talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Accents

football forum

What accent do you blokes have? Tell us something interesting about it, most people don't know about different accents in foreign languages as well or their ears aren't trained to hear the subtle differences. Most Yanks sounded the same to till a few years back and even then I have to be paying attention otherwise I wouldn't notice.

There are three Australian accents, rather than regional (there are very few regional differences but they stick out like a sore thumb) they are mainly a sliding scale from most stereotypical (Steve Irwin) to more 'received' (the cunt PM). Broad, General, and Cultivated namely. I'd say I slide in between Broad and General but that is just because I've been hanging out with Yanks for too long. I'm from bush Queensland so I'm probably far more broad sounding than I think I am.

The words dance and castle for instance. I'd say @Harry says 'cas-ill' and 'dahnts' whereas I'd say 'car-sill' and 'darnts'.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spent 6 months living near Mackay so I reckon you probably sound like the locals there, difficult to write out but my favourite was "how's it gooow-in".

Mine is generally moderate to full on depending on how relaxed I am.

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Spent 6 months living near Mackay so I reckon you probably sound like the locals there, difficult to write out but my favourite was "how's it gooow-in".

Mine is generally moderate to full on depending on how relaxed I am.

But what sort of accent?! 

howyer garn? Is one I'm fond of xD

When speaking in English you could say I have a cockney kind of accent although without using cockney words.

When Speaking in Spanish (Castilian), Gallego, Italian or Portuguese, my accent is perfect and nobody would know I wasn’t born there.

• Administrator

I've got quite a boring accent (sorry to disappoint but I do not have a stereotypically Indian call centre vibe). Having lived in a part of the UK where there's no discernable or obvious twang, I've grown up to have an accent with nothing special about it. 

Also, does anyone else hate hearing themselves back on videos?! It sounds so different to when I hear myself speak not on a video. 

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

I've got quite a boring accent (sorry to disappoint but I do not have a stereotypically Indian call centre vibe). Having lived in a part of the UK where there's no discernable or obvious twang, I've grown up to have an accent with nothing special about it. 

Also, does anyone else hate hearing themselves back on videos?! It sounds so different to when I hear myself speak not on a video. 

Can you speak your parents’ native language and if so, could someone detect that you hadn’t been born in India when you speak it?

Like Ant and Dec my accent has eroded and almost gone in the last 10 years except when I get exciteable or angry.

I move in and out of generic gentle english and Geordie depending on the situation and audience naturally and not by choice.

I put it down to spending most of my professional and personal life of the last 5 years away from Newcastle with people who aren't English. Geordie adds more local words to sentences and changes more basic words than any other accents I have come across. Most accents are primarily about pronunciation with a few words here or there but Geordie heads further down the line towards being its own language. It's nowhere near that but it is closer than others.

When Brits are abroad talking slower, clearer and louder that is pretty much how I have had to talk to colleagues, clients, friends and girlfriend's. Eventually practice makes perfect. Just not louder because if I get louder I get more Geordie for some reason, no idea how that works. 

53 minutes ago, Stan said:

Have you ever tried that Indian accent on girls ? Does it work ?

• Subscriber

Mixed accent here partly because I never really grew up in India but lots of Indian influence around me. Went to a school with lots of international kids too so that didn't really help but all-in-all the good ol' Indian accent does come through oddly enough when I talk to relatives and friends I used to hang out with when I was younger, funny how that works. Otherwise its a neutral accent for the most part. 

• Subscriber

No idea really. I've been told I sound Scandinavian or Portuguese before (which is weird because the two are completely different), but I've also been asked if I'm from Manchester by a British client once xD I think in general people are just guessing because they hear that you're not native but can't tell what it is unless you have a really strong accent that is common for a certain nation. 

9 hours ago, Spike said:

What accent do you blokes have? Tell us something interesting about it, most people don't know about different accents in foreign languages as well or their ears aren't trained to hear the subtle differences. Most Yanks sounded the same to till a few years back and even then I have to be paying attention otherwise I wouldn't notice.

There are three Australian accents, rather than regional (there are very few regional differences but they stick out like a sore thumb) they are mainly a sliding scale from most stereotypical (Steve Irwin) to more 'received' (the cunt PM). Broad, General, and Cultivated namely. I'd say I slide in between Broad and General but that is just because I've been hanging out with Yanks for too long. I'm from bush Queensland so I'm probably far more broad sounding than I think I am.

The words dance and castle for instance. I'd say @Harry says 'cas-ill' and 'dahnts' whereas I'd say 'car-sill' and 'darnts'.

I’m an engineer raised in a pretty posh family, but for all that I’m shockingly “ocker” in the way I speak. I throw “mates” into my sentences like they’re going out of fashion, and swear a fair bit more than I should. This came from working on construction sites where its just the way everyone talks. Now I work in a library quiet type office environment and it seems to really shock people who i subconsciously drop F bombs into pretty casual sentences.

Is Cas-ill the Turnbull type pronounciation? Thats definitely not me at all. Its actually more that I type that way. When I read back what I type I constantly think it soundss not slangy enough.... Too many could nots instead of couldn’ts. Etc. It reads like a book rather than the shit you’d say at a pub. Comes from the fact most of my writing is in emails i guess.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Can you speak your parents’ native language and if so, could someone detect that you hadn’t been born in India when you speak it?

I can speak Gujarati, yes. And 100% someone could tell that I wasn't born in India because of how plain my accent is xD

1 hour ago, Azeem98 said:

Have you ever tried that Indian accent on girls ? Does it work ?

Haha. I have never ever tried it in an attempt to hit on girls. That's premium embarrassment content so they don't hear it until some considerable time in to the relationship. 

I'm an accent-shifting wanker.

At home, with pals, with other Glaswegians, and when I'm angry I speak with a Glaswegian accent. Not insanely strong but pretty obvious to people who know Scottish accents, and I use different words like"no" for "not", "canny" for "can't", "wilny" for "will not", "aye", "naw", "maw". All that kinda thing. 

At uni and with foreigners I switch to a slower, more generic Scottish accent, and pretty much cut all the Scottish words, except maybe "wee" and "aye". When I first went to Copenhagen I found that most people had trouble understanding me so it was out of necessity tbf, and the longer I know a foreign person, the more I go back to my normal accent. 

In the few times I've tried speaking German the feedback seems to be that my accent is horrific. In Danish I was told that my accent was quite good,  but considering it's seen as an ugly language I don't know if that's a huge compliment. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

I can speak Gujarati, yes. And 100% someone could tell that I wasn't born in India because of how plain my accent is xD

Have a friend who was born and raised in California and we're always laughing about which one of us sounds more like a tourist when we speak in Hindi. 

Archived