talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Going Sober

football forum

Thinking about going Sober.

Got alcoholism in the family (though in the past, not present), and so I already take an entire month off just to make sure I can. However, I seem to be changing now that I'm 32, father, and running Ultramarathons, that leans my preferences towards a more healthy lifestyle. Problem, or at least a hurdle, will be the wife who likes to drink wine 24/7, and the simple fact that I absolutely love beer and vodka.

I already make it a rule not to drink during the week, so I'm thinking I might take it one step further here in the new couple of weeks/months.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

If you think going sober will make you healthier/happier/feel better, then by all means go for it! In general, I've always been an advocate of "everything in moderation" line of thought myself, but then I also know how big individual differences are and I have also seen first-hand examples of how bad alcoholism can be. 

I drink much less than I used to, but then I never drank to get drunk in the first place (except some teenage experiences, haha). I quit smoking over three years ago though as i noticed it affecting my health; I'd still have a cigar/cigarillo on special occasions and I also had a few cigs once in a while on a night out too, but will never go back to regular smoking ever, fuck that shit. I don't miss it at all either. Similarly, I stopped drinking coffee regularly as my body doesn't seem to tolerate caffeine well anymore, which is a huge disaster for me as I used to love strong black coffee with no milk/sugar :(

• Administrator

I'm currently doing dry January and already feeling the benefits. I don't feel as tired when I wake up at the weekends (not that I used to go crazy when drinking before) but I feel slightly healthier just in this short time). 

Like you, I cut out drinking during the week but then mentally ended up compensating for it at the weekend thinking I had 'earned' the drinks. I think that helped in the short term and then Christmas came along haha. We had a family event at the weekend and I felt like the only one that was sober (apart from my pregnant sister in). Didn't feel like I needed to rely on alcohol to enjoy the day though. 

22 minutes ago, nudge said:

If you think going sober will make you healthier/happier/feel better, then by all means go for it! In general, I've always been an advocate of "everything in moderation" line of thought myself, but then I also know how big individual differences are and I have also seen first-hand examples of how bad alcoholism can be. 

I drink much less than I used to, but then I never drank to get drunk in the first place (except some teenage experiences, haha). I quit smoking over three years ago though as i noticed it affecting my health; I'd still have a cigar/cigarillo on special occasions and I also had a few cigs once in a while on a night out too, but will never go back to regular smoking ever, fuck that shit. I don't miss it at all either. Similarly, I stopped drinking coffee regularly as my body doesn't seem to tolerate caffeine well anymore, which is a huge disaster for me as I used to love strong black coffee with no milk/sugar :(

I have thought about cutting out my coffee consumption. Right now I'm drinking about 40oz of black coffee every morning.

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'm currently doing dry January and already feeling the benefits. I don't feel as tired when I wake up at the weekends (not that I used to go crazy when drinking before) but I feel slightly healthier just in this short time). 

Like you, I cut out drinking during the week but then mentally ended up compensating for it at the weekend thinking I had 'earned' the drinks. I think that helped in the short term and then Christmas came along haha. We had a family event at the weekend and I felt like the only one that was sober (apart from my pregnant sister in). Didn't feel like I needed to rely on alcohol to enjoy the day though. 

Yeah - my wife and I celebrated our 6 year anniversary and had a couple bottles of wine, and I'm still feeling sluggish after it. I just think that I'm tired of the after effects of alcohol. While I am extremely motivated by healthy concerns and whatnot, the truth is I'm just tired of feeling like shit the day after drinking.

Archived