talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sky Sports La Liga Power Rankings 2017-2018

I'm not sure how it works and what not, but this is "Sky Sports' La Liga power rankings" going into the New Year-

4195848.jpg

Interesting...

Whats important for me is how they work this out because I'm always dubious and wary about this sort of point ranking system.

But for debate's sake seeing as there ARE various players many don't think about when watching La Liga like for example Joan Jordán who is having an absolute blast of a season... I've really enjoyed watching him this season so far.  Another debating point is the amount of Basque players up there and Northern players in general.  Like they say in Spain... "El río vuelve a su cauce"

Basque players and northern Spanish players were the ones that historically built the league's prestige.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said, I don't know how it works, but a lot of it looks quite accurate to me(especially the top 2), apart from Busquets being a bit low and also the likes of Illarramendi. I thought it would be an interesting thread as I'm guessing these ranking will change all the time and look different by the end of the season. The problem with these type of rankings is that playing in certain roles can go against you, especially defensive midfielders.

It's got to be said that seeing 2 keepers up there is brilliant as I'm guessing in these type of systems, attacking players are the ones who will be able to gather up the most points.

I've found out now how it works:-

skysports-graphic-power-rankings-maths_4

How are the Sky Sports Power Rankings calculated?

Each week we list the top-performing players in the Premier League and La Liga. These Power Rankings are based on points awarded to players for 32 different statistics - from goals and assists to blocks and tackles.

Goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders and forwards receive a different number of points for certain achievements - for instance, a defender is awarded more points than a forward for scoring a goal.

The standings will take into account the number of Power Ranking points a player has earned over the past five weeks in a season. However, in week five, the value of week four's points are reduced by 20 per cent, week three's by 40 per cent, and so on.

We'll also provide a second set of rankings for the top 50 season performers, which will reveal each player's accumulative points tally for the season, without any percentage reductions.

See the graphic below for the maths behind the Power Rankings...

4085528.jpg

Like all these systems, they have their flaws but they also do give you a general idea of how players are performing overall. Ter Stegen being second, for example, is really a true reflection of what he has been doing this season.

• The title was changed to Sky Sports La Liga Power Rankings 2017-2018
  • Administrator
Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

The imagine in the first post is now wrong and that's for the last 5 games. This is the proper one that should have been there(and was until it was edited for some reason?):-

I've edited it again to show that picture. 

It was @SirBalon's fault. Created a right old mess.

10 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The imagine in the first post is now wrong and that's for the last 5 games. This is the proper one that should have been there(and was until it was edited for some reason?):-

4195848.jpg

For me Jonathan Viera sticks out like a sore thumb there mate... He's had a terrible season so far considering how good he actually is. Why he ever moved to UD Las Palmas is beyond me. He needs to step up and let's see what Paco Jémez can juice out of him.

Good to see Ter Stegen's recognition!

Archived