talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Theo Walcott Signs for Everton

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lennon because he's better defensively?

I think the signing makes sense as some pace will make Everton less easy to defend against.

Agreed. I might be totally wrong but I think Walcott is a great signing for the shite. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Lennon because he's better defensively?

I think the signing makes sense as some pace will make Everton less easy to defend against.

I can't see us using both Walcott and Bolasie (regularly) at the same time with little to no cover when defending in an Allardyce plan whereas Lennon's best attribute is his defensive work. 

If Lennon sticks around he'll still get a fair share of games at the expense of one of them and it's why we will lose two good prospects in Vlasic and Lookman. 

55 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Maybe not you mate but have a look in the The Ox thread. Full of people laughing, saying we were mugs. 

Turns out he’s an exceptional player and not just that, a leader and genuinely nice bloke as well. He’s quickly turned into one of my favourite players and that can only be put down to Klopp and how he’s coaxed that natural talent out of him. 

The Ox was one of Arsenals best players last season, something obviously happened to him at Arsenal  plus he is not a wing back and that is where Wenger was playing him.  There are so many other players who have gone stale because of Wenger and they should of left but are still on the books happy to take the money while their contracts run out.

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Maybe Walcott just hasn’t been coached right? Look at The Ox, you lot were saying the same things about him 6 months ago and now look, fantastic player. 

Just needed a proper coach to nurture the talent. 

I agree with this. When he was younger in the 2012/13 season and got to play as a striker now and again he looked a different player. I'd argue that Wenger couldn't get the best out of him. Not that he was overrated.

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I agree with this. When he was younger in the 2012/13 season and got to play as a striker now and again he looked a different player. I'd argue that Wenger couldn't get the best out of him. Not that he was overrated.

He was definitely overrated mate because I remember when he was signed and the following three years with us.  The media we’re going on about him like he was the next big thing and that Henry had him under his wing so as to be his successor.  He isn’t and never has been anywhere near Henry’s level and I mean ANYWHERE near the legend’s level.  He’s just another overrated English player, a player of the like you’ll find an abundance of in various of Europe’s top leagues and he wouldn’t get into any of the national sides of those top leagues either.

He’s the English Deulofeu.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Maybe Walcott just hasn’t been coached right? Look at The Ox, you lot were saying the same things about him 6 months ago and now look, fantastic player. 

Just needed a proper coach to nurture the talent. 

Does Allardyce count as a proper coach? ¬¬

I mean, this could prove to be a great signing but I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Hopefully it at least means we can play Walcott and Bolasie on the flanks and see the end of the tedious Sigurdsson left Rooney middle bullshit.

A system I really think he could benefit from is if he plays upfront in a 2 with a bigger striker that can hold it up. Would've actually liked for us to have tried that with him and Giroud. Will be interesting to see how Everton use him. Always been a great professional so wish him luck.

He’s got pace, has a decent nose for smelling to position himself in dangerous situations.  Apart from that he has many other flaws although one of the biggest ones he used to have that would get me all irritated was his lack of courage for going in for 50/50 balls... He sorted that out a bit although he’s never going to be a brave player.  For me he was always a player that you were waiting for his explosion onto the world football scene but in the end you could see he had reached the ceiling of what had been potential.  He will be a very good addition for Everton though.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Danny said:

Moshiri's millions really taking Everton places.

He'll be a good signing but I can't see him having them competing with Spurs and above long term

The crux of it for me, is that they're signing a player deemed not good enough by the side they want to catch, and they're paying a fair bit for it in the process - enough to help that side fund a transfer for a better (you'd hope), younger player.

I just don't really get this one. A poor value transfer.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

The crux of it for me, is that they're signing a player deemed not good enough by the side they want to catch, and they're paying a fair bit for it in the process - enough to help that side fund a transfer for a better (you'd hope), younger player.

I just don't really get this one. A poor value transfer.

Anyone they sign is going to have been deemed not good enough by the sides they want to catch. This is the conundrum of coming into money, how do you overtake teams when you can't sign players as good as they can in the transfer market. 

Whether you buy their hand me downs, buy an unknown entity from abroad or buy someone stepping up from further down the league, all of them would have gone to the teams you are trying to overtake if they could have.

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

I disagree. In fact I’d go as far as to say that he comes in and potentially becomes their best player. 

Yeah, I know @Dan didn't sound too keen but I don't think it's a poor transfer at all. He can offer Everton a lot they don't have. Pace being the obvious one. That said, he wouldn't be their best player for me. Their best player has been sat at home nursing his broken leg all season IMO. But can you imagine him and Coleman linking up on the right flank? That will cause problems.

Seen a few comments on here about Walcott potentially being coached wrong or perhaps harshly written off at Arsenal. I wouldn't be too harsh on Wenger tbh, just because Oxlade-Chamberlain has been rejuvenated. There are two facets to Walcott's game that he simply doesn't possess.

1. Is a Football brain. His decision making when in decent attacking positions has always left a lot to be desired. He'll shoot when he should have passed, passed when he should have shot and get's caught offside too much because he doesn't make intelligent timed runs.

2. Is a decent final ball. How many cunting times do you pull your hair out because he doesn't beat the first man when delivering a ball or it's a sloppy final pass when it was easier to stick it on a plate for someone. Not to mention his finishing can sometimes leave a lot to be desired. His one on one conversion rate is not the best.

That said, he's not a 'poor' player. No way. There are times when his key attributes, such as pace and skill, work out for him and exploit the opposition and his movement in and around the box is decent too. He will only improve Everton.

I hope he stays injury free, get's a good run of games and rebuilds his confidence into the Theo we have always seen glimpses of but on a more consistent level. He still has a lot to offer at his age, these next four years are his final peak years. Time to deliver Theo.

Archived