talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ronaldinho

football forum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has to be the shortest high level lived spell where you can still genuinely say he’s an out and out football legend.  I can’t think of anyone else that had their optimum level for such a short time but is blanket rated by all.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Has to be the shortest high level lived spell where you can still genuinely say he’s an out and out football legend.  I can’t think of anyone else that had their optimum level for such a short time but is blanket rated by all.

George Best and Kaka come to mind.

Just now, Spike said:

George Best and Kaka come to mind.

Kaká lasted for a lot longer than Ronaldinho mate... At least playing at elite level football.

George Best too... How many optimum years did we get out of Ronaldinho? 4 or maybe at a stretch, 5 at most.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Kaká lasted for a lot longer than Ronaldinho mate... At least playing at elite level football.

George Best too... How many optimum years did we get out of Ronaldinho? 4 or maybe at a stretch, 5 at most.

Not my point. They may have lasted longer but their shelf life was limited.

Just now, Cicero said:

I'd say from 2004 to 2008 we saw the best out of Kaka 

Hivemind!

Just now, Spike said:

I'd even go as far to say Kaka was elite for only 4 years before injuries ruined him.

Just now, Spike said:

Not my point. They may have lasted longer but their shelf life was limited.

To be honest, (this is a personal opinion) Kaká isn’t on the pantheon of legendary players for me even though he did win a Ballon d’Or.  He just doesn’t cut it for me at that level.

George Best’s best was so good that he is is one of the historical greats. But he did last a lot longer than Ronaldinho.  For me Ronaldinho is an anomaly in this sense but there may be others recognised in a similar vein I can’t think of right now.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

To be honest, (this is a personal opinion) Kaká isn’t on the pantheon of legendary players for me even though he did win a Ballon d’Or.  He just doesn’t cut it for me at that level.

George Best’s best was so good that he is is one of the historical greats. But he did last a lot longer than Ronaldinho.  For me Ronaldinho is an anomaly in this sense but there may be others recognised in a similar vein I can’t think of right now.

Didn't Stoichov only last for a few years at elite status?

Most naturally gifted player I have ever seen. It's a shame that his lifestyle didn't suit that of a professional football player. We wouldn't talk about Messi and Ronaldo as we do today, if Ronaldinho had the same professionalism. 

Just now, Spike said:

Didn't Stoichov only last for a few years at elite status?

No way!  He outlasted Cruyff’s coaching era at Barça and then moved to Italy to return to Barcelona. had a great World Cup too!  With Ronaldinho we’re talking about what I feel is a four year span at most because his final two seasons at Barça were terrible.

Just now, Tommy said:

Most naturally gifted player I have ever seen. It's a shame that his lifestyle didn't suit that of a professional football player. We wouldn't talk about Messi and Ronaldo as we do today, if Ronaldinho had the same professionalism. 

Adds to his mystery. Playing for fun over competition. Maybe it's only because of his lifestyle that he was talented?

Just now, Spike said:

Adds to his mystery. Playing for fun over competition. Maybe it's only because of his lifestyle that he was talented?

That could also be true. He was always smiling when he was playing, who knows if he would have been the same if he approached things in a different manner. 

Just now, Tommy said:

That could also be true. He was always smiling when he was playing, who knows if he would have been the same if he approached things in a different manner. 

That is what Messi used to be like before this:

Image result for messi blonde

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

is it true Ronaldinho's contracts often included a clause where he was allowed to go out on at least 2 nights a week and get absolutely bladdered at his own will?

Yep! They did and he’s not the only one that had that type of contract.  Romario did too.

• The title was changed to Ronaldinho

Archived