talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal and the contract(s) situation

11 minutes ago, Dan said:

Why didn't you sell them in the summer and buy some others? Your team could be strengthened in nearly every area with realistic targets too. I don't realistically know what Wenger thought he could achieve by keeping Sanchez there this season. Sure enough it's panned out nearly exactly like last year and there's no way on earth he'll stick with you now.

The plan was to sell Sanchez in the summer and replace him with Lemar. The Lemar deal fell through and because of that so did Sanchez's and that's the reason he's still here rather than it being a case of desperately hanging on to him. Ozil is a different matter, likely he'll leave but there's more of a question mark on that. He's done well this season so I don't think anyone regrets not selling him.

19 minutes ago, Dan said:

I honestly think under Wenger they will drop out of the top 6 altogether and eventually be battling for 7th. They're in decline and they're about to lose some of their best players without seeing anything for them, and the manager doesn't seem to have a clue how to address it.

It's a shame seeing him like this. He's been superb really and now he's become one big joke.

This isn't new to us and he's addressed it before. Not receiving a fee is unfortunate but no Premier League team should have problems with having money to sign decent players regardless of income from sales. Not saying we'll magically become title contenders but regularly being outside of the top 6 is unlikely because of the teams outside the top 6 not really having the ability to consistently be in the top 6 regularly. The difference between us and Liverpool and Tottenham isn't actually that big either regardless of bullshit narratives. The whole "they're on an upward trajectory" narrative hasn't meant shit for Tottenham even though their "upward trajectory" has been going on for over a decade. Liverpool have hardly actually done anything either. Mourinho burning down Man Utd is a plus for us and Chelsea have a question mark over a few important things regarding themselves as well. Hardly a case of us being a million miles away from any of these teams. Only Man City really come across as being on a higher tier.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Danny said:

Let's be honest after Ozil and Sanchez the only loss is Ramsey and even then what's he actually done in terms of the Prem and Champions League? A player they could easily replace.

Losing Chamberlain, Walcott and Wilshere would be a blessing in disguise. Arsenal need to invest heavily in another forward and wide player at the very least to steady the ship.

Lacazette is a good signing, but they can't rely on the likes of Iwobi

Ramsey is easily a £50m player in today's market he is absolutely brilliant. No way can we lose him because he would be near on impossible to replace and considering how weak our midfield is right now he has to stay. 

It just shows how vital he is that since he has been out we have only won 2 games out of 8. He has also assisted 4 of Lacazette's 8 goals this season and he hasn't scored a goal since Ramsey's has been out. In my opinion he is right up there with the best in the league, he just doesn't get the same recognition.

@6666 I'm not sure the plan was to sell Alexis at all. After the Liverpool shit storm to me Wenger panicked and just tried to flog him and Chamberlain. Why wait until the last day of the window to commit to selling? I suppose you could argue we didn't receive an suitable offer, but Wenger was pretty adamant in keeping Özil, Sanchez and Chamberlain. It was only after the 4-0 where things rapidly changed.

Not sure we should be scared of losing either Ramsey or Wilshere... Their profiles are over inflated and demand financial levels they don’t deserve.

Ask these questions;

Who needs a player in the position they play in?

How much would it cost to sign and how much would their status demand in wages?

Are you seriously telling me you can’t get as good as or better than them in their position elsewhere in Europe?

They are both mediocrity and reached their ceiling a long time ago like Walcott.  Overrated!

14 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Ramsey is easily a £50m player in today's market he is absolutely brilliant. No way can we lose him because he would be near on impossible to replace and considering how weak our midfield is right now he has to stay. 

It just shows how vital he is that since he has been out we have only won 2 games out of 8. He has also assisted 4 of Lacazette's 8 goals this season and he hasn't scored a goal since Ramsey's has been out. In my opinion he is right up there with the best in the league, he just doesn't get the same recognition.

@6666 I'm not sure the plan was to sell Alexis at all. After the Liverpool shit storm to me Wenger panicked and just tried to flog him and Chamberlain. Why wait until the last day of the window to commit to selling? I suppose you could argue we didn't receive an suitable offer, but Wenger was pretty adamant in keeping Özil, Sanchez and Chamberlain. It was only after the 4-0 where things rapidly changed.

Ramsey is a good player but if he was that big off a loss then he'd already be on his way out via the transfer market, I just don't see him as a massive loss, definitely think you could replace him by bringing someone in from Europe.

23 hours ago, 6666 said:

This isn't new to us and he's addressed it before. 

Well thats not true anymore, he had done some good work with mediocre players in the l second half of last decade and the beginning of this decade. But it cant happen all the time, Arsenal losing the champions league spot is the beginning of the downfall. Previously the team used to finish in top 4 despite the horrible run in some periods of the league and even when everyone thought they were going to drop the CL spot, wenger and the team somehow survived and made it every single time until last season. Its not the case anymore, and I dont see how can Arsenal pull great players without the champions league spot and also without having the likes of Sanchez and Ozil as their colleagues. Which world class player would want to play for Arsenal without european football and with the likes of Iwobi, Walcott and Welbeck?

This problem has been going on for a long time at Arsenal regarding contracts,  I believe Flamini the first time the situation occurred, when he was a first team player left to go to AC Milan for free after Arsenal let his contract run down, Nasri also only had 1 year left before he was sold.   The club should of learnt the 3rd time after Van Persie was sold with only 1 year left to Man utd, that transfer should of had big changes within the club regarding the dealings which left Arsenal selling a player that went on to win the league with another club being the star player, it was criminal.   

There is a big myth that Arsenal are a this really well run club, when in fact its a horror show, average players on huge sums of money who cannot be sold like Carl Jenkinson refused a transfer to Palace as he was offered 45k a week lower then his 60k at Arsenal, even Emmanuel Frimpong who only kicked a ball once for the club was on 60k a week, again the club had to loan him out several times before his contract ran out, there are so many other players to name, plus Walcott on 120k a week and now he will probably be hard to offload for that reason.  

Regarding the current contract situation, it does seem Arsenal have offered contracts to Sanchez, Ozil but they do not want to sign them, due to the fact they do not want to play under Wenger anymore.  Where are they going with him in charge, the same also goes for Wilshere, he again is out of contract,  these things also should of been sorted out 2 years ago, if they didn't want to sign back then, these players should of been sold.

• Subscriber
On 1/14/2018 at 02:01, 6666 said:

The plan was to sell Sanchez in the summer and replace him with Lemar. The Lemar deal fell through and because of that so did Sanchez's and that's the reason he's still here rather than it being a case of desperately hanging on to him. Ozil is a different matter, likely he'll leave but there's more of a question mark on that. He's done well this season so I don't think anyone regrets not selling him.

This isn't new to us and he's addressed it before. Not receiving a fee is unfortunate but no Premier League team should have problems with having money to sign decent players regardless of income from sales. Not saying we'll magically become title contenders but regularly being outside of the top 6 is unlikely because of the teams outside the top 6 not really having the ability to consistently be in the top 6 regularly. The difference between us and Liverpool and Tottenham isn't actually that big either regardless of bullshit narratives. The whole "they're on an upward trajectory" narrative hasn't meant shit for Tottenham even though their "upward trajectory" has been going on for over a decade. Liverpool have hardly actually done anything either. Mourinho burning down Man Utd is a plus for us and Chelsea have a question mark over a few important things regarding themselves as well. Hardly a case of us being a million miles away from any of these teams. Only Man City really come across as being on a higher tier.

Unfortunate? It's cost you tens of millions for the sake of something that just wasn't going to happen. I get not wanting to lose your best players but Arsenal made a rod for their own back by letting these contracts run down as long as they did. You should've bit the bullet in the summer and brought in some real quality. I'm not saying you'll even get players as good as them but if you can't do something impressive with your side with the money taken in for Sanchez and Ozil, plus the mental TV revenue, plus the fact you're Arsenal (so bound to have some kind of decent income) then there are other problems at the club.

A million miles away, maybe not, but you're still 6th out of them all and you're about to lose probably your two best players for nothing. You could be looking over your shoulder at this rate.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Unfortunate? It's cost you tens of millions for the sake of something that just wasn't going to happen. I get not wanting to lose your best players but Arsenal made a rod for their own back by letting these contracts run down as long as they did. You should've bit the bullet in the summer and brought in some real quality. I'm not saying you'll even get players as good as them but if you can't do something impressive with your side with the money taken in for Sanchez and Ozil, plus the mental TV revenue, plus the fact you're Arsenal (so bound to have some kind of decent income) then there are other problems at the club.

A million miles away, maybe not, but you're still 6th out of them all and you're about to lose probably your two best players for nothing. You could be looking over your shoulder at this rate.

The problem is the manager, he probably thinks the longer he keeps Sanchez and Ozil, he will be able to change their mind in signing. The whole Lemar thing was just a smoke screen,  Arsenal were chasing him all summer apparently, then they leave it to the last day to sign him but it was never going to happen in a million years as he was playing a World Cup qualifier which finished when the deadline was over.    

In potential Arsenal are on the verge of losing close to 180 million in todays market with the likes of Sanchez, Ozil and Wilshere who could all leave for nothing.  What club in history has lost the 3 key players to their team due to such poor dealings and a joke of how they operate,   apart from maybe Ajax in 1996 when they lost Kluivert, Seedorf and Davids for nothing  but that was due to the start of the Bosman ruling.    

On 01/14/2018 at 02:01, 6666 said:

I do agree it is not as simple as some people make out. And it does make me laugh how some people on here seem to think they know how to run a football club better than Wenger. But the question I have is why wait right till the end of the transfer window to sort it out. If we had gone in for Lemar earlier we might not have been in this situation.

On 01/13/2018 at 13:59, FOYM said:

They are just ridiculous. A club absolutely living off past success and it's a shame because they've got all the resources and tools to be one of the best clubs in Europe.

We have the resources to be better but there are lots of clubs with more resources than us.

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Not many. 

Man city, man utd, Chelsea, Barcelona, real Madrid, bayern Munich, Juventus. What about Liverpool, they have about the same resources as Arsenal?

26 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I do agree it is not as simple as some people make out. And it does make me laugh how some people on here seem to think they know how to run a football club better than Wenger. But the question I have is why wait right till the end of the transfer window to sort it out. If we had gone in for Lemar earlier we might not have been in this situation.

Sure, no one here has the experience Wenger has as a manager to run a club like Arsenal. But the point is he is doing a very bad job and thats what everyone is pointing out. Do you see any progress with the way wenger is running things in the last few years? Its not even stagnant anymore (it used to be before), now its all down hill. Not being able to keep your best players and not being able to sign players that could potentially win titles, massive losses against top 6 clubs, keeping average players on big pay cheques.. all these things definitely need to be questioned. 

54 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

We were never going to get Lemar, he was in the middle of the game for France, it was impossible to do the deal, it was just a con set up by Arsenal to try and convince people that they were actually going to get someone, if they were that keen on him for the 90 million, why not get the deal done when they put this alleged bid to get the player in January and you know why it was not done because they had no intention to sign him or pay that kind of money.   They wa Arsenal are run and the way they treat their own fans is a complete farce even though a lot of the fans are still to blame, they still pay the stupid prices to go, they still buy from the shops etc etc so why are the board interested in success when really they are only interested in the main thing which is money.

The only deals Arsenal can complete at the moment are commercial deals, they have no one in the club at all who has experience within sport contracts, apart from this new person from Team Sky but this has took 12 years to finally do something after David Dein left. 

• Subscriber

I don't have to be an expert in running a football club to know that letting an asset lose about £60mil of value in 12 months is bad business. Consider yourselves lucky Man Utd have come in for him.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I don't have to be an expert in running a football club to know that letting an asset lose about £60mil of value in 12 months is bad business. Consider yourselves lucky Man Utd have come in for him.

That's the ridiculous thing about football. Sell a player who wants to leave and whose contract is running out and there's a meltdown like there was with van Persie. Keep him and not cash in and there'll still be a meltdown. Difference of course is that we need the money less now.

Fans will go from "football isnt a business" to "selling him makes business sense" depending on which argument favours their agenda but when there's people going "How do contracts near their end? It's unfathomable" then I guess no one should be surprised by football logic. 

When he's your best player and there seems to be fuck all in terms of a plan to replace him, ozil, Ramsey or Wilshere, then you have to accept that it's a major cock up. It's shoddy as fuck for a club of that stature. 

We can’t afford the biggest players at the prices they’re now going for... Any germ to be found that could add real quality is no longer a secret in Europen football because everyone knows everyone. Our contract situation with the club players has been almost verging on the comical and add to the fact we can’t compete for players at the crazy prices we’re seeing now, we’re also underselling our marquee players because of the fact we thought we could keep up with the rest competitively by maintaining ourselves in the top competitions.

The only way is slowly down into mid table mediocrity. 

It baffles me that Arsenal fans can look at the state of their club and defend the way it's being run. You have a manager who has been taking you backwards for a decade, but instead of that costing him his job, he's only been given more power (until very recently) and a higher salary. You're about to lose your two best players for nothing, or a fraction of Sanchez's value if he does go this month. And they're not just your best players, they're your only top level players. Who's the face of Arsenal after this summer, Hector Bellerin?

There's already a gap between Arsenal and the rest of the top 6, and with a relatively poor manager, no top players, and no way of attracting new ones, I don't see how that closes any time soon.

I'm sorry, but things look pretty bleak for Arsenal at the moment, and it doesn't take a genius to know that this situation was entirely avoidable.

1 hour ago, Burning Gold said:

It baffles me that Arsenal fans can look at the state of their club and defend the way it's being run. You have a manager who has been taking you backwards for a decade, but instead of that costing him his job, he's only been given more power (until very recently) and a higher salary. You're about to lose your two best players for nothing, or a fraction of Sanchez's value if he does go this month. And they're not just your best players, they're your only top level players. Who's the face of Arsenal after this summer, Hector Bellerin?

There's already a gap between Arsenal and the rest of the top 6, and with a relatively poor manager, no top players, and no way of attracting new ones, I don't see how that closes any time soon.

I'm sorry, but things look pretty bleak for Arsenal at the moment, and it doesn't take a genius to know that this situation was entirely avoidable.

I have been saying for ages that this would happen to Arsenal the way it was going and that was about 4 years ago, now its just boring and Arsenal are the only club that are turning people off of football. 

9 hours ago, Dan said:

60 million?  we are losing close to probably £180 million with Wilshere, Sanchez, Ozil who can all leave for free, the same problems next year with Giroud, Ramsey, Kosicenly, Monreal as their contracts are up.  The whole club is a joke, how on earth these people who have been at the club like at a high level are still in a job I will never know,  I am sure any work place in the world apart from Arsenal, if you lose a company that sort of money due to poor management, heads will be rolling. 

24 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Shame! Bellerin is a big part of the problem to what is wrong at the club. 

Yeah, hasn’t made it as an estate agent to be honest.  But the club is still doing very good beusiness in that area mate.

Archived