talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rooney Rule To Be Used By FA For Future England Roles

football forum

• Administrator

never understood why this should be in place.

Has the FA purposely prevented black, Asian, minority ethnic people from applying or getting jobs?

if not, surely it's only whether you're good at the job or not, as opposed to the colour of your skin preventing you from getting a job?

Does this not patronise BAME people applying? May they now only think they're being interviewed/getting the job because of the colour of the skin and not the qualities/abilities they have which are fit for the role?

The Football Association will interview at least one applicant from a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic background for future roles in the England set-up.

English football's governing body will adopt its own version of the 'Rooney Rule' implemented in the NFL in 2003.

Chief executive Martin Glenn said the move showed the "FA is for all".

"What it will say is the opportunity to have a career beyond playing is something that the FA is serious about promoting," Glenn told BBC Sport.

"The FA wants to become a more inclusive organisation where the workforce more represents the people who play football today."

The Rooney Rule, named after NFL diversity committee chairman Dan Rooney, requires clubs in American football to interview at least one BAME candidate for each head coach or senior football operation vacancy.

The FA says this move will apply to jobs across England teams but BAME applicants will still need to show they meet the relevant recruitment criteria.

English Football League clubs agreed to introduce their own version of the 'Rooney Rule' from 1 January but the same measure has been applied to roles in their academies since June.

Research conducted in November showed 22 of 482 roles across England's top-four leagues were filled by coaches from BAME backgrounds.

Glenn also revealed moves to make it easier for players and staff to air grievances, while clarifying he will oversee attempts to change the culture around the England Women's team in the wake of the Eniola Aluko controversies.

In August of 2017, Aluko said she was victimised for reporting discrimination by ex-England Women's manager Mark Sampson.

Sampson was sacked in September following evidence of "inappropriate and unacceptable" behaviour with female players in a previous role.

The FA is now working with UK Sport to create clarity on codes of conduct for players and coaches.

"We want to make sure everyone who puts on the England shirt has a way to air concerns or grievances in a fair, speedy and prompt manner," Glenn added.

"The lessons we had to learn from the Eniola Aluko affair was that we did not have the right procedures in place for elite people to raise concerns. But I think more subtly we did not have the right climate in place for people to feel they could raise their concerns easily. These measures address both of those."

In detailing the FA's wider plans for 2018, Glenn confirmed that for the remainder of the season he will oversee Baroness Sue Campbell, Director of Women's football, as she leads work to improve the culture of the England women's team.

This move will see Dan Ashworth - the FA's director of elite development - temporarily no longer in charge of non-technical decisions across the women's game.

Glenn insisted Ashworth remains head of the FA's technical division but that his focus should be on assisting England manager Gareth Southgate with World Cup preparations while "cultural changes" are made across the women's game.

Ashworth was interviewed by MPs at a parliamentary inquiry over the FA's handling of discrimination claims against Sampson. He always insisted he knew nothing about the allegations.

Glenn also revealed the organisation will publicly disclose its gender pay gap by April 2018 and confirmed plans to repay £142m of debt relating to the construction of Wembley Stadium by 2024 - saving over £2m a year in interest payments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42623021

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure race does make a difference. I can understand why people are against it though. I suppose time will tell if it is right or not.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Thought for a second that everyone in an England role would be allowed to swear straight into a referee's face.

nope, they're all allowed dodgy hair transplants though :D

4 hours ago, Stan said:

never understood why this should be in place.

Has the FA purposely prevented black, Asian, minority ethnic people from applying or getting jobs?

if not, surely it's only whether you're good at the job or not, as opposed to the colour of your skin preventing you from getting a job?

Does this not patronise BAME people applying? May they now only think they're being interviewed/getting the job because of the colour of the skin and not the qualities/abilities they have which are fit for the role?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42623021

It's about implicit bias theory, the idea that Mohammed gets less interviews than Matthew with the same CV because seeing the name Mohammed triggers negative  connotations that effect your opinions without consciously realising it. Therefore if you give someone who is of a negatively effected group an interview when they are qualified for the job you are giving them a chance to break down those barriers that exist in the interviewer. The public sector has had guaranteed interviews for disabled people for some years now. One of the solutions some recruiters use, mainly in the public sector, is for the assessor to not see the name on the CV, therefore they do not know their ethnicity or gender.

Much rather see The FA use the “We’ll give him/her the job because they’re the best qualified candidate for the role and they possess the most experience and most suit the job description” Rule. 

I wonder how long it will take someone to come up with the argument that they only got interviewed because they were non-white and it ticks boxes? 

It's one of those unfortunate 'help some people, but hurt' others rules. I understand 'affirmative action' and how it can make it easier for those with certain races/cultures/religions break into an industry but it can also be quite harmful. It's one of those tricky subjects that can lead into different forms of racism, i.e. 'quotas' (how disgusting are quotas? boiling people down to numbers and colours).

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Much rather see The FA use the “We’ll give him/her the job because they’re the best qualified candidate for the role and they possess the most experience and most suit the job description” Rule. 

I wonder how long it will take someone to come up with the argument that they only got interviewed because they were non-white and it ticks boxes? 

That's literally what the rule is, so presumably not very long?

Just now, Burning Gold said:

That's literally what the rule is, so presumably not very long?

Yes, but I’m sure someone will argue that they weren’t interviewed for whatever role is available based upon their professional or post-professional career and that they were used as box-ticking exercise by The FA.

1 minute ago, Kitchen Sales said:

They don't just interview a token black person to fill a quota, there is no quota. You first have to meet certain criteria in the job spec showing that you are qualified. 

I’m sure The FA will manage to make themselves look stupid with this. I’m half expecting Terry Connor to get the England manager’s job next. 

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m sure The FA will manage to make themselves look stupid with this. I’m half expecting Terry Connor to get the England manager’s job next. 

Well if Gareth Southgate is the measure of criteria then Terry Connor is guaranteed an interview

It's only an obligation to interview at least somebody non-white. I hardly see the detriment to white candidates, since there's still no pressure to actually hire a non-white candidate. 

It's merely about slowly opening the door for more non-white candidates, considering the current gap between minorities working in football and minorities in governing positions. 

It's basically a symbolic gesture. It won't change a great deal in itself, but it encourages a broader range of people to apply then it will do a little bit of good eventually. 

Given Phil Neville has managed to land himself the England Women's job I think something needs to be done. The FA really don't help themselves. Are you honestly telling me there is not one female in the entire country that would not be more suited than that flid who makes nothing other than shite comments on Match Of The Day? That's a real slap in the face to every woman that has represented England and has contributed to promoting women's football in this country.

• Administrator

Mo Marley should have got it. Constantly involved in women's football and has been a success in it too.

Like you say, proper smack in the face for any woman who wants to be successful in their own game. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived