talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsène Wenger

wexit2.jpg

#wexit 'Wenger Out'

I think it was on TFF that we had a thread dedicated to Arsene Wenger and his future.  I can't find it here so it seems one hasn't been started...  The reason I've started this one today is because of the demonstration held against Arsene Wenger today around the Emirates Stadium and the old Highbury which is barely a few hundred yards away.  Sources say there were hundreds of people demonstrating (I didn't see it to be honest and I live under a 5 minute walk) and the seem to have gained the people to do it through a Twitter campaign (how were demonstrations organised before internet?).

wexit1.jpg

Arsene Wenger who has been at the club 20 years now seems to have spurred this on even further with his comments the other day when he said; "how the fans feel will have a part to play in whatever decision I make at the end of the season, but not totally as the board also have a say in this".  The issue is that it's known that the most important people within the board do want Arsene Wenger to continue no matter what and it's also known that there's been a new extension to his present contract that finishes in July waiting to be signed.  Another issue is that the bigger the demonstrations get and the louder they become could force even the board's hand finally although in the past nothing has even moved the present board into making decisions were the fans are concerned (example when David Dein was ousted against the fans will).

wexit3.jpg

When some of the demonstrators were interviewed and asked as to what their fundamental reasons behind the sentiments were, they almost all came out with the same answers.

• Fourth place isn't a trophy.
  • No real moment of contention for the title since the last time Arsenal won it.
  • No European trophy ever.
  • Lies told by the board as to Arsenal's financial situation for years.

The final one I'm not in agreement with because Arsenal is a PLC and the figures are all there for everyone to see if they so want and Arsenal fans are also permitted to go to AGMs on application if they so wish as long as they don't ask any of the questions vetoed by the board (they hand you a piece of paper beforehand telling you what you can't ask).  What I think they mean by that final point is that Arsenal are building cash in the bank and don't work like other big clubs around Europe where the money generated by the football club after expenses is used for the football side of things in building a competitive side.  Arsenal DO spend money though which seems to come as a surprise to some!  The problem is that on the whole or the main, it's spent badly when we look at the past 10 years or so.

Anyway...  That was the demonstration and there are apparently others planned with statements being made that the crowds will only get larger as the season closes on its end.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wexit... Fucking embarrassing, but it is in keeping with how cringe worthy these idiots are.

Hopefully they didn't embarrass themselves further by chanting "we want our Arsenal back" and making themselves look like further ignoramuses.

Not against a change in manager but the embarrassing way in which it's being discussed by the anti-Wenger agenda crowd means I can't back them.

Well what other option is there, the board aren't going to sack him, he is the only manager in the world that has the power to say wether or not he will stay or go when he is only an employee.  The whole thing is just a mess with the board and manager on football terms, regarding turnover that is very strong and it is only what they care about since they have moved into the Emirates as it is just a money making scheme from a very expensive bit of real estate.  It is just becoming a circus all this now and the fairytale they promised  on the reasons moving from Highbury has turned into one of the biggest scams in football.   

If people are going to mention cringey/embarrassing about the fans well they are the ones that sing about Spurs, who have this childish behaviour about hating everything about them, who sing that song its happened again! celebrating at the end of the season finishing just above Tottenham again, now that is fucking cringey!  Arsenal in recent years have dropped so far behind that they have turned in to the old Tottenham! before Arsenal were up against the best club in the Premiership history and the best Manager Sir Alex nearly every season. The club has gone so mediocre and the majority of the fans are just accepting it. 

While Wenger is part of the problem from the stale side of the football plus he is 67 and cannot go on forever, the board are a bigger problem going forward the real protests should be on how the club is run Football wise.  Even though Wenger does that side, there are other bigger frailties that he is the only one with Football knowledge at a high level at the club, there will be a problem going forward as getting a new manager/coach will mean a whole new structure in place,  as no other top club is run so far behind like Arsenal.  Who is going to put that into place is a another issue! 

It's a tough one to be honest. I think it is at the point now where Arsenal need a change and I can understand why the fans are so frustrated. However at the same time Wenger is a club legend and whilst they haven't won the league - or made a serious challenge to do so for some time, the treatment he is receiving is awful I feel and sours his time there.

Arsenal fans may disagree and that's fair enough but in my years watching football he has been Arsenal manager the entire time and they have always been one of the top clubs in England in that time and have been one of the fixtures you look for at  He start of the season and see as a big game. 

It is time to go though, not now but in the Summer. I think they'll win the FA Cup again and he will bow out. 

3 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

It's a tough one to be honest. I think it is at the point now where Arsenal need a change and I can understand why the fans are so frustrated. However at the same time Wenger is a club legend and whilst they haven't won the league - or made a serious challenge to do so for some time, the treatment he is receiving is awful I feel and sours his time there.

Arsenal fans may disagree and that's fair enough but in my years watching football he has been Arsenal manager the entire time and they have always been one of the top clubs in England in that time and have been one of the fixtures you look for at  He start of the season and see as a big game. 

It is time to go though, not now but in the Summer. I think they'll win the FA Cup again and he will bow out. 

The reason why he has  been at the club for so long, the Board have failed to hire someone who has the power to sack him! or even question him, its ridiculous.  He has just been rewarded due to the income that the club has taken in now in most recent years. 

Just now, VanPanna said:

The reason why he has  been at the club for so long, the Board have failed to hire someone who has the power to sack him! or even question him, its ridiculous.  

Aye I can see your frustration mind. Who would you like to see replace him?

3 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

Aye I can see your frustration mind. Who would you like to see replace him?

The problems are deeper and it does require a Football director role at the club now,  but if it was just a swap for another coach who realistically would come.  I would go for Simeone or Allergri, it be something we havent seen for a while at Arsenal, that is a coach who has tactical awareness. 

14 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

The problems are deeper and it does require a Football director role at the club now,  but if it was just a swap for another coach who realistically would come.  I would go for Simeone or Allergri, it be something we havent seen for a while at Arsenal, that is a coach who has tactical awareness. 

I think Simeone would be a quality appointment, he would take you to the next level....challenging at the top of the table and in europe.

I've said it before but obviously it's now all on the other forum.

It doesn't matter who comes in right now because the structure at the club is antiquated and still uses the old manager system who's in charge of practically everything.  There is no technical structure from the board down to the football side of things and if anyone thinks that can just be put in place in one summer is totally barmy!

Aside from that...  

Let's look at the new coach whoever that is...  What are the demands the board will make the new coach?  Top 4 please and a decent run in the FA Cup.

A top coach will never have had it so easy considering the resources available.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I've said it before but obviously it's now all on the other forum.

It doesn't matter who comes in right now because the structure at the club is antiquated and still uses the old manager system who's in charge of practically everything.  There is no technical structure from the board down to the football side of things and if anyone thinks that can just be put in place in one summer is totally barmy!

Aside from that...  

Let's look at the new coach whoever that is...  What are the demands the board will make the new coach?  Top 4 please and a decent run in the FA Cup.

A top coach will never have had it so easy considering the resources available.

That is the point Mourinho has been making about Wenger as Mourinho knows he could be sacked if he doesn't challenge for the title at past and present clubs but Wenger has no pressure at all. 

14 hours ago, True Blue said:

Think that things should have been handled differently, he did so much for Arsenal and stayed for so many years. He will now be remembered more by the bad than the good as it seem's.

To be honest mate, this is the last resort. There is no other way, the club is so poorly structured and Wenger has total control of the situation. It's sad to see it go this way, but the club and Wenger have brought it on themselves unfortunately.  

8 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

To be honest mate, this is the last resort. There is no other way, the club is so poorly structured and Wenger has total control of the situation. It's sad to see it go this way, but the club and Wenger have brought it on themselves unfortunately.  

Yeah agreed i just felt things should have been solved earlier and not like this. He will be seen out of the club like a hated man

4 hours ago, True Blue said:

Yeah agreed i just felt things should have been solved earlier and not like this. He will be seen out of the club like a hated man

I think and expect that once he does depart things will calm down and sentiments will balance themselves out.  Obviously there's a long road ahead of us structure wise and I feel sorry for the next coach no matter who he is although if he can be a strong arm tactician and character, then that my boost us somewhat.  But, I repeat...  Wenger will be respected by all and only a fool wouldn't.  What many fans want is for this situation to be resolved and the club are the only ones to blame for the "bad blood".

Archived