9. League One England 4,373,496

10. Primeira Liga Portugal 3,622,428

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42704713

Neymar, Messi and Ronaldo should be playing in the Championship

Probably helps that there are 24 teams in the league :ph34r:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think it's a brilliant compliment to English Football. Our own media and fans have a habit of knocking Football in this country but the one thing you cannot deny is people will turn up and watch their team. Well, unless you follow Reading or Cardiff City (Sorry BB)

Also, it's not like this division is full of mediocre clubs. Last season we had Newcastle, Villa, Derby, Wednesday, Forest, Wolves, Us...all notorious 'bigger' clubs that you could say would be better suited to PL football. And then you have the likes of your Norwich's, Ipswich's, Bristol City's, Fulham's, Birmingham's etc that still attract decent gate's.

Only last week one of the biggest domestic derbies, the Steel City derby was being played in Sheffield, in this league. I think most weeks you'll see a couple games that would not be out of place in the Premier League compared to your Bournemouth's, Stoke's, West Brom's etc

It really doesn't surprise me that it's as high as it is.

On 17/01/2018 at 21:23, Lucas said:

I actually think it's a brilliant compliment to English Football. Our own media and fans have a habit of knocking Football in this country but the one thing you cannot deny is people will turn up and watch their team. Well, unless you follow Reading or Cardiff City (Sorry BB)

Also, it's not like this division is full of mediocre clubs. Last season we had Newcastle, Villa, Derby, Wednesday, Forest, Wolves, Us...all notorious 'bigger' clubs that you could say would be better suited to PL football. And then you have the likes of your Norwich's, Ipswich's, Bristol City's, Fulham's, Birmingham's etc that still attract decent gate's.

Only last week one of the biggest domestic derbies, the Steel City derby was being played in Sheffield, in this league. I think most weeks you'll see a couple games that would not be out of place in the Premier League compared to your Bournemouth's, Stoke's, West Brom's etc

To be honest people on this forum are generally quite negative. Even if we were in a golden age and winning things most would still complain

On 1/17/2018 at 16:23, Lucas said:

This.

English football and the fact that you have 5k people going to a 5th tier match on a Tuesday is just fantastic to me. I wish we had a culture similar to that here in the States, but we just don't Our sports are based around large metro areas (Boston, New York, Atlanta, LA), and not around the actual communities (Lilburn, Lawrenceville, Roswell...and other places in Georgia).

I think it's one of the reason English football amazes me more than any other sport.

13 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah but in america 2 or 2 teams generally represent an entire state

While you are correct, football is England's most popular sport. Here in America? You have in order of popularity...

1. NFL
2. College Football
3. NBA
4. MLB
5. NHL
6. College Basketball
7. MLS

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/01/2018 at 12:33, Daedalus said:

This.

English football and the fact that you have 5k people going to a 5th tier match on a Tuesday is just fantastic to me. I wish we had a culture similar to that here in the States, but we just don't Our sports are based around large metro areas (Boston, New York, Atlanta, LA), and not around the actual communities (Lilburn, Lawrenceville, Roswell...and other places in Georgia).

I think it's one of the reason English football amazes me more than any other sport.

While you are correct, football is England's most popular sport. Here in America? You have in order of popularity...

1. NFL
2. College Football
3. NBA
4. MLB
5. NHL
6. College Basketball
7. MLS

Yeah but also your seasons only last 3 months and are at differents times of year to avoid competition for fans. But yes it is very impressive

19 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah but also your seasons only last 3 months and are at differents times of year to avoid competition for fans. But yes it is very impressive

Longer than 3 months. 

NFL and College football last 4-5 months. 

NHL and NBA are about 7 months

MLB is 6 months

Archived