• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Toilet breaks during lessons.

football forum

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's cruel. Have you ever had to hold a piss for an hour? You know what the kid holding his piss isn't doing? He's not paying attention anymore. He's not learning.

He's concentrated on not pissing himself and ruining his social life, while also hating the guts out of you.

I do remind them to go at break and lunch.

Yes I have held a piss, teachers cannot leave children to pop to the toilet.

What breaks do they get during the day? At my school they essentially get three breaks. Recess, lunch and crunch n sip (10 min afternoon break to eat fruit or veg). I let students go during lessons if the timing is right and if I know they're not just trying to get out of class. It's easy to tell who is bullshitting you. Ease up I reckon, they're only year 6!

29 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's cruel. Have you ever had to hold a piss for an hour? You know what the kid holding his piss isn't doing? He's not paying attention anymore. He's not learning.

He's concentrated on not pissing himself and ruining his social life, while also hating the guts out of you.

That is a very good point.. 

I appreciate the general disruption that it could cause while trying to hold a class so understand why you are trying to lay the law down but I think letting them pop to the loo every now and then is not going to disrupt their overall education is it although I do see where you are coming from trying to get them to go during their breaks.. sadly nature is nature and when you need to go you need to go.. 

If it's any consolation to you they don't change when they get older and depending on how old depends on how much worse they actually get.. xD

My lot work in a fairly cold environment and they are always popping off to the loo even if they have just come back from an hours lunch, I might follow your lead and tell them to sod off next time and wait 2 hours for their next break... If I did that I could expect HR to be ringing the phone off it's hook telling me I am breaching a basic human right.. 

39 minutes ago, Anton said:

What breaks do they get during the day? At my school they essentially get three breaks. Recess, lunch and crunch n sip (10 min afternoon break to eat fruit or veg). I let students go during lessons if the timing is right and if I know they're not just trying to get out of class. It's easy to tell who is bullshitting you. Ease up I reckon, they're only year 6!

School day starts at 9:00 they get a 20 min break 10:30 and then an hour's lunch at 12:10. The day ends at 3:15.

• Subscriber
47 minutes ago, Anton said:

Wait, so you don't actually have any breaks between lessons? Like, when I went to school it was 10 minutes break after every 45 minutes of instruction + 30 minute lunch break around noon!

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Wait, so you don't actually have any breaks between lessons? Like, when I went to school it was 10 minutes break after every 45 minutes of instruction + 30 minute lunch break around noon!

Think its swizzled around to have a longer lunch break but I'd imagine there are short breaks between lessons otherwise its taxing both on the students and the instructors.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Think its swizzled around to have a longer lunch break but I'd imagine there are short breaks between lessons otherwise its taxing both on the students and the instructors.

We did that at uni in order to finish earlier, but damn, as a kid, I would have struggled to stay focused for over an hour anyway xD 

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

We did that at uni in order to finish earlier, but damn, as a kid, I would have struggled to stay focused for over an hour anyway xD 

funnily enough in my older years of learning I never really had too much of holding it in then again the classes for adults are spaced far differently than it is for children imo. Can't really hold a young mind's attention for too long before it starts wavering. Taking breaks once in a while is okay and if you really have to go I don't think anyone should be shy or hold it back. Having said that if it becomes a habit then conditioning them to learn to use their time more wisely would probably be a better approach. From the looks of things they get ample opportunity to let it all out from the schedule mentioned above.

If its right after lunch then maybe metabolism kicked in and you have to go. Just saying.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Missjem said:

I do remind them to go at break and lunch.

Yes I have held a piss, teachers cannot leave children to pop to the toilet.

I guess teachers have more self-restraint and self-discipline than a child though. 

The mission of everybody's day at work should be not to get a complaint. 

Would a parent complain if there eleven year old child told them they couldn't go toilet five minutes in to a lesson? More than likely notm

Would a parent complain if there child was subject to ridicule and bullying because they had an 'accident' after they weren't allowed to go to toilet half hour in to a lesson? Most definitely.

Then what happens if the complaint is made because the bullying gets so severe the child self harms? Disciplinary action against yourself that could have been easily prevented. 

I remember at secondary school when we were in drama sat on the this wooden, hall-like floor in a group circle and the teacher wouldn't allow this lad to go to the toilet. About 10 minutes later this big puddle emerged around him. I still remember that to this day. How embarrassing it must have been for the lad(who I actually know well), he got roasted for that for the rest of his school days.

6 hours ago, nudge said:

Primary school nope. High school there's usually time between classes.

• Subscriber

In primary school when you generally have one teacher who knows if you're constantly getting out of lesson using the toilet as an excuse then I don't see why you can't let them go as long as they're not trying to do it three times a day.

Secondary school is slightly different because you have 5 or 6 different teachers in a day. Most schools have a toilet pass system or some sort of record of how often students go so someone can intervene if a pupil is taking the piss (lol) and going three times a day.

The other reason secondary is different is that they are growing to an age where they should really be capable of managing when they go to the toilet. When they leave school and get jobs such as teacher, police officer, bus driver, they can't just go to the toilet whenever so they need to learn to take some responsibility and think ahead instead of for getting to go at break time because they were too busy playing with filters on Snapchat (how fucking old do I sound right now?).

As a rule, if a kid asks to go to the toilet I'll say ask again in 5 minutes and I'll let you go. You'd be amazed how many of them forget within five minutes so clearly didnt need it that urgently and I'm yet to have a student piss themselves in my classroom.

Primary is a bit different though.

Hope you enjoyed the long serious post.

In primary school I think we had a break from 11-11:15am and a lunch break from 1-1:45pm. That leaves a stretch of 2 hours at the start, 1hr 45mins before lunch, and about 1hr 30 mins before the final bell. For kids' bladders, 90 minutes can be a long time. 

In secondary school, each class only lasted 55 minutes so you could always run to the toilet quickly between classes without needing to wait a whole hour. Didn't matter though, since teachers generally had no issue in secondary school, either. 

Even in uni, if a class runs over an hour, almost every lecturer will have a 5 minute break in the middle. And you can excuse yourself from a class and come back in, though it's a bit embarrassing. 

Expecting little children to exercise more control over their bladders than teenagers and young adults is mad haha. 

If my kid was constantly abusing toilet breaks then I'd say fair enough.

But if my kid wasn't allowed to go during lessons with one particular teacher then I'd probably have a problem with the fact there's a teacher who's on some sort of toilet based power trip.

40 minutes ago, Danny said:

If my kid was constantly abusing toilet breaks then I'd say fair enough.

But if my kid wasn't allowed to go during lessons with one particular teacher then I'd probably have a problem with the fact there's a teacher who's on some sort of toilet based power trip.

It also depends on the age. Six, okay I'll let it slide. Thirteen? Little shit is probably smoking fags (if kids still do that).

Archived