talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

So Women Really are the Weaker Sex..

football forum

• Administrator

Physically, women are weaker than men, I don’t know how anyone could argue otherwise because it’s genetics ... however women are stronger survivors. They live longer, have higher pain thresholds and can recover quicker. The problem with these debates often is that the nay sayers turn them into strawman arguments without understanding the data. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Batard said:

Physically, women are weaker than men, I don’t know how anyone could argue otherwise because it’s genetics ... however women are stronger survivors. They live longer, have higher pain thresholds and can recover quicker. The problem with these debates often is that the nay sayers turn them into strawman arguments without understanding the data. 

They live longer on average because men take more dangerous jobs. The same logic applies to left-handed people, they live shorter lives on average because near everything is designed for right handedness, leading to a larger margin of error. Women actually don't have higher pain thresholds either, in a technicality women have more pain receptors on their bodies than men, but their body averages that out by being able to produce pain killing hormones at a quicker rate; so it's end up being around equal. I think it is only because of the hormone production they can give birth but that scenario can't be applied to men.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

They live longer on average because men take more dangerous jobs. The same logic applies to left-handed people, they live shorter lives on average because near everything is designed for right handedness, leading to a larger margin of error. 

The data on that doesn't hold up well enough to draw that conclusion anymore. As male jobs became less streneous the gap between men and women remained at a consistent level.

Biology remains the most likely cause.

4 hours ago, Batard said:

What about those that don't identify with a gender? :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Spike said:

They live longer on average because men take more dangerous jobs. The same logic applies to left-handed people, they live shorter lives on average because near everything is designed for right handedness, leading to a larger margin of error. Women actually don't have higher pain thresholds either, in a technicality women have more pain receptors on their bodies than men, but their body averages that out by being able to produce pain killing hormones at a quicker rate; so it's end up being around equal. I think it is only because of the hormone production they can give birth but that scenario can't be applied to men.

They just get a job as health and safety executives instead and come onto site every month telling you how and how you can't do your own job :ph34r:.

1 hour ago, Kitchen Sales said:

The data on that doesn't hold up well enough to draw that conclusion anymore. As male jobs became less strenuous the gap between men and women remained at a consistent level.

Biology remains the most likely cause.

Maybe for office boys who will barely pick up a pen without doing a risk assessment, but not all jobs are like that, even with health and safety being over the top. The building trade, for example, is still full of strenuous activities.

Plasterboarders have to individually load every single plaster board into plots. There is no other way to do it.

site labourers are up and down stairs with full bins.

brickies are constantly bending down to pick bricks up. in fact there isn't a trade or profession on site where you aren't putting strain on your back.

How do plumbers loads shower trays and boilers into plots? You can't just make them magically appear inside a plot. The forklift can only do so much.

groundworkers cannot do their job without using power tools such as stihl saws.

Watch a roofer work, there is no real safe way to do some of the stuff they have to do.

Even though you're supposed to have 2 men minimum carrying firedoors(which exceed 25kg and are obviously big, which makes them awkward) most joiners will be carrying them about on their own to get jobs done.

I don't even need to mention scaffolders.

These are just a few quick examples. Everything is strenuous on site. You can't get away from dangers either whatever you do. Then there are the laughably unrealistic deadlines, so that these companies can move people into houses and make their millions. Some trades are also on price which means they have to get things done to make money, this causes them to strain themselves all the time. Constantly.

What about the hazardous dust you breath in on site also? This for me is by far the worst part about the occupation as you can't prevent dust completely and most of it is equally as hazardous to health as asbestos. A lot of people treated with asbestoses when it first became a thing likely had silicosis instead, or other diseases caused by MDF, plasterboard, etc. it is a dangerous environment to be in, whether health and safety is way over the top in this country or not. Health and safety generally only applies when they are on site and that is only about once a month for a few hours.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

They just get a job as health and safety executives instead and come onto site every month telling you how and how you can't do your own job :ph34r:.

Maybe for office boys who will barely pick up a pen without doing a risk assessment, but not all jobs are like that, even with health and safety being over the top. The building trade, for example, is still full of strenuous activities.

Plasterboarders have to individually load every single plaster board into plots. There is no other way to do it.

site labourers are up and down stairs with full bins.

brickies are constantly bending down to pick bricks up. in fact there isn't a trade or profession on site where you aren't putting strain on your back.

How do plumbers loads shower trays and boilers into plots? You can't just make them magically appear inside a plot. The forklift can only do so much.

groundworkers cannot do their job without using power tools such as stihl saws.

Watch a roofer work, there is no real safe way to do some of the stuff they have to do.

Even though you're supposed to have 2 men minimum carrying firedoors(which exceed 25kg and are obviously big, which makes them awkward) most joiners will be carrying them about on their own to get jobs done.

I don't even need to mention scaffolders.

These are just a few quick examples. Everything is strenuous on site. You can't get away from dangers either whatever you do. Then there are the laughably unrealistic deadlines, so that these companies can move people into houses and make their millions. Some trades are also on price which means they have to get things done to make money, this causes them to strain themselves all the time. Constantly.

What about the hazardous dust you breath in on site also? This for me is by far the worst part about the occupation as you can't prevent dust completely and most of it is equally as hazardous to health as asbestos. A lot of people treated with asbestoses when it first became a thing likely had silicosis instead, or other diseases caused by MDF, plasterboard, etc. it is a dangerous environment to be in, whether health and safety is way over the top in this country or not. Health and safety generally only applies when they are on site and that is only about once a month for a few hours.

That misses the point. As the total number of men in strenous jobs shrank if those things were the cause then the average life span gap between men and women should have also shrank somewhat, but so far the data scientists cannot find that in the numbers. So you might not being dying younger just by carrying something heavy. Biological factors are still a possibility, such as testosterone or calorie consumption. Especially as a similar gender life span gap is found in primates. 

57 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

That misses the point. As the total number of men in strenous jobs shrank if those things were the cause then the average life span gap between men and women should have also shrank somewhat, but so far the data scientists cannot find that in the numbers. So you might not being dying younger just by carrying something heavy. Biological factors are still a possibility, such as testosterone or calorie consumption. Especially as a similar gender life span gap is found in primates. 

I don't believe it is that, I'm a believer that it's more down to women having biological advantages, you make a good point with calorie consumption as well. We are also more prone to doing daft shit.

I was just making a  point that men definitely still do strenuous jobs, although it comes down to the actual profession rather than sex, I also don't mind it personally. It's a form of exercise as far as I'm concerned and dust is a bigger concern for me.

Archived