talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheffield Wednesday The Next Club to be Mismanaged

They’ve recently appointed Katrien Meire, the woman who has been the face of destroying Charlton, has got a job at Wednesday and I’ve read this today elsewhere; 

"There's a reason I've been banging on repeatedly on this thread about the incompetent way Wednesday are being run, and this is the most terrifying decision by far. They do need a voice with football experience in the boardroom - but seriously, why Meire? What on earth did Dejphon Chansiri see in her given her experiences at Charlton? It's quite clear the clown who runs the club doesn't give a flying fuck about the fans, see the loss of stripes, the badge change, the massive whacking up of ticket prices, now he seems unaware of (or worse, welcoming) the potential for Meire to actively alienate the fanbase.

We've got a mass of injuries at the moment, that happens, but at the end of last season the entire medical team was sacked and a bunch of Carvalhal's mates brought in instead. We've had loads more injuries this season, many of them muscular. Word is that many of the players don't trust the medical team and are getting treatment elsewhere. Forestieri has been in Italy pretty much continually for his recovery.

We still don't know who recruits our players - possibly Doyen Sports who sell us their clients. The chairman doesn't like selling players "because they're part of the family" or something similarly nebulous so we've got an ageing bloated squad on long contracts with several players simply picking up their wage. This also seems a very limited strategy - who would want to join us if we potentially wouldn't sell them upwards?

We mutually consented with Carvalhal on Christmas Eve and still don't have anyone in line for a new manager, we're been linked with ridiculous names like Pablo Fonseca and Andre Villas Boas (admittedly the latter was in the S*n so they probably just made it up), we've got some very difficult fixtures coming up and there's a transfer window open. Caretaker boss Lee Bullen (who cares about the club and gets it) said "we need to appoint a new coach" in the post match interviews today, which indicates no appointment is imminent. Bear in mind Middlesbrough sacked Monk at the same time, had Pulis in straight away and won at Preston today.

Because the chairman makes every single fucking decision it means the club barely functions as an entity, we charge these massive prices and the club is run worse than before Chansiri took over and it was hardly an organisation of shining brilliance and wonder under Mandaric. Interested to see what he tries to charge for season tickets when they go on sale in the next few weeks, in the last couple of years he's got away with price rises because there was the potential of Premier League football. There's no chance of that happening this time.

We are going to get relegated this season or next. There are going to be protests. Which I'm quite looking forward to participating in given that Chansiri priced me out of regular attendance back in 2015

• The title was changed to Sheffield Wednesday Ruined by Mismanagement Next?
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How quickly the tables turn. I can't help but find it funny given how arrogant Wednesday fans flipped when things were looking rosy the last two seasons.

Milan Mandaric actually did a brilliant job at Sheffield Wednesday turning them around from the shambles they were and leaving them in a good position to kick on. I know this for fact because I know the state they were in and how he reduced that. He was always thought of very highly behind the scenes, the fans do not always see everything. They think they know, but they don't.

The Thai's came in and ploughed money into the side and assembled a very good squad for this level. Whether Carvahal was the right person or not to get the most out of them remains to be seen but they came close to promotion twice, albeit losing in a playoff final and a semi. But that squad should have gone up, end of story.

They have massively underachieved this season. They started with Jordan Rhodes, Gary Hooper, Steven Fletcher, Sam Winnall and Fernando Forestieri as their strikers. That's actually insane. How can you not compete with that?

And to make matters worse, they are being upstaged by Sheffield United. They need someone in quick because there is a danger now they will get sucked into a dogfight. It's not a good sign if a limited team like Burton are coming to your patch and smashing you 3-0.

• The title was changed to Sheffield Wednesday The Next Club to be Mismanaged

I never understood why someone would buy a football club and actively go out of their way to make themselves hated with the unpopular decisions they make. See: Tan, Bechetti, Oyston, perhaps Fernandes, the Venky's and SISU collectives.

Maybe it's just bad advice from people within the game (Fernandes). Maybe it's naivety, and they think that their decisions will take the club forward (Venky's) Maybe they actually stand to make a lot of money by crashing a football club into the ground (SISU?)

However, I think for some, it's more than that. For the likes of Tan, Bechetti, Oyston and Chansiri, is it not because nobody has ever told them 'no' as they amassed their fortune? For someone who can afford near enough any of life's luxuries, is the next logical step to have power/control over thousands of people in some way? I'm certain people like this enjoy being hated, perhaps because being loved, revered and praised just isn't enough any more.

(I dunno, the shit you think about to deaden the misery of going to the gym.)

This Chansiri was quite well liked at Wednesday from what I have seen. I don't know if Chansiri is the decision maker here with sacking Carlos Carvahal and appointing Katrien Miere, or he's got someone working as Chief Executive and making these bizarre decisions, but his popularity is dwindling. 

I honestly think some people just want something to play with and see Football Clubs as nothing other than a play thing, where they can throw some of their millions of pounds of pocket money at it, till they get bored and sell up. They care little for history of the club or whether they make good or bad decisions.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Lucas said:

How quickly the tables turn. I can't help but find it funny given how arrogant Wednesday fans flipped when things were looking rosy the last two seasons.

Milan Mandaric actually did a brilliant job at Sheffield Wednesday turning them around from the shambles they were and leaving them in a good position to kick on. I know this for fact because I know the state they were in and how he reduced that. He was always thought of very highly behind the scenes, the fans do not always see everything. They think they know, but they don't.

The Thai's came in and ploughed money into the side and assembled a very good squad for this level. Whether Carvahal was the right person or not to get the most out of them remains to be seen but they came close to promotion twice, albeit losing in a playoff final and a semi. But that squad should have gone up, end of story.

They have massively underachieved this season. They started with Jordan Rhodes, Gary Hooper, Steven Fletcher, Sam Winnall and Fernando Forestieri as their strikers. That's actually insane. How can you not compete with that?

And to make matters worse, they are being upstaged by Sheffield United. They need someone in quick because there is a danger now they will get sucked into a dogfight. It's not a good sign if a limited team like Burton are coming to your patch and smashing you 3-0.

Mandaric I always thought was OK but a bit up his own arse. He had to take a lot of responsibility for us getting relegated in 2008 but he got the appointment after that absolutely spot on, quite frankly, the appointment that turned our fortunes around. He's definitely better than these clowns who own Wednesday now.

It's scary how many people buy into bullshit PR. Those price rises were an absolute disgrace considering the place wasn't close to being full before he turned up. I think after an initial burst they're only heading one way now. Seeing what Sheff Utd are doing only rubs salt into the wound as well. They could learn a bit from them.

14 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

This Chansiri was quite well liked at Wednesday from what I have seen. I don't know if Chansiri is the decision maker here with sacking Carlos Carvahal and appointing Katrien Miere, or he's got someone working as Chief Executive and making these bizarre decisions, but his popularity is dwindling. 

I honestly think some people just want something to play with and see Football Clubs as nothing other than a play thing, where they can throw some of their millions of pounds of pocket money at it, till they get bored and sell up. They care little for history of the club or whether they make good or bad decisions.

I was under that impression too, but since they bottled the playoffs, and Chansiri has brought in some witch who has helped Duchatelet ruin Charlton with her 'fuck the fans' philosophy, I'm not any more. 

I'd be pissed off too if I'd been promised the world by a magical rich foreign bloke (in return for a huge hike in tickets), only to see the club stagnate. Although, you could argue that their transfer policy is partly to blame - 5 strikers of high championship/low premiership quality in one side? Madness. 

7 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

There’s no such thing as fit & proper the questions asked are “how much?” and “we need to run a credit check” that’s all. It’s all about Greed.

There isn’t a test that can define whether a person is going to be a “good” owner and make decisions fans will like, because ultimately that’s what a lot of the angst towards owners is. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

There isn’t a test that can define whether a person is going to be a “good” owner and make decisions fans will like, because ultimately that’s what a lot of the angst towards owners is. 

You could do though, if the football league had a brain they could design a decent fit & proper test. 

Ask a prospective owner for a 1-2 year immediate plan & a 5-10 year plan. A commitment to a league wide charter that ensured a commitment to regulated ticket & merchandise costs, promotion of home grown youth etc 

• 7 months later...

Think they will struggle this year, I saw them play a couple times last year and they didn't look that good.   No transfers and losing a couple players and now with financial issues, they have a fight on their hands to stay up.  I think they will just do it, but it will be a nail biter.

• Subscriber
On 06/08/2018 at 23:41, Smiley Culture said:

This Chansiri has tonight admitted in a fan’s forum that the club is in trouble. 

The tweets at @Owlstalk are from the fans forum. Damning reading and further proof that staking it all to reach the Premier League is not a viable business plan. 

I've never ever got how people can't see this.

How it could have all been so different if Carvalhal hadn't completely bottled it for them on 2 consecutive occasions.

We're back to being the number 1 club in Sheffield again, and although our ownership/board situation could be clearer, it pales in significance to their problems now.

I remember in April 2007 watching Sheffield Wednesday complete these quick twenty yard passes with absolute ease and thinking this unknown bottom half club are going to storm the league the following season with Chris Brunt, Glenn Whelan and Madjid Bougherra. 

That summer they sold Brunt to West Brom, Whelan to Stoke, and signed nobody. I posted on one of their forums at the age of SIXTEEN if they sell Brunt and Whelan, then don't sign Rasiak, they will not get promoted. Within two weeks I had letters through the post from the club threatening to sue me for slander.

So with that mind, I guess they have improved in the last decade

Archived