• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2017/18 FA Cup Third Round Match Chat - 5-8th January 2018

football forum

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Indicative of the punditry in this country that the commentators actually said "that's why they paid 75 million for him" bullshit. No that's not what they paid for but I'm sure it's a nice bonus.

Fucking Everton all over to lose this match because the only player who's actually been decent for us this season fucks it up in the last five minutes.

Good game to be fair, we played alright given how fucking awful we are. Time to get stuck into the transfer window and scrap like bastards for 7th place and hope it turns out to be Europa again.

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

Don’t know why Holgate lost his shit so badly, even grabbing the ref, at being called a Filho de Puta (judging by to the slo mo)?

That’s like the bog standard Portuguese football insult.

They'll have convinced everyone it was the n word by the time you wake up tomorrow.

50 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

I was impressed with how comfortable and composed Van Dijk looked tonight, Hopefully he can bring some much needed stability to our back 4 and be a calming influence.

Not the best night to judge him against a side like that but a good game to ease him in. Bigger tests will come when we're under pressure against a decent side. Great way to end his debut though! 

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

They'll have convinced everyone it was the n word by the time you wake up tomorrow.

Given that both managers have basically refused to comment on it but there's an FA investigation and a Liverpool media person (you can fill in the actual title if you're arsed) stating that the club will cooperate fully to establish the facts I'd say it already smells like there's more to it than Everton fans having a hissy fit. 

Aside from (or including depending on how partisan we want to be) that shithouse push on Firmino, Holgate showed again tonight he's the best centre half at the club.

34 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Of course there is a moment at which the coverage didn’t show Firmino’s lips, but it does seem unimaginable. Yet, a lot of people seem utterly convinced.

If anything Firmino is roughly as dark as Holgate, he was abusing him in Portuguese not English, the ref is inbetween the two and heard nothing, and also Holgate was clearly already angry and riled up over the penalty.

If there’s no further evidence then I don’t see what can happen, but who knows what is still to come out. The refs had a talk over something but I just can’t get my head around the ref being closer to Firmino than Holgate was.

Maybe the investigation will consist of asking what “filho da puta” means xD

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is that like son of a whore or something?

Firmino said: "Cê tá louco?! Filho da puta!"  It translates as: Are you crazy? Son of a b.... ?"

The racist term used in general to insult a black person in portuguese is "macaco" (monkey). 

1 hour ago, Redcanuck said:

Surely Holgate pushing Firmino into the stands is violent conduct and did Firmino say something racist to Holgate?  No cards given at the time I think, so the FA can deal with this after the fact.

Racist? Aren't they both of African heritage!? xD

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

Racist? Aren't they both of African heritage!? xD

That's one of the strange things about it.  Something Firmino said set Holgate off, and I don't think he understands Portuguese.    But the media is quick to play the race card and it would not be a surprise if they got it wrong or that Holgate misuderstood what he heard.  Will be interesting to see what the FA says as does about this.

If Firmino said something in english, which was racist, then surely the ref would have heard it took. He was right between them. If he's insulted him in Portuguese then the likelihood is that Holgate has mistaken something for a slur. No way in hell does Firmino say the word "nigger" and he doesn't spit at him either. So fuck knows.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived