talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Accents

football forum

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Danny said:

Which one of you go "yeah naw" and "naw yeah" to confuse every fucker 😂

I remember Ranieri doing this a lot. Don't know if it's just an Italian thing but a journo would ask him a question and he'd always begin the answer with, 'No! No! No!' even if it was agreeing to something xD 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Stan said:

I've got quite a boring accent (sorry to disappoint but I do not have a stereotypically Indian call centre vibe). Having lived in a part of the UK where there's no discernable or obvious twang, I've grown up to have an accent with nothing special about it. 

Also, does anyone else hate hearing themselves back on videos?! It sounds so different to when I hear myself speak not on a video. 

It's actually the opposite for me, i love how i sound in audio recordings (in spanish), my voice sounds so fucking cool and rough. The voice you hear when listening to recordings is actually your real voice and the one other people hear, not the one you hear when talking normally as it includes sounds from your body.

8 minutes ago, Berserker said:

It's actually the opposite for me, i love how i sound in audio recordings (in spanish), my voice sounds so fucking cool and rough. The voice you hear when listening to recordings is actually your real voice and the one other people hear, not the one you hear when talking normally as it includes sounds from your body.

In my head I've got a kinda whiny voice, and then when I hear myself in recordings my voice is actually deeper than average. 

I don't know if I like the sound of my voice but I certainly am pleased that it isn't the way I imagine it sounds. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Berserker said:

yeah that's what worries me xD

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

In my head I've got a kinda whiny voice, and then when I hear myself in recordings my voice is actually deeper than average. 

I don't know if I like the sound of my voice but I certainly am pleased that it isn't the way I imagine it sounds. 

same, people always say I have a really deep voice. 

@Azeem98 - girls love a deep voice haha

4 minutes ago, Inverted said:

1 minute ago, Stan said:

yeah that's what worries me xD

same, people always say I have a really deep voice. 

@Azeem98 - girls love a deep voice haha

Same for me. I actually had a few recordings of my voice from a few years ago but i can't find them now. -_-

• Subscriber
Just now, Inverted said:

There must be some physical reason why voices sound higher to the speaker than to everyone else.  

Weird because there's actually a physical reason why voices sound lower to the speaker than to everyone else. It's vibrations inside your skull.

4 minutes ago, Inverted said:

There must be some physical reason why voices sound higher to the speaker than to everyone else.  

No, you got it wrong. Your voice sounds the same in recordings than to other people, that's your real voice, it can change a little if the mic's of bad quality but that's your voice. The one you hear in your head is what you perceive it to be because of vibrations like Nudge said, yeah.

2 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Im first generation born and raised here, Canadian accent and easy to tell. I do use Eh in my daily vocab xD

Do people use ehhhhhhh in English too?, most people use it here. Maradona  just overuses it like there's no tomorrow.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Do people use ehhhhhhh in English too?, most people use it here. Maradona  just overuses it like there's no tomorrow.

not like that but Scousers love an 'eh'

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Berserker said:

I havent heard that one used before thats not bad, ours is more like this:

6 hours ago, Inverted said:

I'm an accent-shifting wanker.

At home, with pals, with other Glaswegians, and when I'm angry I speak with a Glaswegian accent. Not insanely strong but pretty obvious to people who know Scottish accents, and I use different words like"no" for "not", "canny" for "can't", "wilny" for "will not", "aye", "naw", "maw". All that kinda thing. 

At uni and with foreigners I switch to a slower, more generic Scottish accent, and pretty much cut all the Scottish words, except maybe "wee" and "aye". When I first went to Copenhagen I found that most people had trouble understanding me so it was out of necessity tbf, and the longer I know a foreign person, the more I go back to my normal accent. 

In the few times I've tried speaking German the feedback seems to be that my accent is horrific. In Danish I was told that my accent was quite good,  but considering it's seen as an ugly language I don't know if that's a huge compliment. 

Almost dentical to myself. I spent pretty much my whole teenage life playing games with Americans so I have a "well spoken Glaswegian" accent and a "speaking to my family" accent where all the slang and shit comes out.

• Administrator
Just now, Rab said:

Almost dentical to myself. I spent pretty much my whole teenage life playing games with Americans so I have a "well spoken Glaswegian" accent and a "speaking to my family" accent where all the slang and shit comes out.

this is you

A'm needin' tae tak' mah motor tae a wash 'n' wax!!

I've got a fairly Scouse accent, although it might be a little softened having been out here all the while. Feel like it softened up a bit at uni in the south - so there's no way living in America hasn't had some effect.

People out here think I'm Irish though.

13 hours ago, SirBalon said:

When speaking in English you could say I have a cockney kind of accent although without using cockney words.

When Speaking in Spanish (Castilian), Gallego, Italian or Portuguese, my accent is perfect and nobody would know I wasn’t born there.

Same here although I do chuck a few in for the lads at work now and then... When I was up in Notts they just used to call me 'Cockney' or here comes 'London' was their other favourite... obviously when they said it they over exaggerated a Cockney Accent to try and make their point which you can imagine was amusing... Even if I say 'Alright' to people in a normal way even now others try to mimic it and exaggerate it... Never fails to make me smile I will give the that.. 

48 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Same here although I do chuck a few in for the lads at work now and then... When I was up in Notts they just used to call me 'Cockney' or her comes 'London' was their other favourite... obviously when they said it they over exaggerated a Cockney Accent to try and make their point which you can imagine was amusing... Even if I say 'Alright' to people in a normal way even now others try to mimic it and exaggerate it... Never fails to make me smile I will give the that.. 

There was a lot of racism up north towards Londoners in the 1930s from what I’ve been told mate. :ph34r:

Archived