talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Peter Beardsley Given Leave by Newcastle Following Bullying & Racism Allegations

• Administrator

Newcastle Under-23s coach Peter Beardsley will take a period of leave while the club investigates allegations of racism and bullying made against him.

It comes after Beardsley had discussions with the club on Tuesday.

The 56-year-old former Magpies player, who has been in his current role since 2009, faces multiple complaints.

Saw this the other day and one of the allegations was said to be that during a ladder-climbing exercise he told 2 black players 'you'd be good at that'. No idea how true it is or what the other allegations are but must be quite serious you'd think if he's been asked to take leave?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42627051

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Stan said:

Saw this the other day and one of the allegations was said to be that during a ladder-climbing exercise he told 2 black players 'you'd be good at that'. No idea how true it is or what the other allegations are but must be quite serious you'd think if he's been asked to take leave?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42627051

What is your source for that?

All I am aware of is that the investigation is based on comments toward and bullying of Yasin Ben El-Mhanni who is English but of Moroccan descent.

El-Mhanni has numerous players who are backing him up as witnesses. Also we sold Lewis Gibson to Everton in the summer and legit journalists claim he is to also provide a statement, apparently one coach told him to leave the club to get away from Beardsley bullying him.

Beardsley has a sketchy background on this. He was investigated years ago for bullying kids but there wasn't sufficient evidence so he was cleared. He left the club, then when Mike Ashley took over Beardsley who was regularly about the directors box got pally and got himself a job, went on to suck Ashley's cock in the press for years to come. At one point it looked like he was trying to get the managers job. 

Away from all that for a second he has been a shockingly bad U23 manager. He has kept the job far too long, the results are a farce but he's such a legend that he is untouchable. Bullying kids would in part explain why results are worse than some small towns with a tiny catchment area.

Beardsley strikes me as one of those blokes who thinks abuse "didn't do me any harm" and that it "builds character"

I don't know Peter Beardsley personally so I can't really judge the bloke. I don't know for sure what has or hasn't been said as it's all hearsay so again, find it hard to judge.

The only thing I would say is that in today's world, you have to think carefully what you say because what may feel like a throw away harmless comment or what might be intended as a light hearted 'joke' is often taken the wrong way. I also think the race card is brought out far too easily in some circumstances.

Now I'm not saying that is the case here. But I can imagine Beardsley is probably a bit old school. He probably remembers things that were often said when he was a player, or certain behaviour to toughen up players in training and may think it didn't do any of them any harm so why should it bother today's youngsters to give them some tough love.

Young players today are wrapped up in cotton wool from an early age. They are a bit too precious and don't seem to respond too well to coaches from the old school. That could well be the case here.

However, Beardsley also has a responsibility to a climatise to the times. And that's where the problem possibly lies to me from the outside. Hopefully, that is the case anyway.

5 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

What is your source for that?

All I am aware of is that the investigation is based on comments toward and bullying of Yasin Ben El-Mhanni who is English but of Moroccan descent.

El-Mhanni has numerous players who are backing him up as witnesses. Also we sold Lewis Gibson to Everton in the summer and legit journalists claim he is to also provide a statement, apparently one coach told him to leave the club to get away from Beardsley bullying him.

Beardsley has a sketchy background on this. He was investigated years ago for bullying kids but there wasn't sufficient evidence so he was cleared. He left the club, then when Mike Ashley took over Beardsley who was regularly about the directors box got pally and got himself a job, went on to suck Ashley's cock in the press for years to come. At one point it looked like he was trying to get the managers job. 

Away from all that for a second he has been a shockingly bad U23 manager. He has kept the job far too long, the results are a farce but he's such a legend that he is untouchable. Bullying kids would in part explain why results are worse than some small towns with a tiny catchment area.

Beardsley strikes me as one of those blokes who thinks abuse "didn't do me any harm" and that it "builds character"

Sky reported he was being investigated for racist related bullying. Nothing more than that.

• The title was changed to Peter Beardsley Given Leave by Newcastle Following Bullying & Racism Allegations
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Sky reported he was being investigated for racist related bullying. Nothing more than that.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

I don't know Peter Beardsley personally so I can't really judge the bloke. I don't know for sure what has or hasn't been said as it's all hearsay so again, find it hard to judge.

The only thing I would say is that in today's world, you have to think carefully what you say because what may feel like a throw away harmless comment or what might be intended as a light hearted 'joke' is often taken the wrong way. I also think the race card is brought out far too easily in some circumstances.

Now I'm not saying that is the case here. But I can imagine Beardsley is probably a bit old school. He probably remembers things that were often said when he was a player, or certain behaviour to toughen up players in training and may think it didn't do any of them any harm so why should it bother today's youngsters to give them some tough love.

Young players today are wrapped up in cotton wool from an early age. They are a bit too precious and don't seem to respond too well to coaches from the old school. That could well be the case here.

However, Beardsley also has a responsibility to a climatise to the times. And that's where the problem possibly lies to me from the outside. Hopefully, that is the case anyway.

Sometimes when people are friends and they have a different ethnicity they might have racist banter. It may be sometimes like that but as you said he has to adapt to the times.

I'm not the biggest fan of his to be honest, useless manager, very good player but comes across as a bit of a strange bloke.

He should have been sacked ages ago anyway, for being fucking shite at his job.

18 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

My understanding is it is both. Local journo's said a couple of days ago that El-Mhanni claims Beardsley is singling him out, running a persistent campaign against him, not just a racist one.

In 2003 Beardsley was investigated for the exact same thing, bullying a couple of players with some racist remark claimed as well. The Premier League panel cleared him of any charges. I recall in many conversations since that people still suspected Beardsley might be guilty, unfortunately there is nothing online to look up the details of why he was cleared. But isn't it a curious thing that the exact same situation should happen again?

If the allegations were of him making comments that he meant as a joke but they just didn't land then maybe he could plead ignorance but the term "bullying" being mentioned suggests it wasn't even an attempt at harmless banter.

42 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

No idea why the kid who made the accusations didn’t just tell him to fuck off and tell him he had a face like a spastic. 

You do realise referring to people as ‘spastics’ is just as offensive, if not worse? 

Unless belittling a black person isn’t ok but belittling someone with a severe disability is?  

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

LATEST NEWS

6th March 2019

Club statement: Peter Beardsley

Newcastle United can confirm that Peter Beardsley is no longer employed by the club.

We are grateful for the contribution Peter has given over the years as a player, coach and ambassador and we wish him well for the future.

The club will make no further comment at this time.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/club-statement-peter-beardsley

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Peter Beardsley charged by FA with using racist and abusive language towards Newcastle U23s players

Peter Beardsley has been charged by the Football Association with using racist and abusive language towards Newcastle United Under 23s players.

The 58-year-old was axed by the club two weeks ago after a 14-month probe, although they failed to reveal the findings of the claims brought by several academy players.

However, now the FA have confirmed that their subsequent investigation has resulted in Beardsley being charged.

A statement read: 'Peter Beardsley has been charged with three breaches of FA Rule E3. It is alleged Mr Beardsley used abusive and/or insulting words towards Newcastle United FC Under 23 players, which were contrary to FA Rule E3(1), whilst employed as their coach.

'It is further alleged these words also constituted an 'Aggravated Breach', which is defined in FA Rule E3(2), as they included reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race and/or nationality.

'He has until Friday 12 April 2019 to provide a response.' 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6838951/Beardsley-charged-abusive-words-Newcastle-23s.html

• 5 months later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.73056706ad97b556e08117902b578d3f.png

Peter Beardsley: Former Newcastle United coach suspended from football

Former Newcastle United Under-23s coach Peter Beardsley has been suspended from all football-related activity for 32 weeks after being found to have been racially abusive to players.

Beardsley was charged by the Football Association with three counts of using racist language to players in March.

He left Newcastle after a 14-month club investigation and had "categorically denied" the claims.

Beardsley has been ordered to complete a face-to-face education course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49760230

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Such a great player for us so I hate speaking badly of him but....

What an absolute fucking weapon.

Have you got the t-shirts ready for the next home game :ph34r:??

I'd like to see what John Barnes makes of this...

I think the punishment is probably about right. He clearly made some very ignorant comments and having the embarrassment of having to be trained not to make stupid, ignorant, racist comments and everyone thinking "Oh it's just because he's an old fucker" is probably punishment enough, as well as losing his job.

Archived