talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool agree world record £75m fee for VVD

6 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Because it leaves us with less money to spend on other targets.

I don't think £20m here or there in this day and age is going to stop Liverpool from making any further moves in the market if it's imperative they need to. 

Whether they actually choose to is another thing. A goalkeeper should 100% be the main focus now.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proportionally I don't think its such a huge transfer. The Ferdinand transfer was huge in that time because it was on a similar level to what was being paid for world class attackers like Zidane. Even the Mangala transfer was huge a few years ago. 

£75 million is a lot but not close to Neymar or even what's being touted for Coutinho. 

Getting fussed over absolute numbers is pointless. In any case I also don't get why defenders are expected to cost less. Players should be priced according to the improvement they can bring to a team. 

All people do is act like smartarses saying shite like "pretty football doesn't win titles" and then also act like smartarses by talking like it's stupid to spend equally large amount of money on defenders as attackers.

22 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Because it leaves us with less money to spend on other targets.

Coutinho going in the summer near enough pays for this transfer and Keita. Liverpool should still have the capability to strengthen other areas after that. 

I'm the biggest pessimist there is when it comes to Liverpool but even I struggle to find something to moan about when it comes to this. Strengthening one of the biggest problem areas in the squad. Get a keeper next and someone to play alongside Keita and we'll be much stronger next season

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

And on the flipside, a statement made by an ambitious side that emphasises why players want to join Liverpool and why players want to leave Arsenal.

This is true, very true. Now the proof will be in the pudding. Comparisons on a price for this defender and comparisons to Neymar or Coutinho are way out if context though. 

I've never seen this Virgil Van Dijk but 75M for any defender seems a bit much. That's the price I'd expect for a young Godin or Chiellini, not this lad.

Either way, if Liverpool's defence is as bad as said at least its a step in the right direction, perhaps executed in a risky way.

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

For spending so much. United spend a little bit more on Pogba.

Theyre no longer the Liverpool looking to make bargain signings.

Yeah this year definitely shows a change in how we go about our transfers for the first time in decades.

In the 90s I remember us signing our top targets some of the time, and as the years went by we started having to look more at plan Bs and plan Cs and shit like that. It was particularly irritating in the Rafa years, we'd have a top target ready to make the move over to us - then the club wouldn't be willing to pay what the selling club demanded. Then we'd go for plan B. And if that failed, then we'd go to plan C. And if that failed, you'd have Rafa go to Rick Parry just saying "well fucking sign me a right winger, you cunt" and then we'd end up with Jermain Pennant.

This year our top targets look to have been: 1.) Mo Salah, who we signed pretty quickly (and considering the market, thank fuck we did because that price could have shot up massively), 2.) Naby Keita, who we signed... albeit he can't join us just yet, but he's on the way, and 3.) Virgil van Dijk, who'll be joining us on the first.

These players were in no way cheap. But they were the top targets and then we went out and bought them, regardless of massive money it cost in order for us to sign them. That's something we've only very rarely done in recent decades - Torres and Suarez are the best examples. There's other examples like Harry Kewell turning down United to join us... but these are few and far between (and different because it's not a free transfer).

Personally, I think the money flying around in the sport is fucking mental and probably not good for the sport in general... but as a Liverpool fan, it's a lot nicer to see the club go out and get its top targets. And it certainly removes an excuse if these players don't fit in well with the club - because these are our top targets, picked specifically because the manager & his staff believe they'll fit in with the current squad and tactics. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah this year definitely shows a change in how we go about our transfers for the first time in decades.

In the 90s I remember us signing our top targets some of the time, and as the years went by we started having to look more at plan Bs and plan Cs and shit like that. It was particularly irritating in the Rafa years, we'd have a top target ready to make the move over to us - then the club wouldn't be willing to pay what the selling club demanded. Then we'd go for plan B. And if that failed, then we'd go to plan C. And if that failed, you'd have Rafa go to Rick Parry just saying "well fucking sign me a right winger, you cunt" and then we'd end up with Jermain Pennant.

This year our top targets look to have been: 1.) Mo Salah, who we signed pretty quickly (and considering the market, thank fuck we did because that price could have shot up massively), 2.) Naby Keita, who we signed... albeit he can't join us just yet, but he's on the way, and 3.) Virgil van Dijk, who'll be joining us on the first.

These players were in no way cheap. But they were the top targets and then we went out and bought them, regardless of massive money it cost in order for us to sign them. That's something we've only very rarely done in recent decades - Torres and Suarez are the best examples. There's other examples like Harry Kewell turning down United to join us... but these are few and far between (and different because it's not a free transfer).

Personally, I think the money flying around in the sport is fucking mental and probably not good for the sport in general... but as a Liverpool fan, it's a lot nicer to see the club go out and get its top targets. And it certainly removes an excuse if these players don't fit in well with the club - because these are our top targets, picked specifically because the manager & his staff believe they'll fit in with the current squad and tactics. 

Agree with this 100%. Even though I feel the price Van Dijk is absolutely astounding and ridiculous also based on a lot of white smoke right now. I agree that as a football fan of your club you HAVE to be happy and any complaints now about the board can be ridiculed by those that have defended the board recently. As a club fan you want to see ambition and £75m for Van Dijk is ambitious without a shadow of a doubt... It’ll make clubs that own renowned defenders around Europe start to phone those players’ agents straight away though and tell them that that’s the benchmark for an average where pices are concerned.

Now all you need is a quality keeper. 

A lot criticising Liverpool for spending crazy money and a lot praising Liverpool for spending crazy money. The latter wouldn't sound as stupid if them "showing a lot of ambition" led them anywhere.

They've spent over half a billion since their last trophy and very little gets said about them never justifying their spending. They'll need to deliver sooner rather than later.

3 minutes ago, 6666 said:

A lot criticising Liverpool for spending crazy money and a lot praising Liverpool for spending crazy money. The latter wouldn't sound as stupid if them "showing a lot of ambition" led them anywhere.

They've spent over half a billion since their last trophy and very little gets said about them never justifying their spending. They'll need to deliver sooner rather than later.

We last won a trophy 5 years ago. And since then this is our spending:

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

59 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The near £150m (£200m if you include Naby Keita) Liverpool have spent so far this season obviously hasn't been taken into account there. And that's not including whatever a tribunal decides Liverpool have to pay Chelsea for Solanke.

Dick Van Dyke is on his day one of the best defenders in the Premier League, I even said several years ago when I saw him at Groningen he was too good for this team,  but now prices have gone crazy which makes players look bad business!  Lakuku 75 million,  Dembele to Barcelona for 120 million etc Van Dijk was only bought for about 12 million a few years back and even back then clubs were thinking that was too high from a player in Scotland.       

2 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Dick Van Dyke is on his day one of the best defenders in the Premier League but now prices have gone crazy!  Lakuku 75 million,  Dembele to Barcelona for 120 million etc Van Dijk was only bought for about 12 million and even back then clubs were thinking that was too high from a player in Scotland. 

Great news for Celtic. They'll put their prices up citing van dijk's success. Someone will fall for it and end up with a dud. 

37 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Great news for Celtic. They'll put their prices up citing van dijk's success. Someone will fall for it and end up with a dud. 

I think they're getting between 7.5-12m from this sale... so I wouldn't be surprised if they point to this and bump their prices up.

I also think, at this point, if an English club is interested in one of your players... then the reasonable thing to do is ask for a lot of money. Because the league is flush with cash, for the most part, and clubs will pay these outrageous fees. Although it does help if you can catch that club breaking tapping-up rules and then demand a "premium" compared to another interested club to "repair the professional relationship" (I saw an article today about how Michael Edwards "repaired our working relationship" with Southampton... it was a stupid article basically amounting to "do you cunts want a boatload of money?" and Southampton saying "Sure").

Like I said, these fees are probably not a good thing for football. But us throwing money around to get our top targets is better for us than us throwing money around to get our 2rd/3rd/4th choice players (although it looks like Klopp is one to say "fuck signing players I don't want, I'll make do with what I have" - whereas Rafa and Rodgers were more open to alternatives).

This move should have happened last summer. For Saints delaying to Jan we should have dropped our offer to 60m.

On recent form thats still well above his value and what i suspect any other clubs would have been prepared to pay. 

Archived