talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Friends

football forum

• Administrator

So since Netflix has uploaded Friends to its roster, millennials have complained about how misogynistic and homophobic the series is. Personally, whilst I’m not surprised people want to complain for the sake of complaining I’m astounded by some of the complaints levelled at the series. Kathleen Turner who played Chandlers trans-father is not only genius casting but she nails the role. Now it’s being judged by today’s standards as showing a lack of respect to the gender non-conformity movement. So are these complaints justified or is it absolute bollocks? I side with the latter.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/friends-netflix-sexist-racist-transphobic-problematic-millenials-watch-a8154626.html

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, RandoEFC said:

Jesus wept. Show them some Family Guy or South Park and their heads will probably explode. 

If you don't like it or it offends you, don't watch it.

Family Guy is a great shout, they’ll go ape shit at its unwavering irreverence. 

6 minutes ago, Batard said:

So since Netflix has uploaded Friends to its roster, millennials have complained about how misogynistic and homophobic the series is. Personally, whilst I’m not surprised people want to complain for the sake of complaining I’m astounded by some of the complaints levelled at the series. Kathleen Turner who played Chandlers trans-father is not only genius casting but she nails the role. Now it’s being judged by today’s standards as showing a lack of respect to the gender non-conformity movement. So are these complaints justified or is it absolute bollocks? I side with the latter.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/friends-netflix-sexist-racist-transphobic-problematic-millenials-watch-a8154626.html

I was reading about this as well... I think there are a certain amount of individuals that wouldn't be happy unless we destroyed anything that had gone before in a time where views were different. Comedy was vastly different then to what it is now and what was considered humour back then is now considered offensive/sexist or racist now... Some seem certain to try and impose their will on the world regardless if something happened 300 years ago or just last year.. It does get a bit tedious to hear it all the time.. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I was reading about this as well... I think there are a certain amount of individuals that wouldn't be happy unless we destroyed anything that had gone before in a time where views were different. Comedy was vastly different then to what it is now and what was considered humour back then is now considered offensive/sexist or racist now... Some seem certain to try and impose their will on the world regardless if something happened 300 years ago or just last year.. It does get a bit tedious to hear it all the time.. 

I think it goes deeper mate, I think - well assume - that this is as much to do with their bloated sense of entitlement and because Friends pre-dates their existence. Well the start at least. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Clickbait media scam. 

Aye but I find this stuff the truly Snowflake generation shit. Friends has been on tv constantly since it ended on repeat and yet now it’s ripe for offence? Absolute arse.

• Administrator
Just now, nudge said:

Sometimes I think that this whole millennial shit is just a well-organised pisstake where the whole generation pretends to be offended by everything in order to annoy the rest xD 

Surely would rank as the greatest wumming of modern times xD

5 minutes ago, Batard said:

Aye but I find this stuff the truly Snowflake generation shit. Friends has been on tv constantly since it ended on repeat and yet now it’s ripe for offence? Absolute arse.

I know, but these tiny minority extremists are getting more attention than they warrant. Every young generation has an authoritarian wing and some sort of excessive aggressiveness. The independent actively go seeking controversial opinions on twitter to make a story that will rile enough people to get some retweets, likes, shares etc that will drive up their revenues.

It leads to "this generation" etc. Remember, this forum is probably 90-95% millennial generation, how many of them are potty?

• The title was changed to 'Friends' Accused of Misogyny & Homophobia
  • Administrator

Fucking joke hearing this. 

Absolute cunts to complain about it. Not worth listening to them if the first time they're watching Friends is in 2018.

It'd be like me complaining about some of the jokes you get in Fawlty Towers when I first watched it about 15 years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Fucking joke hearing this. 

Absolute cunts to complain about it. Not worth listening to them if the first time they're watching Friends is in 2018.

It'd be like me complaining about some of the jokes you get in Fawlty Towers when I first watched it about 15 years ago. 

We should give them things to attack and keep them busy, start re-runs of 'Love Thy Neighbour' and 'Till Death Do Us Part' on Netflix then maybe we can overload their tiny minds and then we can have the buggers sedated when they implode and have huge meltdowns... 

'Mind Your Language' would be another good shout for re-run.. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

We should give them things to attack and keep them busy, start re-runs of 'Love Thy Neighbour' and 'Till Death Do Us Part' on Netflix then maybe we can overload their tiny minds and then we can have the buggers sedated when they implode and have huge meltdowns... 

Imagine them watching I Love Lucy... xD 

Some people just love to piss and moan about anything these days. Not surprised that it's the snowflakes once again.

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Think they'd take offence just by watching Windsor Davies calling his officers poofs on 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum', finishing off with suicide after realising Michael Bates was blackfacing.

2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Some people just love to piss and moan about anything these days. Not surprised that it's the snowflakes once again.

Think they'd take offence just by watching Windsor Davies calling his officers poofs on 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum', finishing off with suicide after realising Michael Bates was blackfacing.

'The Black & White Minstrel Show' for those that remember that far back... B|

I think we should get a petition up for these shows to come back... fight fire with fire and watch them all implode 

It's a programme that was made nearly 20 years ago, I imagine there will be moments in it that wouldn't get aired now.

I don't really get the fuss over Friends. But like Harvey said, it'll be a small fraction of people complaining, hardly a problem amongst all "millennials".

1 minute ago, Danny said:

It's a programme that was made nearly 20 years ago, I imagine there will be moments in it that wouldn't get aired now.

I don't really get the fuss over Friends. But like Harvey said, it'll be a small fraction of people complaining, hardly a problem amongst all "millennials".

'Smelly Cat' was a classic mate... don't know what you are missing

It's a sign that these activists aren't very smart, because obviously this makes the public opinion sway against them. Even my mother is getting annoyed by this gender bullshit where normally she wouldn't care.

All I'll say is that millennials didn't come up with all this crap by themselves.

1 hour ago, Panflute said:

It's a sign that these activists aren't very smart, because obviously this makes the public opinion sway against them. Even my mother is getting annoyed by this gender bullshit where normally she wouldn't care.

All I'll say is that millennials didn't come up with all this crap by themselves.

Same here... If you don't like watching something then switch over or switch off, If you don't like being around people you find offensive or bigoted then fuck them off or stay away from them. History is exactly what it is.. History, old news, old ways, something we should be learning from to help ourselves move forward and better ourselves in our behaviors towards others... 

Let's go mad shall we.. Tear down the Pyramids that were built of the backs of slaves while we are at it.. I don't see anybody giving Egypt a fucking hard time but I suppose they will get there in the end once they have burned every book and bit of film/tv that offends their delicate nature... 

They can all go and do one as far as I am concerned... 

• The title was changed to Friends

Archived