The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - 1-4th January, 2018

football forum

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Some notes for tonight then...

- Moyes and Hodgson continue strong starts at their new clubs but Pardew is struggling to have an impact at West Brom. West Brom remain joint bottom on 16 points with Swansea.

- While Hughes is under the most public pressure, Pellegrino's Southampton are level with Stoke on 20 points which is arguably just as concerning given Southampton's comfortable finishes for the last several seasons.

- Although Watford have got one back at the Etihad, they have now conceded more league goals than every side in the league apart from Stoke and will have lost the same number of matches as West Brom in 19th. 1 win, 1 draw and 7 defeats in their last 9. All of this makes me happy that we didn't end up getting him to replace Koeman as next thing you know he'll be out the door at Watford.

• Administrator
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

Three points off the top half. Hodgson for Manager of the Season so far.

he's done a hell of a job so far tbf. 

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, HK85 said:

Can't believe the clamour people had for Michael Keane in the summer, me included. Talk of him being good enough for the better teams in the division hahaha. He's a bumbling Manc mess. 

The only player we have worth having around and currently playing is Pickford who will be snapped up sharpish. 

Never ever got the fuss. We had him on loan in the Championship and he was average at best. Got ripped to shreds for Derby when he came away here the following year and then when you look at Burnley's defence after losing him it looks like it's Dyche's system benefiting him as much as anything.

• Subscriber

You can't knock what Hodgson's done so far to be fair. I don't think it's out the picture that they finish in the top half.

This is set to be the most unpredictable relegation battle I can remember. You can pick literally any three of about 10/11.

West Brom haven't won in 19 games, they've played 21, yet could go out of the bottom three with a win next game xD it's absolutely ridiculous.

On 07/03/2017 at 8:45 PM, Dan said:

I know I said in the summer it was an obscene price but in hindsight I was wrong, we should've bought Keane.

Not so sure you've been truthful here. 

Not even Allardyce's defensive set up can get the best out of him. 

6 minutes ago, Cicero said:

How many Arsenal players are injured? Fully rested Hazard and Fabregas. Would be mad to go there and play for a draw 

Why in earth's name would you go with a draw in mind to play us?

as long as you're organised you'll win easily. If you decide to play a tit-for-tat game and go all mental then anything can happen as it did with us against Spurs. This should be a victory and it's an easier game than the ones you failed in recently and expected to win.  Conte will make sure he transmits how serious this game is and I have no doubts you'll win. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, HK85 said:

Not so sure you've been truthful here. 

Not even Allardyce's defensive set up can get the best out of him. 

I've had a mare there. I must've been in a good mood.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Why in earth's name would you go with a draw in mind to play us?

as long as you're organised you'll win easily. If you decide to play a tit-for-tat game and go all mental then anything can happen as it did with us against Spurs. This should be a victory and it's an easier game than the ones you failed in recently and expected to win.  Conte will make sure he transmits how serious this game is and I have no doubts you'll win. 

We've struggled mate against you of late, Wenger does well against Conte, we have one win in five. Conte has been a shambles tactically against you lot but given who we've rested and who didn't feature at the weekend it's looks like he'll finally play the three man midfield, we saw the difference it made in the second half of the game against you earlier in the season.

One of the reasons he's made that change in formation, is that when we play with just two central midfielders better teams outnumber us in midfield and it allows them to control and dominate the ball. The amount of space Xhaka had in the game earlier this season and in the FA Cup final was a joke, this combined with the fact that you like to press high really hurts us. We don't do well against teams that keep the ball well, add to the fact that a lot of our defence aren't comfortable when pressurised and Morata isn't as strong of an outlet compared to Costa.

I want revenge for that cup final.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived