Nottm Forest vs Arsenal, 16.00
Shrewsbury vs West Ham, 14.00
Tottenham vs AFC Wimbledon, 15.00

Monday 8th January, 2018
Brighton vs Crystal Palace, 20.00

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as we win tomorrow and we give a couple of youngsters a chance I'll be happy, Hopefully Lallana plays too and puts in a good performance to regain a bit of form because we need him back to his best.

im predicting this will be one of the most boring games of the season though, Everton will go with the same approach as the last derby game so it's not gonna be pretty.

• Subscriber

Heard conflicting reports about whether Tosun will be able to feature or not.

Sounds like Liverpool will be short of their key players and there's no reason why we couldn't trouble them but I expect nothing from us.

Can see a load of Premier League teams going out here. Three of Liverpool, Everton, Man City, Burnley, Brighton and Palace will go out and I can see a fair few sides playing weaker sides and facing the possibility of a defeat to a defeat. Bournemouth are notorious for resting players in cup ties, I think West Ham will after two games in three days and Swansea, West Brom and Southampton could do as well. 

15 hours ago, Cicero said:

Batshuayi

Musonda Jr.---------------------Pedro

Alonso----------Ampadu----Drinkwater----Zappacosta

Rudiger----Cahill---Azpilicueta

Caballero

Musonda not cleared as fit yet, i'd go with Kenedy for Alonso the rest is pretty much spot on.

Banana skin.

Luton are going really well in the league and they'll come up with nothing to lose, imagine we'll rotate a fair bit too so I wouldn't be surprised if we went out or were taken to a replay. No excuses for not winning though.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Toony said:

Banana skin.

Luton are going really well in the league and they'll come up with nothing to lose, imagine we'll rotate a fair bit too so I wouldn't be surprised if we went out or were taken to a replay. No excuses for not winning though.

no midweek game coming up and so a stronger squad can be played to avoid the banana skin.

Benitez takes this competition quite seriously doesn't he?

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

no midweek game coming up and so a stronger squad can be played to avoid the banana skin.

Benitez takes this competition quite seriously doesn't he?

No, our B team got knocked out by Oxford United last season.

Rafa won't want a cup run, it will be weakened teams until we are either looking safe or knocked out. We should have enough to beat Luton at home. Away I'd be concerned but it seems like all our fans have this expectation of defeat.

Luton players will be taking selfies on the pitch and waving to their families in the crowd, that mentality should give us an advantage.

• Subscriber

All the Everton journalists on the Echo reckon we'll have a go tonight because Allardyce wants silverware xD.

We'll probably line up

Robles - Pickford - Stekelenburg

Kenny - Holgate - Williams - Jagielka - Keane - Martina

Schneiderlin

Rooney

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

All the Everton journalists on the Echo reckon we'll have a go tonight because Allardyce wants silverware xD.

We'll probably line up

Schneiderlin

Rooney

Keane's injured...

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

We'll probably line up

Schneiderlin

Rooney

Rooney in goal?

Strong front 3 to be fair. 

15 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Biggest load of shite on here, and we have Brian. 

If you don't like someone's opinion either ignore it or debate it instead of dishing out nothing but personal insults.

Luton will highly likely be doing what I said, seen teams do it before, it is perfectly feasible to argue that it could have a negative effect on a teams approach to the game. Treating something as a big day out when the opposition doesn't risks becoming an overawing factor and a loss of focus.

2 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

If you don't like someone's opinion either ignore it or debate it instead of dishing out nothing but personal insults.

Luton will highly likely be doing what I said, seen teams do it before, it is perfectly feasible to argue that it could have a negative effect on a teams approach to the game. Treating something as a big day out when the opposition doesn't risks becoming an overawing factor and a loss of focus.

Luton are top of the league, they’re a professional side and they’ve got a decent pedigree of upsetting sides. 

The most likely to be waving to family is the reserves from Newcastle who are actually playing in a proper game instead of an under-23 game in front of two men and a dog at Whitley Bay. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Luton are top of the league, they’re a professional side and they’ve got a decent pedigree of upsetting sides. 

The most likely to be waving to family is the reserves from Newcastle who are actually playing in a proper game instead of an under-23 game in front of two men and a dog at Whitley Bay. 

It doesn't mean Luton can't overcome it. It is just a factor that exists to be dealt with. No need to get offended on a lower league teams behalf as if it somehow makes them  out to be unprofessional. Not being overawed by the stadium and the occasion of getting to play there is an important factor for any manager to tackle, selfies and waving is part of that. Seen it numerous times over the years when teams come to St. James' Park, including European teams. You called their fans day trippers yourself, that is a mentality that is a risk to any team, it is going to exist as something to overcome, no matter how much you want to pretend it won't just because they are professionals. They are human, not robots. Anything drummed up as a massive occasion requires rising to that occasion, if they were just "professionals" there would be no such thing as an occasion, you could just play every game identically, but that just isn't reality.

The 1 or 2 reserve players we might put out have the same thing to deal with to a slightly lesser extent. They always would regardless of when they make their debut. That is just a fact of life. I highly doubt the grand total of those two will out number or even come near equalising the degree to which it is a factor for Luton.

Our major hurdle isn't the same as theirs for this game. Our major hurdle is just throwing a random group together with the expectation that they will be a fluid enough collective to bring out the individual talent that should be of a higher level.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived