talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool agree world record £75m fee for VVD

• Subscriber

He's an upgrade on what they have but he's never ever worth that. It's hardly like he's incapable of making silly errors himself. He was appalling a few weeks ago when they played us. Southampton must be pissing themselves laughing here. I bet they didn't think they'd be getting close to that but alas Liverpool cave in.

The Premier League really is in a world of its own. I haven't got a clue what he's ever done to justify going for that much.

Suppose it gives us a good reason to ask for mad money for Maguire in the summer when the inevitable links come in.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Harry said:

This move should have happened last summer. For Saints delaying to Jan we should have dropped our offer to 60m.

On recent form thats still well above his value and what i suspect any other clubs would have been prepared to pay. 

Then Saints would say fuck off we'll sell him to someone else...he's tied to a long term contract, you have no leverage 

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Then Saints would say fuck off we'll sell him to someone else...he's tied to a long term contract, you have no leverage 

Thats probably what we should have done. No other club would pay more than 40m on recent form. We seem to be trying to make good our summer fuckup by paying over the odds here. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Thats probably what we should have done. No other club would pay more than 40m on recent form. We seem to be trying to make good our summer fuckup by paying over the odds here. 

Man City were prepared to pay that much though. That's why we had to rush it through yesterday

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

You've paid about £5m more than what you would have in the Summer?

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Immense pressure but if he’s good enough he’ll be able to cope with that. It doesn’t solve the problems, a good goalkeeper is essential to a good defence so I wouldn’t expect huge improvements defensively until they sort that.

Totally agree with you here mate. I can't see Van Dijk making too much of an impact until they upgrade on Mignolet. A defence having confidence in their goalkeeper is vital for the unit to be successful.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Harry said:

This move should have happened last summer. For Saints delaying to Jan we should have dropped our offer to 60m.

On recent form thats still well above his value and what i suspect any other clubs would have been prepared to pay. 

You can hardly complain about Saints delaying the transfer when it was Liverpool who tapped him up and then had to drop their pursuit of him as a result.

I'm sure though that what Liverpool did was no different to what goes on in a large number of transfer deals just they got called out for it because Saints are tired of being everyone else's bitch when it comes to top players.

11 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Great news for Celtic. They'll put their prices up citing van dijk's success. Someone will fall for it and end up with a dud. 

There has been a historical discount on players in Scotland because Southampton were the only side that could be arsed to actually scout players up here, meaning that they didn’t have any competition.

All the other clubs were/are run by your typical mongs who refused to believe that good players could actually exist up here - look at Warnock’s quote on Palace turning down Van Dijk for £6 mil because he was too slow.

Hopefully now that more people are realising there are good players up here, Celtic will have the balls to ask for actual market rates.

On 28/12/2017 at 5:45 PM, Kitchen Sales said:

Saw his interview earlier where he said Sol Bamba is better at defending than Van Dijk :eek:

This is true but not in the way Warnock describes it. If we didn't have all that Pulis drama and the Mackay fiasco just after we would have landed Van Dijk and Cork.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Pep Talk said:

Won't lie I wish we could of got him but Liverpool need him more.

Lets see if he can step it up on the biggest stage.

you'll have to settle for Jonny Evans instead.

Sad times.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Its Liverpool mate! VVD and Solanke are the type of players needed to finally win a league title after so many years!

Well Liverpool are the only team to give us a game this season so they are doing something right

• 2 weeks later...

Virgil van Dijk has the potential to be a future Liverpool captain, according to Phil Thompson and Matt Le Tissier.

The 26-year-old, who became the world's most expensive defender after joining Liverpool for £75m in January, joined a list of players including Adam Lallana, Sadio Mane and Dejan Lovren who have swapped St Mary's for Anfield in recent seasons.

Le Tissier and Thompson believe the deal suited all parties as Van Dijk prepares to return to Southampton with Liverpool on Sunday, live on Sky Sports.

I guess, due to the lack of modern day leaders, all it takes is to publicly accuse a fellow professional of diving to be considered a future captain in modern football.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I guess, due to the lack of modern day leaders, all it takes is to publicly accuse a fellow professional of diving to be considered a future captain in modern football.

It wasn’t an accusation, he was stating a fact. Publicly calling him out if you will. 

Archived