talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Friends

football forum

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

In fairness Roy Chubby Brown is about as funny as AIDS

The point was though, nobody took offence.

The only reason I found him funny as a youngster was due to the fact he swore a lot, although there are definitely far better stand ups of course. It was just an example of him getting away with a lot more than you would now, without it being a big deal.

There are too many sensitive people in this country these days.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The point was though, nobody took offence.

The only reason I found him funny as a youngster was due to the fact he swore a lot, although there are definitely far better stand ups of course. It was just an example of him getting away with a lot more than you would now, without it being a big deal.

There are too many sensitive people in this country these days.

There's generational things and then there's pure racism, Only Fools for example has the odd word or two that wouldn't make it in a show today but overall it's ok.

Roy Chubby Brown is just pure ignorance and it's not the slip of one or two words, his entire act is ignorant and a lot more than borderline racist.

I think it's weird because people criticise things like Chandler being uncomfortable with his transgender dad or Ross hating the male nanny, when the entire point of the show is that these are stupid insecurities and the plot is even about the characters dealing with them. 

If fictional characters were good people 100% of the time there would be no plot, they need to have flaws so that they have something to work with for an episode. 

1 hour ago, Inverted said:

I think it's weird because people criticise things like Chandler being uncomfortable with his transgender dad or Ross hating the male nanny, when the entire point of the show is that these are stupid insecurities and the plot is even about the characters dealing with them. 

If fictional characters were good people 100% of the time there would be no plot, they need to have flaws so that they have something to work with for an episode. 

Unfortunately, the snowflakes of today don't actually understand this and just jump straight on to Twitter to criticise how 'offended' they are when possible.

3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Unfortunately, the snowflakes of today don't actually understand this and just jump straight on to Twitter to criticise how 'offended' they are when possible.

It's sadly been a problem from across the spectrum forever.

Conservatives with things like Catcher in the Rye, or A Clockwork Orange, liberals with American Psycho - people can't accept that just because a character in a piece of fiction holds certain views, doesn't mean the author is pushing them.

It's possible for your main character to hold views that are entirely against what the narrative is advocating. 

Edit: in fact I think trying to paint it as a youth snowflake issue is kinda unfair considering that censorship historically has been 90% advocated by conservatives and the elderly.

• The title was changed to Friends
On 20/05/2021 at 16:01, Stan said:

A 'reunion' trailer has been released.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57182743

More of a nostalgia trip as opposed to an actual episode.

And yes, we get some people don't like it or think it's unfunny. 

Bit sad that it's more like a talk show. Saddest thing though was to see how many of them got plastic surgery. I think Lisa Kudrow and maybe Matthew Perry and Matt Leblanc are the only ones without any. :52_fearful: David Schwimmer and Courtney Cox look weird. 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Bit sad that it's more like a talk show. Saddest thing though was to see how many of them got plastic surgery. I think Lisa Kudrow and maybe Matthew Perry and Matt Leblanc are the only ones without any. :52_fearful: David Schwimmer and Courtney Cox look weird. 

Matthew Perry is unrecognisable. If he was walking down the street I genuinely wouldn't see him as Chandler. 

Weirdly I think LeBlanc looks the most natural - just much fatter xD

The 3 women got plastic surgery and botox very early on. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Matthew Perry is unrecognisable. If he was walking down the street I genuinely wouldn't see him as Chandler. 

Weirdly I think LeBlanc looks the most natural - just much fatter xD

The 3 women got plastic surgery and botox very early on. 

Matthew Perry has quite a past with substance abuse, no? I think that really shows. :52_fearful: 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Tommy said:

Matthew Perry has quite a past with substance abuse, no? I think that really shows. :52_fearful: 

Yeah between a couple of the seasons it was so obvious. Piled a lot of weight on then lost it because of the drugs. 

10 hours ago, Tommy said:

The saddest thing was seeing James Corden presenting it. What an absolute thundercunt that man is. Genuinely put off any show he is associated with.

6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

The saddest thing was seeing James Corden presenting it. What an absolute thundercunt that man is. Genuinely put off any show he is associated with.

You're so full of hate. Tranquillo, my friend. Time on this planet is too short for all that rage. :100_pray:

On 18/01/2018 at 20:27, Burning Gold said:

Could be because you're talking out your arse :ph34r:

Our previous generations may not share the same characteristics as previous US generations (although we certainly have baby boomers), but our culture diverging with America's results in the later generations sharing the same influences, and therefore many of the same characteristics.

Any pics?

On 20/05/2021 at 15:01, Stan said:

A 'reunion' trailer has been released.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57182743

More of a nostalgia trip as opposed to an actual episode.

And yes, we get some people don't like it or think it's unfunny. 

Shame to see Corden and other celebrities unrelated to the show are going to be involved. 

It would’ve been perfect to have the cast interviewed by a supporting cast actor (say Tom Selleck, or whoever plays Gunter or Charlie or whoever was available) but instead you’ve got Corden and co. clinging on the coat-tails of the Friends legacy. 

• 5 months later...
On 24/10/2021 at 18:24, Tommy said:

I thought I read that he skipped the reunion show because he was pretty ill and didn't want to bring everyone down.  I still think his best contribution to the show was the "Hey buddy, this is a family establishment... let's keep the mouse in its house."

Archived