talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ross Barkley Signs For Chelsea for £15m

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Spike said:

People already calling him the 'new Lamapard'. 0 games played and 0 goals scored is a little different to 648 games and 211 goals.

In 2014 he was the new Gascoigne at the World Cup. Nearly 4 years on and the only similarity to Gazza is his betrayal of his boyhood club for money.

1 minute ago, Kitchen Sales said:

In 2014 he was the new Gascoigne at the World Cup. Nearly 4 years on and the only similarity to Gazza is his betrayal of his boyhood club for money.

Is it really betrayal? Wasn't Gascoigne's head turned because TOttenham bought his parents a house?

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

People already calling him the 'new Lamapard'. 0 games played and 0 goals scored is a little different to 648 games and 211 goals.

Lamps joined when he was 23, and it took a very disciplined and talented manager to get the best out of him.

Hence why people are giddy.

Just now, Cicero said:

Lamps joined when he was 23, and it took a very disciplined and talented manager to get the best out of him.

Hence why people are giddy.

I don't think lightning like that strikes twice. Especially when they play in a different manner.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I don't think lightning like that strikes twice. Especially when they play in a different manner.

Think people are more excited with what Conte can do with him, rather than the likelihood of another Lampard being emerged.

Will be a long time until someone breaks Lampard's scoring record for a midfielder.

I can still remember how the most of you gave shite to the likes of Stones, Ox and Sterling who had good potential but couldnt live up for various reasons but all three having great seasons now at their new clubs. I have a feeling Barkley will do well under a good manager like Conte. 

6 minutes ago, Asura said:

I can still remember how the most of you gave shite to the likes of Stones, Ox and Sterling who had good potential but couldnt live up for various reasons but all three having great seasons now at their new clubs. I have a feeling Barkley will do well under a good manager like Conte. 

Who knows.

Maybe we'll actually see a European dominance with Stones, Sterling, Kane, Alli, Barkley, Ox, Winks, as we saw with Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Ferdinand, Cole, etc.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Who knows.

Maybe we'll actually see a European dominance with Stones, Sterling, Kane, Alli, Barkley, Ox, Winks, as we saw with Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Ferdinand, Cole, etc.

im not talking about England as a team but just the players alone

1 minute ago, Asura said:

im not talking about England as a team but just the players alone

Poor wording on my part.

What I meant to say was maybe we will see premier league clubs dominating on the European scale with English players being the main focal points. Such as 2005-2011 with Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, etc.

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

Maybe for a fan but for player's it's different. 

On average but by choice. Players can and sometimes do value the group over themselves. Everything doesn't have to be the cold cult of the individual, if a player chooses that path then they have to accept the social consequences of their decision from those who believe in the alternative. I know people who haven't forgiven Gazza, 30 years on.

4 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

On average but by choice. Players can and sometimes do value the group over themselves. Everything doesn't have to be the cold cult of the individual, if a player chooses that path then they have to accept the social consequences of their decision from those who believe in the alternative. I know people who haven't forgiven Gazza, 30 years on.

As I said earlier, I thought the only reason Gascoigne left was because his parents were bought a house by Tottenham.

I first saw him play for Everton Youth against our youth on Chelsea TV where he shone through as the talent on the pitch. We tried to sign him at that age, but he busted his leg soon after. Obviously someone at Chelsea never gave up hope on him.

Great days work for my club, saving 20M in 6 months.

Only 5th of Jan ~ So many days to sign more talent   :|

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

As I said earlier, I thought the only reason Gascoigne left was because his parents were bought a house by Tottenham.

That's why he ended up at Spurs and not Man Utd. They also got a house for the Norway Keeper they had at the time... Cheating Bastards and Alan Sugar got the points back they were docked (Cant blame him for that mind)

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

That is why he picked Tottenham over Manchester United. 

Barkley will probably beg to play for Everton again at some point before the end of his career. That seems to be the trend with these local lads who get turned by money. When their career is on the way down they long to be back somewhere they love and not just at any old club for the sake of a job.

• Subscriber

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a great signing for them. Physically and technically he's gifted in a way that only 1 in 100 young lads would be.

I also wouldn't be surprised if @Cannabis was proved right and he ended up at West Ham by 2020. And I would piss myself.

Worth a punt I guess for that price, offers similar qualities to Loftus-Cheek but the club policy means Loftus-Cheek won't get a chance until he's really proven himself elsewhere.

There's more of a place in this team for Barkley than people think, if he works hard, stays fit, and takes his chances when they come there's definitely a big opportunity for him to nail down a starting place. Kante is the only certain starter really in midfield, Fabregas has to be managed correctly and can't start every game, Bakayoko is hot and cold, slowly verging onto more cold at the minute and then we have Drinkwater of course.

Barkley I imagine will take up a role in the three man midfield, more specifically the role Bakayoko has played more often than not where he is tasked with making runs and getting forward. Then I also imagine he'll play in an more advanced role in the 3-4-3 alongside Hazard, Pedro or Willian.

Was probably against this in the summer but the price now probably makes this a good deal as if it doesn't work out we could potentially sell for more in the future. Conte I think will be good for his development, I always thought that Barkley's game needs simplifying and coming into a team where he's going to be asked to fulfil a specific role and where he will be asked to follow concrete tactical instructions maybe good for him. Conte's also got a higher performance rate from some of our players than there probably worth as well to be honest. Linking up with and being in closer proximity to better and more technical players should hopefully give him more space and improve his game also. A player for me who's at his best just playing on instinct and hopefully the conditions here will suit him better and we'll see some more consistency from him.

Up to him really, work hard, watch, learn, why not? This could work out, if not we can potentially make a profit in the future anyway. First thing's first, he needs to stay fit and injury free and work on his fitness. Think it will be a slow period of easing him in at first given his recent injury.

Cheapest English player I've seen move for a while. Makes a change to see a more realistic price agreed.

No disrespect to Everton but Barkley will raise his game at Chelsea because it's a new challenge which will invigorate his hunger to succeed, the standards set at the club will be higher and naturally, the competition for places will be better.

I also think this move will do him the world of good because he's moving away from his home environment in Merseyside, where the greater risk of trouble tends to be.

It's up to him whether he takes this opportunity now but everything is set up for him to succeed.

I think it's a good move for Chelsea and a good move for him, £15m is next to nothing these days. He's shown he has quality in the season he scored 12 goals for Everton, just a case of making it consistent.

I guess it's difficult for Everton fans but you've got to remember that he's now 24 and good enough to have at least two Champions League clubs chasing him, this is a point in time where most decent players kick on and start winning trophies at that level so in terms of his career he's not going to want it to stagnate at a club that can't challenge for major silverware even if it is his "boyhood" club.

• The title was changed to Ross Barkley Signs For Chelsea for £15m

Archived