is pretty outstanding and highlight an area in defense we've seriously struggled with (aerial duels). It's almost baffling how many of these we lose because defenders don't come out quick or no one calls it and just goes for it. Glad to see he's having the impact I was hoping he would. If only he was with us when the season started  ... but that's gone now. 

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

I'm not going to comment on the second set of stats but the first one with the pic is pretty outstanding and highlight an area in defense we've seriously struggled with (aerial duels). It's almost baffling how many of these we lose because defenders don't come out quick or no one calls it and just goes for it. Glad to see he's having the impact I was hoping he would. If only he was with us when the season started  ... but that's gone now. 

He’s got the summer off having no World Cup with Holland and a full pre-season with Klopp which should serve him well for next season. 

Cant actually wait for next season to be honest. A fully up to speed VVD, Kieta coming in, Clyne returning to make us stronger still defensively, Lallana returning to make us stronger attacking wise (essential to our high pressing) and another couple of signings to strengthen the overall squad.... 

Exciting times. 

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Cant actually wait for next season to be honest. A fully up to speed VVD, Kieta coming in, Clyne returning to make us stronger still defensively, Lallana returning to make us stronger attacking wise (essential to our high pressing) and another couple of signings to strengthen the overall squad.... 

This right here has me excited too. I can't wait to see what happens when the apex of our defense gets better because that will mean we can then allow our attacking players to run riot with no need for consistent tracking (they will still have to but not as much). 

On the Lallana topic, having him back to fitness is good but with him its a patience game because there is no doubt the guy has talent it just takes him a month or two to find his form again and then the challenge of keeping him fit is key. He was superb imo before getting injured. 

12 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

This right here has me excited too. I can't wait to see what happens when the apex of our defense gets better because that will mean we can then allow our attacking players to run riot with no need for consistent tracking (they will still have to but not as much). 

On the Lallana topic, having him back to fitness is good but with him its a patience game because there is no doubt the guy has talent it just takes him a month or two to find his form again and then the challenge of keeping him fit is key. He was superb imo before getting injured. 

Hopefully (from a purely selfish point of view) Lallana isn’t included in the England World Cup squad so he can concentrate on getting totally fit for next season. 

I’m even coming round to Karius being our long term keeper. 6 clean sheets in 9 games since coming back in!

Happy days!

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I’m even coming round to Karius being our long term keeper. 6 clean sheets in 9 games since coming back in!

Happy days!

Think VVD coming in had a huge influence there too. Even if you're a stellar keeper you need your defense to be organized enough to be able to do your job (some exceptions here of course). Karius is still young and will get better over time. I don't expect him to be flawless but his confidence is up and he's doing well. Good times ahead indeed.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

He’s got the summer off having no World Cup with Holland and a full pre-season with Klopp which should serve him well for next season. 

Exciting times. 

It's your year! xD

Like clockwork

2 minutes ago, Storts said:

It's your year! xD

Like clockwork

Not our year but definitely cementing our place mate, whilst Spurs and Chelsea scrimp and scrape trying to pay for brand new soulless stadiums whilst we extend Anfield to bigger capacities than both xD

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Jesus Christ the "next year is our year" shouts are as early as March now?

Nobody has said ‘next year is our year’ mate. Looking forward to next season all the same! 

Strong position though! Wonder if you lot will avoid relegation? Should be fine pal don’t worry. Fat Sam usually gets to 40 points before May :D

On 27/12/2017 at 22:19, 6666 said:

A lot criticising Liverpool for spending crazy money and a lot praising Liverpool for spending crazy money. The latter wouldn't sound as stupid if them "showing a lot of ambition" led them anywhere.

They've spent over half a billion since their last trophy and very little gets said about them never justifying their spending. They'll need to deliver sooner rather than later.

Klopp has spent absolutely nothing since he’s been here, he’s actually in profit. 

Fair comment if referring to before his time here, we were wank. 

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Sam is the man to take us to greatness. From the ashes we will rise to the summit of English football and rightfully take our place at the top of the tree.

He’s probably the best you can get at this very turbulent time to be fair :D

Van Dijk is a superb defender, miles above the other two regular centre backs. However, one man can't change everything and I think Liverpool's style of play is always going to leave them susceptible at the back, Lovren et al get bucket loads of abuse and blame, much of it deserved but the fact is Liverpool's defence is often left with an exposure the better sides don't have to deal with. This pressure, against decent sides, will usually tell and they'll concede plenty. Don't see any signs of the changing.

I see Liverpool floating around 2nd, 3rd 4th for a few seasons but nothing suggests a title challenge in the near future. Henderson is an absolutely abysmal footballer and it's farcical he's in a side aiming for trophies.

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Van Dijk is a superb defender, miles above the other two regular centre backs. However, one man can't change everything and I think Liverpool's style of play is always going to leave them susceptible at the back, Lovren et al get bucket loads of abuse and blame, much of it deserved but the fact is Liverpool's defence is often left with an exposure the better sides don't have to deal with. This pressure, against decent sides, will usually tell and they'll concede plenty. Don't see any signs of the changing.

I see Liverpool floating around 2nd, 3rd 4th for a few seasons but nothing suggests a title challenge in the near future. Henderson is an absolutely abysmal footballer and it's farcical he's in a side aiming for trophies.

Our results show that since VVD signed we concede 41% less goals and they also show that when Henderson plays we win 92% of those games. 

Hes suffered an injury that not many do and he’s still not upto speed. But he’s also a very underrated footballer, and I’m happy with that. Basically, when Hendo plays, we are better. Kieta coming in will stiffen up the competition so alls good going forward. 

50 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Not our year but definitely cementing our place mate, whilst Spurs and Chelsea scrimp and scrape trying to pay for brand new soulless stadiums whilst we extend Anfield to bigger capacities than both xD

You haven't been to Anfield for a bit, have you? It's dreadful. 

On VVD; not got their money's worth yet, not that they would spending £120+ million on him but you'd expect they would if he stayed or they'd make good money on him if/when they sell. 

2 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Van Dijk is still not really fully fit and its going to take until next season season to see the best of him, also he needs a settled partner beside him as well. 

That’s good news indeed because he’s been an absolute colossus so far. If he gets even better then we literally have one of the best CB’s in the world :D

4 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Hopefully (from a purely selfish point of view) Lallana isn’t included in the England World Cup squad so he can concentrate on getting totally fit for next season. 

Happy days!

I think as far as Karius goes, see how he does until May before we make a proper judgement. We've been here before with Mignolet - looking ok for a few weeks but a fuck up was always just around the corner. Difference with Karius was always that he's younger and unproven. See how he copes with the high pressure situation of two legs in a Champions League quarter final.

2 hours ago, HK85 said:

You haven't been to Anfield for a bit, have you? It's dreadful. 

On VVD; not got their money's worth yet, not that they would spending £120+ million on him but you'd expect they would if he stayed or they'd make good money on him if/when they sell. 

Nearly all grounds are dreadful now. At least ours will remain an original whilst also being one of the highest capacities in the country and also enabling us to extend whilst staying competitive in the transfer market whilst yourselves, Spurs and Chelsea etc scrimp and scrape whilst yours is being built. 

At a cost of between £400m - £600m you lot will be waiting on new stadiums that still won’t hold as many as Anfield. 

Im not saying you lot, or Chelsea/Spurs are doing the wrong thing, I’m just saying I’m happy with the way things are panning out for us at the moment. 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I think as far as Karius goes, see how he does until May before we make a proper judgement. We've been here before with Mignolet - looking ok for a few weeks but a fuck up was always just around the corner. Difference with Karius was always that he's younger and unproven. See how he copes with the high pressure situation of two legs in a Champions League quarter final.

Agreed. He’d make more than an adequate back up either way if Klopp decides a new No1 is needed. 

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Nearly all grounds are dreadful now. At least ours will remain an original whilst also being one of the highest capacities in the country and also enabling us to extend whilst staying competitive in the transfer market whilst yourselves, Spurs and Chelsea etc scrimp and scrape whilst yours is being built. 

At a cost of between £400m - £600m you lot will be waiting on new stadiums that still won’t hold as many as Anfield. 

Im not saying you lot, or Chelsea/Spurs are doing the wrong thing, I’m just saying I’m happy with the way things are panning out for us at the moment. 

It's not much of an original if you're knocking down stands and rebuilding. 

We're loaning the money to build the stadium, so "scrimp and scrape" isn't that much of an issue at the moment. 

Thanks for the concern though, pal. 

1 hour ago, HK85 said:

It's not much of an original if you're knocking down stands and rebuilding. 

We're loaning the money to build the stadium, so "scrimp and scrape" isn't that much of an issue at the moment. 

Thanks for the concern though, pal. 

No problem at all young man 👍

Archived