talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

New Years Resolutions

football forum

• Subscriber

Haha fucking hell it's worrying reading some of the stuff about drinking. I'm a fat cunt and I'm not that big a drinker at all. I just like my food far too much.

I don't think I've had a drink at home in years. I don't really like the taste of it enough. I'll only have it if I intend on being pissed.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Dan said:

Haha fucking hell it's worrying reading some of the stuff about drinking. I'm a fat cunt and I'm not that big a drinker at all. I just like my food far too much.

I don't think I've had a drink at home in years. I don't really like the taste of it enough. I'll only have it if I intend on being pissed.

I'm the same, don't drink at home unless it's family/friends round at Christmas. 

My problem is when she's working at the weekend. Go the pub during the day and say I'll be home at say 8pm but instead end up rolling in at 2am. That's a regular schoolboy error I make!

8 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm the same, don't drink at home unless it's family/friends round at Christmas. 

My problem is when she's working at the weekend. Go the pub during the day and say I'll be home at say 8pm but instead end up rolling in at 2am. That's a regular schoolboy error I make!

Dirty stop out? :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Dan said:

I'm the same around drinking at home. If i'm at a pub watching football i'll happily have a pint but I wouldn't do it if i'm watching a game in my own home. I know people that will have a glass of white or red every evening without fail and i've never really understood that culture.

5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm the same around drinking at home. If i'm at a pub watching football i'll happily have a pint but I wouldn't do it if i'm watching a game in my own home. I know people that will have a glass of white or red every evening without fail and i've never really understood that culture.

A glass of wine is good for your heart. Me personally i have a beer whenever i can, at home, at a pub, it doesn't matter, i just love it. Makes everything much more enjoyable.

1. Read a book a month - I’m going to try and switch between a sport book, like an autobiography or the like, and a factual, semi-educational book, I’ve bought one on Trading on Betfair recently and will read that next month. I’m going to try and self educate a bit more, both in terms of hobbies like Betfair and things that will work for me in terms of my career. I quite fancy learning more about buying stocks and shares.

2. Learn a language - Quite generic one really but rather than sit on the Tube to and from work playing Football Manager on my phone, I want to do something more valuable with my time so I want to read more, as above, and I’m going to download a few apps for learning a new language and give them a go. I don’t think they’ll be amazing and I’ll be fluent or anything but being able to learn a few sentences and phrases will be good. 

3. Give up fizzy drinks during the week - Work have a couple of fridges of fizzy drinks in the canteen that are free and refilled every day so I’ve got into the habit of having one a day, sometimes two and I’m going to knock it on the head in favour of water or a fruit tea. I’ve heard good things about people who’ve given fizzy drinks up alone that they’ve lost weight and that can’t hurt anyone. 

4. Save more and invest - I’m going to limit spending money on lunches and things like that in Work in order to save more to stick towards a deposit for a house and I’m going to try and save a small amount that I can invest in order to develop a bit of a rainy day fund. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

1. Read a book a month - I’m going to try and switch between a sport book, like an autobiography or the like, and a factual, semi-educational book, I’ve bought one on Trading on Betfair recently and will read that next month. I’m going to try and self educate a bit more, both in terms of hobbies like Betfair and things that will work for me in terms of my career. I quite fancy learning more about buying stocks and shares.

2. Learn a language - Quite generic one really but rather than sit on the Tube to and from work playing Football Manager on my phone, I want to do something more valuable with my time so I want to read more, as above, and I’m going to download a few apps for learning a new language and give them a go. I don’t think they’ll be amazing and I’ll be fluent or anything but being able to learn a few sentences and phrases will be good. 

3. Give up fizzy drinks during the week - Work have a couple of fridges of fizzy drinks in the canteen that are free and refilled every day so I’ve got into the habit of having one a day, sometimes two and I’m going to knock it on the head in favour of water or a fruit tea. I’ve heard good things about people who’ve given fizzy drinks up alone that they’ve lost weight and that can’t hurt anyone. 

4. Save more and invest - I’m going to limit spending money on lunches and things like that in Work in order to save more to stick towards a deposit for a house and I’m going to try and save a small amount that I can invest in order to develop a bit of a rainy day fund. 

those last 2 have worked very well for me in the past.

I don't have many fizzy drinks any more and, coupled with reducing the alcohol, it does make a considerable difference to lifestyle especially replacing it with water. At most I'll have a Diet Coke if I fancy but first resort is always water. 

With the saving money, setting yourself small and achievable goals works. It all adds up in the end. At my work we have a very good scheme called the Christmas Club where you choose an amount to be taken out of your salary for 11 months in a year (I chose £40/m for 2017) and at the end it gets paid to you (tax-free of course) in December's pay check. So December I had an extra £440. Even if I don't spend all of that on Xmas presents, it has gone towards saving more as time goes on. Homemade lunches make such a difference too!

3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

To put simply, need to eat less shit and drink less fizzy drink. I don't smoke and am not a big drinker as well, but am the old 'eat too much junk food and don't exercise'.

While I'm not an old bastard (32), I need to sort it out sooner rather than later.

You aren't exactly young now either. I'll be 32 next year myself and it's probably the best time to start looking after yourself more I'd say.

Gonna give up smoking again (got to do it, dodgy things going on inside me that don't feel smart) and I've invested in a top of the range all extras and options included e-Cigarette.  This one is apparently the best you can get and from reading the reviews it's more powerful than an iPhone and seems to have a processor in it.  Anyway... Brought back a carton of ciggies from Italy and until they're finished I won't be unpacking my computer generated electronic cigarette. 

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Gonna give up smoking again (got to do it, dodgy things going on inside me that don't feel smart) and I've invested in a top of the range all extras and options included e-Cigarette.  This one is apparently the best you can get and from reading the reviews it's more powerful than an iPhone and seems to have a processor in it.  Anyway... Brought back a carton of ciggies from Italy and until they're finished I won't be unpacking my computer generated electronic cigarette. 

I downloaded an app called Sober Time which sounds daft but that's helped me quit. It basically counts the time since you last smoked or whatever and sends you dumb notifications after 3 days, a week, a month etc but it's mostly the visual aid of looking at a counter that says 60 days and thinking what a waste it would be if I had a smoke and had to reset it. Works for me but can see it being pointless for most people.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I downloaded an app called Sober Time which sounds daft but that's helped me quit. It basically counts the time since you last smoked or whatever and sends you dumb notifications after 3 days, a week, a month etc but it's mostly the visual aid of looking at a counter that says 60 days and thinking what a waste it would be if I had a smoke and had to reset it. Works for me but can see it being pointless for most people.

Thanks for that mate... I'll check it out!

Out of curiosity... How many did you used to smoke a day?

• Subscriber
Just now, SirBalon said:

Thanks for that mate... I'll check it out!

Out of curiosity... How many did you used to smoke a day?

In England I never smoked at work but would tend to have one every couple of hours so 5 or 6 on a weekday then 7 or 8 at the weekend. Quit when I moved back to the island but kept social smoking which then turned back into having the odd one during the day etc so ended up going cold turkey for the first time since I was about 19.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

In England I never smoked at work but would tend to have one every couple of hours so 5 or 6 on a weekday then 7 or 8 at the weekend. Quit when I moved back to the island but kept social smoking which then turned back into having the odd one during the day etc so ended up going cold turkey for the first time since I was about 19.

Smoking any amount messes your insides up but that's not all that much you used to smoke mate.  When smoking regularly I've always been on a packet (20) a day which is way too much. My brother who's given up again used to smoke 2 to 3 packets a day! O.o

The last time I was using an e-cigarette I didn't smoke for all of two years before my son was born and on a night out with my friends I had one and it grew from there back into the habit I always had and stopped the e-cigarette altogether which in all honesty had already run it's course and wasn't working properly anymore... I made the excuse that it was because the e-cigarette wasn't functioning properly so as to keep on smoking instead of buying a new one.  But I'm back to feeling like crap again and that's why I've invested in the one I've just bought... Won't get caught out again that's for sure because I felt brilliant when I'd stopped and was on the electronic ciggie.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Smoking any amount messes your insides up but that's not all that much you used to smoke mate.  When smoking regularly I've always been on a packet (20) a day which is way too much. My brother who's given up again used to smoke 2 to 3 packets a day! O.o

The last time I was using an e-cigarette I didn't smoke for all of two years before my son was born and on a night out with my friends I had one and it grew from there back into the habit I always had and stopped the e-cigarette altogether which in all honesty had already run it's course and wasn't working properly anymore... I made the excuse that it was because the e-cigarette wasn't functioning properly so as to keep on smoking instead of buying a new one.  But I'm back to feeling like crap again and that's why I've invested in the one I've just bought... Won't get caught out again that's for sure because I felt brilliant when I'd stopped and was on the electronic ciggie.

Yeah it's not like I've been smoking 20 a day for 15 years but that's where I'd probably end up if I didn't draw the line somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 12/29/2017 at 04:45, Dan said:

Get into better shape. I did lose some weight a year and a bit ago and felt a lot better for it. My discipline's gone though and I need to regain it, the new year comes as a good time to start as it follows probably the unhealthiest part of the year.

Save money, and ensure that I'm not begging for payday like I have been the last two months - while I've been quite unlucky situation wise (arguably) it's not a position I liked being in and I felt a bit of a guilty pride amongst my mates that they're always skint and I never was - solely on their own inability to manage money more than anything. I got a bit complacent really.

Another one relating to money - carry it! I had a nickname of cash point once upon a time because I'm always asking for the nearest one. I often forget to carry it on me. It's stupid.

Work through my course in Leeds and hope that the three blocks of two weeks in this calendar year go as well as the first has.

Get promoted at work. My job's fairly easy and stress free, and is going to become even more stress free now that my line manager who is that bit too by the book for my liking is moving up and he's going to be replaced by someone who'll give me more control over what I'm doing. He's a nice bloke but he's got this tendency to make things harder for everyone than they should be and I'm not sure he realises he's doing it. He's going to be replaced by one of two people, both of them I'd say I've helped settle in and both ofthem I get on well with. I think either of them will let me do as I like, which suits me as when I'm given the chance to I can actually organise things xD. Ultimately though I need to progress and I'm on less money than I want to be on. I'm 24 years old and moving out of home is so far off being a realistic target it's embarrassing.

Look at getting a new car. This isn't a top priority as mine is relatively reliable, but it's a bit slow and small. It's still my first one and while it's been OK for the majority of the time, I fancy something new. As stated though I think other things would come before this.

Stop treating £10 bets as if they're nothing.

Sort out my sleeping pattern. While I'm lucky in the sense that I can get to work for 9am having gotten up at 8:15, I still go to bed too late and take it for granted. Ironic I type this at nearly 5am but who's arsed, Christmas is an exemption from all of these.

Don't go to our boxing day game if it's away. I don't think I've ever enjoyed one.

Don't let any female convince me I'm a cunt when I'm not. Something I failed to do for the majority of 2017.

Early update. The reds are failures. The greens are passes. The blacks are void or too early to say.

I'm going to the gym more regularly. Genuinely find it hard to grasp some people in here saying they're aiming for a 100 mile run and I struggle to manage a mile. Not that I'll ever be a runner but I'm appalling at it. Diet's improved as well. So far so good on this although there's a long way to go.

Money I've no issue with, although I'm set to fall slightly under my saving target for this month.

No female has yet convinced me a cunt, and quite frankly, there's no way it'll happen, because I know I'm not.

£10 bet one could be either really, I do the odd one just not as many.

Sleeping pattern's improved during the week, at the weekend it's horrendous, although during the week matters more.

Getting a new car, nothing done yet, probably harsh on myself giving this a red actually.

I think ultimately I'm in here to moan about work. My line manager's moved up and his replacement was sorted in the week. What didn't go to plan however was who is replacing him - while I thought it was one of two, four were actually interviewed and neither of the two we all expected to be in to get it did. To make matters worse, one of the two warned me about someone he'd found out who was going for it - his old boss, who is apparently an absolute pain to work under, worse than my current one and trust me he can be a pain. Surprise surprise, they've got the job.

It's annoyed me because I get the impression that my work is going in a proper disciplinary direction. What I've always quite liked about it was that a lot of the time I had a fair bit of control over what I did - in turn I got stuff done and everyone's a winner. I don't need to be micro-managed and yet I feel like that's literally the main basis behind the reason this new bloke's got the job. Not just me, the other one in my team who is now reunited with his old boss too.

I'll give it all a chance but I'm tempted to look elsewhere internally if it ends up being the ballache I envisage it could become. It made total sense to me to promote one of the others but shit happens.

Archived