talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - 13-15th January, 2018

football forum

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

A few things from today’s trip to The Hawthorns;

If you’d have taken someone to that game who wasn’t aware of the Premier League table at the start of the day and told them one team on show is currently the worst side and asked them who they thought that team was, they’d have said Brighton. They were woeful. They just had no real clue or game plan in terms of how they were going to score a goal. 

That said, West Brom were very good. They played good football, attacked with intent and had a nice variation of play, rather than just a long-ball style under Tony Pulis. It’s hard to say who stood out for West Brom today because most players did.

I have no idea what went on with the Rodriguez-Bong incident. All I saw was the referee talking to Bong, then his fourth official and then both managers.

Anthony Knockaert is the playing equivalent of Neil Warnock. Very, very good at Championship level but when placed in the Premier League, he’s found out and isn’t up to that level. 

I put West Brom to win 2-0 in the predictions. I think they're a little bit like us a couple of years ago - they're constantly coming close but they just aren't doing quite enough. Brighton aren't all that to be honest. They were truly awful away here. Easiest three points all season.

I'm inclined to agree on Knockaert now. I admit defeat to Storts on this one. He was right. There's a natural talent there but he's just too fucking slow. I know that comment will raise some eyebrows but seriously he's deceptively an absolute snail.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't look too much in to West Brom at the moment. The owners have clearly reviewed how Pardew improved a Pulis team with us over 18 months (20th to 10th in 19 games, then 5th at Christmas before a cup final) and not considered the natural progression of Bolasie with age before his serious injury who was a massive game changer with Zaha. It' a different scenario now though. He hasnt got adventurous wingers, he's commuting everyday from Caterham, and he's reverting to 442 to get a result. 

He got a result playing 442 against Brighton who didn't look anywhere near as focused as they did after winning their cup final on Monday night.

I would do absolutely anything to see the Geordies on this forum get rattled by the man being an absolute success but I'll be amazed if he's still employed this time next year.

Brighton look in serious danger. They just cannot score away, they haven’t done so since 4th November, and you can’t rely on your home form to keep you up. 

West Brom played well and beat what was in front of them. I think they could stay up. With Everton, Southampton and Huddersfield to come in the next few games, there’s three opportunities they’ll be looking at to get something from. 

10 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

No Sanchez in the Arsenal squad today. 

Yeah I was about to post this, I think he is 100% going. Manchester United seem to be favourites now and if the rumours of them willing to offer someone like Mkhitaryan, we simply have to take it.

No point Liverpool panicking over missing Van Dijk. Yes he's better than what they have but then they have been without VVD for 99.9% of their games so far anyway. 

Liverpool would fancy their chances of beating City at home whether he had signed or not. They are capable of beating City without him.

12 hours ago, Dan said:

It's the equivalent in my eyes to when you have something really bad happen in your life. Being told it's worse for people in Africa doesn't actually help anyone. It's the concept of relativity and too many people don't understand it.

As well football is about opinions. I like to say what I see, if I don't think something is good or I don't rate a particular player I'll say it. That's what football is about at the end of the day, it's full of opinions.

I'll get behind the team and every player if I'm at Stamford Bridge or in an away end but opinions and view points are one of the best things about football.

If Liverpool go at it and attack City they could pull off the win.. Everyone has been so wary of their attack that the first thoughts are normally defending first and attacking/counters are second so their back line hardly gets tested much at all... I reckon they could be put under the cosh from a good attacking side if someone was brave enough to really go for it. 

Liverpool are as good an attacking force as we have in the league currently so if anyone could give City a hard time then they could.. 

Another performance typical of our recent form, just absolutely nothing up top. Iwobi just holds on to the ball too long, Welbeck works hard but lacks any real threat and Lacazette's attitude has stunk up the place. Defence has been alright, Mustafi again very good and Chambers is having another very good game. Wilshere again performing well and Xhaka has done alright considering Wenger has him running around like a headless chicken. Really good use of his abilities...

Lucky not to have conceded a penalty, Iwobi was an idiot there and also a fantastic block by Chambers kept it at 0-0. Love to see Ramsey on and Kolasinac, Maitland-Niles really shouldn't be playing LWB. Going to miss the second half though unfortunately, probably more fortunate actually. xD

• The topic was unpinned

Archived