talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Teams Height vs Weight

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to show? The especially tall teams seem to be midtable or lower.

Football continues to be one of the only sports in which size is not important.

It think it shows exactly that. Chelsea seem to have the worst of both worlds, yet sit at first place quite comfortably.

3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to show? The especially tall teams seem to be midtable or lower.

Football continues to be one of the only sports in which size is not important.

Not necessarily. Dougie Freedman had a policy with us where he openly said he would avoid signing players smaller than six feet and the squad he predominantly built took us from a Championship relegation battle to a top half Premiership finish and an FA Cup final.

6 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Not necessarily. Dougie Freedman had a policy with us where he openly said he would avoid signing players smaller than six feet and the squad he predominantly built took us from a Championship relegation battle to a top half Premiership finish and an FA Cup final.

Oh, the famous Dougie Freedman, the bestowed great Dougie Freedman? 

What a shit philosophy, England is more neanderthal than most I suppose. Much rather watch small players play football myself.

17 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

What a shit philosophy, England is more neanderthal than most I suppose. Much rather watch small players play football myself.

Regardless of what you think of him he built a team that were destined to go down that went on to finish tenth in The Premier League and played in an FA Cup because of the high recruitment standards he has. Something that if history's anything to go by will not happen again at our club for decades. He's evidence that you can be successful without fielding a team of midgets.

On 3/13/2017 at 2:23 PM, Aaroncpfc said:

Interesting.

At Bolton, he had a policy of spunking huge contracts on Sunday League lumps like Liam fucking Trotter, and that somehow didn't work...?

6 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

Interesting.

At Bolton, he had a policy of spunking huge contracts on Sunday League lumps like Liam fucking Trotter, and that somehow didn't work...?

He had to put food on the table for his family remember. Show him some respect.

On 3/13/2017 at 8:58 PM, The Artful Dodger said:

Huge non sequitur.

Ronaldo, Bale, Lewandowski, Reus, Pogba, Muller, Gerrard - all 6 foot plus.

10 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

Huge non sequitur.

Ronaldo, Bale, Lewandowski, Reus, Pogba, Muller, Gerrard - all 6 foot plus.

It's not a non-sequitur, it's a personal preference. All those players are great, not debatable, but very powerful, fast athletes. They have plenty of skill but aesthetically I find players like Modric, Iniesta, Messi, Mata, Silva and Leon Osman far more elegant on the eye, I suppose it comes from the low centre of gravity, the ball stuck to the feet. I am small myself so I guess I'm just rooting for my guys. 

On 14/03/2017 at 2:09 PM, Aaroncpfc said:

Regardless of what you think of him he built a team that were destined to go down that went on to finish tenth in The Premier League and played in an FA Cup because of the high recruitment standards he has. Something that if history's anything to go by will not happen again at our club for decades. He's evidence that you can be successful without fielding a team of midgets.

Well of course, but the fact is that it's more the other way round in English football. The bias has always been towards those who are big at a young age, strong blah blah. Less about technical skill, players are discared based on size rather than ability, we encourage a culture of brute force over technical ability and this is why England is hopeless at football, even with all the money and passion for the game.

Freedman is hardly some maverick for insisting on having big players, he's very much par for England.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's not a non-sequitur, it's a personal preference. All those players are great, not debatable, but very powerful, fast athletes. They have plenty of skill but aesthetically I find players like Modric, Iniesta, Messi, Mata, Silva and Leon Osman far more elegant on the eye, I suppose it comes from the low centre of gravity, the ball stuck to the feet. I am small myself so I guess I'm just rooting for my guys. 

I hear you - I'm a gigantor and love seeing a fellow freak perform magic with a football.

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Leon Osman xD

Archived