talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2017/18 FA Cup Third Round Match Chat - 5-8th January 2018

football forum

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Hold on, but Forest made 6 changes of their own today which were apparently kids... I don’t follow the Championship all that much but that was a quote from one of that lot on BT Sport.  I don’t know if the defeat is embarrassing or not considering all of this, but what’s for sure is that in this particular game this evening, the “second string” excuse can’t be used.

Why not? Whether it was one side who fielded a second string or both, Arsenal have chosen to field a second string, we are yet to see whether the decision to was correct or not, we'll find out in due course.

1 minute ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Think he will go all in on the league cup as well now. I reckon he will play a strong teams in the semis.

I hadn't even thought of that.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why not? Whether it was one side who fielded a second string or both, Arsenal have chosen to field a second string, we are yet to see whether the decision to was correct or not, we'll find out in due course.

I hadn't even thought of that.

He is going to need something this season. The club are already starting the process of life after him. They have hired a new head scout who is bringing in his own team and we have hired a new head of football operations.

I think he would have been let go last season had we had the structure in place but we didn't and also him winning the cup just about saved him.

If he performs poorly in the second half of the season I think the club will bin him off and move on, unless he pulls something out the hat e.g Europa League or top 4 and a league cup.

9 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

He is going to need something this season. The club are already starting the process of life after him. They have hired a new head scout who is bringing in his own team and we have hired a new head of football operations.

I think he would have been let go last season had we had the structure in place but we didn't and also him winning the cup just about saved him.

If he performs poorly in the second half of the season I think the club will bin him off and move on, unless he pulls something out the hat e.g Europa League or top 4 and a league cup.

I doubt they'll sack him. Hopefully he will realise it is time to go. I've always thought wenger had more stick than he deserves but it is getting to the stage now where you quite easily name managers who could probably make us better.

5 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Hopefully he will realise it is time to go.

Really!!! xD

Then why didn’t this generous decision from Wenger to the club’s benefit not occur at least 7 or 8 years ago?

He’ll realise on Judgment Day because God is an Arsenal fan. :ph34r:

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

quite a few already out/not yet through

Leicester
Swansea
Arsenal
Burnley
Bournemouth
Stoke
West Ham
Chelsea
Everton

Very good round on the whole for Football League sides. Opens it up even more if Premier League sides are drawn with each other next round. 

You'd imagine Leicester, West Ham and Chelsea will go through, and probably Bournemouth too. I'd have my doubts on Swansea. I don't think they're a better team than Wolves. I thought they'd lose yesterday.

The "3 FA Cups in 4 seasons doesn't mean much" brigade now on a "Wenger always does this, doesn't care about cups" meltdown. xD Embarrassing as usual. There are definitely legitimate reasons to criticise but they can't help but show no sense of reality and make themselves look stupid.

32 minutes ago, 6666 said:

The "3 FA Cups in 4 seasons doesn't mean much" brigade now on a "Wenger always does this, doesn't care about cups" meltdown. xD Embarrassing as usual. There are definitely legitimate reasons to criticise but they can't help but show no sense of reality and make themselves look stupid.

I know what you're saying mate and I made that point myself. But the fact is arsenal are getting worse. And we're being overtaken not just by clubs spending stupid money. Its by clubs with similar resources. 

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Not really... the “Premier League” brand name means nothing to me.  They’ve been European Champions twice!

Not saying the premier league brand is the absolute pinnacle or not saying I knew about the Forest's team that won the champions league titles under Clough but your statement sounds very ridiculous to me mate.

Champions league is a cup tournament, a knock out trophy anyone can win on their day. How is that a scale to call that team/club as big as Arsenal? I have no idea how many league titles and other cups forest won overall but to say they are equal to Arsenal just because they won two knock out cups, no matter how big it is, despite being in the lower division for so long doesnt sound right to me. 

Nottingham Forest were a big club and to be honest I'd love to see them in the Premier League again because of the history they have but to suggest they're still a massive club is a bit ridiculous. Also important to remember they technically won the European Cup rather than the Champions League which isn't as big an achievement because the format was a lot simpler, less strenuous and the quality definitely wasn't as high. Definitely think there should be more of a distinction made between the two formats because of how much better it is now.

2 hours ago, Asura said:

Not saying the premier league brand is the absolute pinnacle or not saying I knew about the Forest's team that won the champions league titles under Clough but your statement sounds very ridiculous to me mate.

Champions league is a cup tournament, a knock out trophy anyone can win on their day. How is that a scale to call that team/club as big as Arsenal? I have no idea how many league titles and other cups forest won overall but to say they are equal to Arsenal just because they won two knock out cups, no matter how big it is, despite being in the lower division for so long doesnt sound right to me. 

I was doing some cheap wumming when I said Forest was a bigger club because I was pissed off at getting knocked out.  But I stand by the fact on what I said where being a European Champions is the pinnacle of football on this continent.  Guardiola wasn't signed to win Premier Leagues, Pep was signed to place the already massive investment Man City's owners have made these past years at the top of European football. It's the way it's seen in Europe.

As for the "Premier League Brand" I'm talking about the fact that pre-Premier League there was league football and those league championships count too which makes the brand redundant.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I was doing some cheap wumming when I said Forest was a bigger club because I was pissed off at getting knocked out.  But I stand by the fact on what I said where being a European Champions is the pinnacle of football on this continent.  Guardiola wasn't signed to win Premier Leagues, Pep was signed to place the already massive investment Man City's owners have made these past years at the top of European football. It's the way it's seen in Europe.

As for the "Premier League Brand" I'm talking about the fact that pre-Premier League there was league football and those league championships count too which makes the brand redundant.

Probably because they already won two in the last 4 yrs or so? Why were Real Madrid wanting to win the league last year? Isnt that because they won two Champions league titles before that in 3 yrs? Didnt the likes of Morientes say the league is the priority for Real Madrid for last season? Obviously thats because they won two cups and were wanting to win the league too after 5 yrs. So your example of Pep and City falls flat on its face in this case since for City CL is more important because they have never won that once. 

The argument of which is better between league or the CL is totally subjective and I personally believe league is more harder to win because of the longevity of the competition but that doesnt mean champions league is not worth it to me. However to say a club like Nottingham Forest to be Arsenal's level because they won two cups about 30 yrs ago and havent been even in the first division ever since (maybe they were for a tiny period which I dont know) doesnt make sense to me. 

Apart from the appalling defending one thing that really caught my eye is that bench. I know it is a cup tie, but Wenger had to have some big guns on the bench just in case things didn't go his way. The bench he presented are kids who wouldn't make a big change in any case. Is he keeping the team fresh for the League Cup semi? 

Conflicted on our loss, my initial reaction was not another early Cup exit. The last few years we have made a habit of getting knocked out of the League Cup and FA Cup as early as we can, playing lesser teams and generally getting embarrassed by lower league teams (Oxford Utd, Walsall, Notts County now).

But having watched the highlights, their goal was a nice strike but really it was a keeper mistake (back up keeper) that saw it go in. On another day we could have won that game by 3 goals quite easily, just one of those games unfortunately and we'll focus on the league. Performance-wise we were good, result not so much.

14 hours ago, 6666 said:

Nottingham Forest were a big club and to be honest I'd love to see them in the Premier League again because of the history they have but to suggest they're still a massive club is a bit ridiculous. Also important to remember they technically won the European Cup rather than the Champions League which isn't as big an achievement because the format was a lot simpler, less strenuous and the quality definitely wasn't as high. Definitely think there should be more of a distinction made between the two formats because of how much better it is now.

Absolute rubbish. Nottingham's Forest have achieved far more than Arsenal ever have in Europe.

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

1 league title? 

Like saying we are bigger than Arsenal because we won the CL and they haven't. 

Chelsea are bigger than Arsenal. Not in English football folklore history, but in terms of achieving goals, yes. 

11 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Absolute rubbish. Nottingham's Forest have achieved far more than Arsenal ever have in Europe.

Who said otherwise? You seemed to have missed the point, let me help you out.

My point was that when those successes were so long ago and you haven't even been in the top league of your country for so long then your reputation seriously starts to diminish and people very much seperate what you were from what you are. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Then I added that the European Cup format was quite shit anyway compared to the Champions League format. At no point did I say Arsenal have achieved more in Europe.

What part are you disputing? Would be idiotic to dispute either point.

SirBalon gets all disillusioned and goes "wasn't football perfect in the past" or "everyone's better than my English team but not my Spanish team" regularly. And you obsessively rally against modern football without caring to make sense specifically when talking about Arsenal regularly. I'll put your comments down to those facts.

3 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Who said otherwise? You seemed to have missed the point, let me help you out.

My point was that when those successes were so long ago and you haven't even been in the top league of your country for so long then your reputation seriously starts to diminish and people very much seperate what you were from what you are. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Then I added that the European Cup format was quite shit anyway compared to the Champions League format. At no point did I say Arsenal have achieved more in Europe.

What part are you disputing? Would be idiotic to dispute either point.

SirBalon gets all disillusioned and goes "wasn't football perfect in the past" or "everyone's better than my English team but not my Spanish team" regularly. And you obsessively rally against modern football without caring to make sense specifically when talking about Arsenal regularly. I'll put your comments down to those facts.

What you were attempting to do was belittle their achievements by trying to diminish the European Cup, your comments are your opinion and it's one I totally disagree with. The Champions League is a weaker tournament, for me far less competitive with only the same few moneyed teams making the final rounds, the first half of it is a complete waste of time. 

Your posts always seem to be calling people 'idiots' or 'stupid' for disagreeing with you, it only makes yourself look stupid though. As a stream watching fan who's never been to a live Arsenal game I think we can assume you have very different views to someone like SirBalon, who as much as I disagree with quite often, is a genuine football fan.

18 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

What you were attempting to do was belittle their achievements by trying to diminish the European Cup, your comments are your opinion and it's one I totally disagree with. The Champions League is a weaker tournament, for me far less competitive with only the same few moneyed teams making the final rounds, the first half of it is a complete waste of time. 

Your posts always seem to be calling people 'idiots' or 'stupid' for disagreeing with you, it only makes yourself look stupid though. As a stream watching fan who's never been to a live Arsenal game I think we can assume you have very different views to someone like SirBalon, who as much as I disagree with quite often, is a genuine football fan.

The discussion about Nottingham Forest being a massive club was already taking place and seeing as it's a forum I decided to join in and make the obvious point that they're no longer what they were.

I wasn't specifically trying to belittle their European Cup successes either, was belittling the competition as a whole. :ph34r:

The competition and quality in that format was quite easily lower. It was a quick knockout competition between the champions of European leagues which you might think sounds great but in reality that pretty much means 4 or 5 good teams (if I'm being generous) in the whole tournament. Compared to winning the Champions League it's nowhere near as big of an achievement.

The European Cup should never be diminished. It was much harder to win. And it was miles better. Miles.

If anything, I would question whether the quality of the Champions League has got worse by letting more and more average teams in when for example, you have someone like Bayern Munich going through 10-2 on aggregate in the last 16, when we should be entering the business end of the competition.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived