talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

H&M Pull Advert of Black Child Wearing Hoodie With 'Monkey' Slogan

football forum

International retail giant H&M has apologized for an ad featuring a black child model wearing a hoodie emblazoned with the phrase "coolest monkey in the jungle."

Social media blew up over the photo of a young boy wearing the green hooded sweatshirt, which had racist undertones.

The online advertisement for the top was for sale in the U.K.

"We sincerely apologize for offending people with this image of a printed hooded top," H&M said in a statement. "The image has been removed from all online channels and the product will not be for sale in the United States.We believe in diversity and inclusion in all that we do and will be reviewing all our internal policies accordingly to avoid any future issues."

article-h-m2-0108.jpg

I seriously laughed my ass off when I saw this. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to H&M Pull Advert of Black Child Wearing Hoodie With 'Monkey' Slogan
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

ffs. 

it's only an issue if you make it an issue. 

Was my title not good enough for you? xD

Social media are going crazy over it. Apparently The Weeknd (a major partner) has cut all ties with them. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Was my title not good enough for you? xD

Social media are going crazy over it. Apparently The Weeknd (a major partner) has cut all ties with them. 

'baby nigger wears nigger jumper' was not acceptable. 

54 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Id love to see who approved that one :dam:

Seriously whoever approved that is a colossal idiot. Because:

1 hour ago, Danny said:

A bit of common sense was needed when putting that together...fucking hell 

That's all that was needed. A bit of common sense.

4 minutes ago, True Blue said:

It's only a problem if you make it one, a white child wearing it would be cool and funny. Don't see the issue and i don't think it was meant to be racist.

There is a thing 'Sense of History'.White people have not been called such names in the past but Black people have. 

Just now, Azeem98 said:

There is a thing 'Sense of History'.White people have not been called such names in the past but Black people have. 

Indeed but overall H&M hardly were trying to be racist. People are so easily offended these days.

I think the awkwardness around the ad is fair. Don't think there was an intention to make any sort of point about race but it was poorly thought out if they thought it'd play well when put out. It's not a massive race issue though.

This is where you get to the true insanity of American Twitter wanting to have a meltdown over anything -

xD

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Hence the term 'delicate snowflake' and Bluewolf's thread.

I must add, with what I said in mind, it was a bit naive to release that advert. I can't believe it was done deliberately.

When I did a twitter search most of the outrage seemed to be coming from African Americans.

You can call it irrational and hyper sensitive, but it doesn't come from nowhere. The US is in an extremely precarious position in terms of race relations, people are on edge and have been for 5 years.

23 hours ago, Stan said:

ffs. 

it's only an issue if you make it an issue. 

22 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Easy mistake to make unless you are hyper racially aware. The boycott is worryingly irrational. Sometines you've just got to say human error, apology accepted. 

Crazy stuff going on these days, Can't seem to put a foot right without treading on someones toes it would seem no matter how innocent or accidental...

If that had been on a White Child no issues would have been raised over it and as Harvey says you would really need to be Hyper Racially Aware for that to register as a possible no no before putting it out. Clearly the team who threw that together were unaware of the potential backlash just around the corner... Stan also pointed out the obvious, its only an issue if you want to make it one and there seem to be plenty of those people about these days just waiting to jump on the most trivial thing and blow it way out of proportion just to get an extra 20 likes on their chosen choice of media... 

There is a strong possibility that one of the reasons the young lad was chosen was because the company are trying to meet their 'diversity' targets and by doing so have walked right into a shit storm over something that in hindsight was regrettable... We seem to be walking down an ever narrowing corridor of correctness trying to placate the many cultures out there all at the same time and it just seems to be an impossible job... 

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Lucas said:

article-h-m2-0108.jpg

Controversy aside, it's good to see Shaun Wright-Phillips looking well.

funnily enough, I was going to use this GIF in response to your comment and then realised it's the same kid :ph34r: 

Image result for that's racist gif

On 1/8/2018 at 11:28 PM, Viva la FCB said:

Id love to see who approved that one :dam:

My guess is people who saw the problem might've been afraid to speak up because they'd be seen as the racist. Like how nobody wants to be the first guy to smell a fart.

Archived