talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Relegation Battle

• Subscriber

xD Telegraph reporting that West Brom can't sack him because no-one fancies it. They really have had a disaster season. I thought they had a decent summer window (FourFourTwo ranked theirs as the best in the league) and they even won their opening two games. It's just been one thing after another ever since though. This Barcelona story is typical of a relegation season and there are now reports coming out about some homophobic bullying campaign within their dressing room. God knows if it's true but you wouldn't be surprised the way things have gone.

Enter Leicester City. I swear if we lose there I'll die of banging my head against a wall repeatedly.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/4/2018 at 12:29, Kitchen Sales said:

We are at home to Southampton and Huddersfield next.

6 points and I think we will stay up.

4 points and it will go to the wire.

3 points and we are going to need to pull big wins out of the bag.

0 or 1 point and we are goners with our fixtures.

Arsenal at  home should be good for 3 points

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Stan said:

Would be amazed if Newcastle finish above Everton. 

Southampton and West Ham going down would be huge. 

I didn't notice that. I've got Newcastle down to pull off a couple of surprise home wins I think. It was either Chelsea or Arsenal at home I have Newcastle to win.

I can't believe I've got those two dropping. I instinctively have Huddersfield, Palace and Stoke all in bigger danger than those three. Southampton just aren't winning games though. I keep expecting them to pull clear and they don't.

I've probably done Everton a big disservice to be fair. They are crap but probably won't finish that low.

I need Stoke to get relegated. In the summer I had a tenner on Cardiff to make the top six of the Championship and Stoke to get relegated. It returns £320 and I can cash out for £170.

• Subscriber
On 3/5/2018 at 00:40, Dan said:

Just did the predictor.

image.thumb.png.2782ab271568af5d8c21d521ed3afdf1.png

Very interesting. We have to get 7th. I think I only had us down to win another two games and we still got it.

My three to drop looks a bit less surprising after this weekend.

I actually now think West Brom won't get another point all season. I can't name a single good thing about them as a side. They're as bad as Villa two years ago.

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Swansea v Stoke last game of the season could be a decider 

I think Swansea have enough to keep them clear. I think Stoke are just slightly worse than West Ham, so WBA, Stoke and Southampton for me 

46 minutes ago, Batard said:

I think Swansea have enough to keep them clear. I think Stoke are just slightly worse than West Ham, so WBA, Stoke and Southampton for me 

Looks squeaky bum for Swansea to make 40 points when looking at their fixtures. 

Got dicked at Brighton, couldn't even manage a single shot with 10 men against Huddersfield. I think some cracks are starting to show. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Looks squeaky bum for Swansea to make 40 points when looking at their fixtures. 

Got dicked at Brighton, couldn't even manage a single shot with 10 men against Huddersfield. I think some cracks are starting to show. 

Their away form is terrible but their home form has been superb, looking at the run in, they’re more capable of picking up points compared to the others. 

• Administrator

Southampton have West Ham in their next league game. Another huge match at the bottom there. They also have Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester and Man City left to play. 

Stoke have Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool in their remaining fixtures. And West Ham in the middle somewhere between those. 

• Subscriber

We play a lot of sides at the bottom. Still have games against Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Brighton to play. Would prefer that they aren't games where our opposition need points (although obviously that will be the case with some of them) as there's no easier game than one against a side with nothing to play for. When we stayed up with that run at the end of 2015 we played pretty much the whole of midtable who had nothing left to play for.

Southampton are the worst side I've seen all season. Game could still be going now and they wouldn't have scored.

Its such a rollercoaster of emotions, half time of the Bournemouth game the other week I had us staying up no bother and then 45 minutes later had us down.

Good result yesterday but we need to beat Huddersfield.

On 11/03/2018 at 16:47, Dan said:

We play a lot of sides at the bottom. Still have games against Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Brighton to play. Would prefer that they aren't games where our opposition need points (although obviously that will be the case with some of them) as there's no easier game than one against a side with nothing to play for. When we stayed up with that run at the end of 2015 we played pretty much the whole of midtable who had nothing left to play for.

I must admit after Liverpool I fancy us to sprint rather quickly to the finish line given Watford, Leicester, Bournemouth, Brighton and yourselves will hopefully have nothing to play for. We're more than capable of taking apart West Brom and Stoke too.

By getting these top teams out of the way when our squad has been stretched with injuries could have actually worked in our favour. 

Southampton could very easily end up with seven or less points given the fixtures they have left. West Brom have found themselves sprinting up a mountain. We only have to better one other teamqhich I can imagine being Stoke.

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

Southampton are the worst side I've seen all season. Game could still be going now and they wouldn't have scored.

Its such a rollercoaster of emotions, half time of the Bournemouth game the other week I had us staying up no bother and then 45 minutes later had us down.

Good result yesterday but we need to beat Huddersfield.

You'll be fine I think. It won't be pretty but you'll have enough. I'm convinced after your result at the weekend that you'll be fine and will pull it out of the bag. There are three worse teams in this league than Newcastle.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I must admit after Liverpool I fancy us to sprint rather quickly to the finish line given Watford, Leicester, Bournemouth, Brighton and yourselves will hopefully have nothing to play for. We're more than capable of taking apart West Brom and Stoke too.

By getting these top teams out of the way when our squad has been stretched with injuries could have actually worked in our favour. 

Southampton could very easily end up with seven or less points given the fixtures they have left. West Brom have found themselves sprinting up a mountain. We only have to better one other teamqhich I can imagine being Stoke.

You need to beat us really, you've done it once and I think you can do it again. We're a funny side. We can look brilliant at times and hopeless at others. Very little in-between with Leicester.

I think you've got to hope we're still in the FA Cup because that could become our focus.

You just need a freak result like say, Stoke beating Man City tonight and the whole thing swings again.

• Subscriber

For all of our shite away from home this season, we've picked up results at home - you don't see us shipping 3-0 home defeats like West Ham, West Brom have done this weekend and others have in previous weeks. Reckon Newcastle are picking up enough points at home to end up pretty comfortably safe.

I quite like Carvalhal but to be honest I'm also a bit gutted Swansea have dragged themselves out as they've gotten very boring and I was quite up for them going down with Stoke. No doubt they'll manage another 2-3 years of scraping survival through hiring and firing managers at appropriate times and other short term strategies until the underlying issues at the club eventually catch up with them (see Villa, Sunderland, West Brom).

• Subscriber

Can't help but think that's what Swansea have become now. A shame really as for years they were a perfect example of how to run a smaller club. Swansea City aren't a big club at all really but they turned out some really entertaining sides that wouldn't even be close to relegation.

I've resisted saying this about any side but after watching West Brom on Saturday I will be absolutely gobsmacked if they survive. They got their shot in the arm by taking the lead against us and they still succumbed to a heavy loss and a miserable, joyless performance. Hammered at home by a side who hadn't won in 6 after being level at half time. Not one shot on target in the second half. They're hopeless. I wouldn't be totally shocked if they lost every remaining game.

• Administrator

things took a turn for the worse for Stoke today.

You'd have thought they would be gunning for 3 points today given that their next 5 are:

Arsenal (a)
Tottenham (h)
West Ham (a)
Burnley (h)
Liverpool (a)

For me, the biggest game isn't against the top half teams there - it's the one against West Ham. especially if the Hammers continue to implode and not pick up that many points so that they'd still be in reach for Stoke.

Personally, I think Stoke and West Brom going down would be superb for the Premier League. Utterly boring and turgid clubs.

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Absolutely, wish we were at the dizzy heights of the Orient.

Yeah, nice one mate. 

I just don’t really get you digging out clubs for offering little to the Premier League when Everton are also one of those sides. 

In Europe three times in the last ten years, and what, one cup final? But yeah, you can add an extra year to the fascia at Goodison that you’ve been in the top division for years.

Archived