talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal and the contract(s) situation

11 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Arsenal didn’t get into the top four last season and they offered Wenger a new 2 year contract?

You know what Danny, the more I dialect with you, the more I think you make shit up as you go along xD

It was the first time in his entire time at the club they failed to make it, if he can't get them in the top 4 again he will be gone.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Danny said:

It was the first time in his entire time at the club they failed to make it, if he can't get them in the top 4 again he will be gone.

Well they aren’t getting into the top four this season so we’ll see won’t we? 

I'll throw my two cents worth in here. In retrospect, it was a mistake to keep Alexis this year. Should have sold him on and replaced him. He has become a problem and may have cost the team a chance at finishing in the top 4 (although it's still possible). But I say that as someone who advocated keeping him, even if it meant running down his contract and losing him for nothing. I thought his presence gave the team a much better chance of getting back into the top 4 and that would more than offset the financial hit of letting him walk. After all, despite all the doom and gloom, Arsenal finished 5th last season with 75 points -- more than in the 2nd place finish the previous season. No other club had ever compiled that many points and finished outside the top 4 in the Premier League era. They finished just 3 points behind City and 5 ahead of United. So it wasn't such doom and gloom as is portrayed in retrospect. I thought that once the transfer window was closed Alexis would be professional and give his best effort. But he has largely gone through the motions and by all accounts he's created a lot of division on the team. Hopefully he'll be out the door tomorrow. Looking back, I should have seen a red flag when Bayern dropped their interest in Alexis last summer because of his salary demands. At the time, they looked a better bet than City to win both domestic and European trophies. They're still a better bet than United, but I guess money must have been his primary motivation all along (certainly his decision to jilt City for United would seem to be purely based on money).

As for Ramsey, Wilshere and Ozil, I would be surprised if the first two aren't extended. I think there's a good chance Ozil will stick around as well. He seems to genuinely love the club and living in London. So we'll see. Whatever the reasons for both club and player that it wasn't done sooner, I don't know. 

Honestly, the thing that has disappointed me in recent years is the club's inability to improve on the defensive end. Sometimes I think Arsene (who I will always love for his contributions to the club) has been too loyal to his players. He's put too much faith into players who either never reached their potential, have been too inconsistent or simply weren't good enough in the first place. He's probably put too much faith into a system and a philosophy as well.

But things seem to be changing now and I remain the eternal optimist. Several players were moved on in the summer who probably should have been moved on sooner (maybe Arsenal's pay structure made that difficult). Walcott, Coquelin and soon Alexis will be gone. But it looks as though they'll be replaced by Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan, which I see as a plus. Possibly the young stud Malcom as well, if not this month maybe in the summer. The current window seems to be largely the work of Sven Mislintat, the new head of recruitment who came from Dortmund. Changes seem to be happening throughout the club. Whether they can salvage a top 4 finish this year (or do as United did last year and win their way back into the Champions League by winning the Europa) remains to be seen. But strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

21 hours ago, Gary Seven said:

I'll throw my two cents worth in here. In retrospect, it was a mistake to keep Alexis this year. Should have sold him on and replaced him. He has become a problem and may have cost the team a chance at finishing in the top 4 (although it's still possible). But I say that as someone who advocated keeping him, even if it meant running down his contract and losing him for nothing. I thought his presence gave the team a much better chance of getting back into the top 4 and that would more than offset the financial hit of letting him walk. After all, despite all the doom and gloom, Arsenal finished 5th last season with 75 points -- more than in the 2nd place finish the previous season. No other club had ever compiled that many points and finished outside the top 4 in the Premier League era. They finished just 3 points behind City and 5 ahead of United. So it wasn't such doom and gloom as is portrayed in retrospect. I thought that once the transfer window was closed Alexis would be professional and give his best effort. But he has largely gone through the motions and by all accounts he's created a lot of division on the team. Hopefully he'll be out the door tomorrow. Looking back, I should have seen a red flag when Bayern dropped their interest in Alexis last summer because of his salary demands. At the time, they looked a better bet than City to win both domestic and European trophies. They're still a better bet than United, but I guess money must have been his primary motivation all along (certainly his decision to jilt City for United would seem to be purely based on money).

As for Ramsey, Wilshere and Ozil, I would be surprised if the first two aren't extended. I think there's a good chance Ozil will stick around as well. He seems to genuinely love the club and living in London. So we'll see. Whatever the reasons for both club and player that it wasn't done sooner, I don't know. 

Honestly, the thing that has disappointed me in recent years is the club's inability to improve on the defensive end. Sometimes I think Arsene (who I will always love for his contributions to the club) has been too loyal to his players. He's put too much faith into players who either never reached their potential, have been too inconsistent or simply weren't good enough in the first place. He's probably put too much faith into a system and a philosophy as well.

But things seem to be changing now and I remain the eternal optimist. Several players were moved on in the summer who probably should have been moved on sooner (maybe Arsenal's pay structure made that difficult). Walcott, Coquelin and soon Alexis will be gone. But it looks as though they'll be replaced by Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan, which I see as a plus. Possibly the young stud Malcom as well, if not this month maybe in the summer. The current window seems to be largely the work of Sven Mislintat, the new head of recruitment who came from Dortmund. Changes seem to be happening throughout the club. Whether they can salvage a top 4 finish this year (or do as United did last year and win their way back into the Champions League by winning the Europa) remains to be seen. But strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

Yes players are leaving, but more are leaving then coming in,  already this season Arsenal have sold 

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Liverpool FC Liverpool £34.20m
Theo Walcott Everton FC Everton £20.25m
Francis Coquelin Valencia CF Valencia CF £12.60m
Wojciech Szczesny Juventus FC Juventus £10.98m
Gabriel Paulista Valencia CF Valencia CF £9.90m
Kieran Gibbs West Bromwich Albion West Brom

£6.75m

7 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Yes players are leaving, but more are leaving then coming in,  already this season Arsenal have sold 

£6.75m

Well we’re not earning what we were by being consistently qualifying to participate in the Champions League.  Wages have to be reduced! That’s one way to look at it and another way is to finally cut down on overrated players that were never going to take us any further... But there’s a third way to look at it...

let’s just wait and see!

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Well we’re not earning what we were by being consistently qualifying to participate in the Champions League.  Wages have to be reduced! That’s one way to look at it and another way is to finally cut down on overrated players that were never going to take us any further... But there’s a third way to look at it...

let’s just wait and see!

Well there you will have to sell 90% of the playing staff. 

On January 18, 2018 at 19:13, VanPaddy said:

£6.75m

I would argue that the ones leaving are generally expendable and some should have been moved on long ago. The squad was far too big. No room for new signings or for youth products to get their chance. Out with the old, in with the new. Arsenal needs better players. Even Alexis (reports of unpopularity and disruption aside), if replaced by Mkhitarian and Aubameyang, well that's a positive to me.

We can speculate all we want because if there’s one thing football can do, it’s prove itself!

The proof will be in the pudding... There’s no doubt that Arsenal needed and continue to need to get rid of a lot of mediocrity, but it’s all about what you replace that with. From there on we’ll see and then comment...

Archived