talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

El Gráfico closes after 99 years

football forum

A thread only a few will be able to participate in. If you're familiar with El Grafico, then you don't need any introduction to how big and important it was in South America.

Its a real shame to see it shut down. My father actually has lots of collections of the magazine and still has them in the basement. I don't live with him at the moment but its always a fun read whenever I visit him.

RIP El Grafico.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My uncle used to collect it and I remember it from when I was a kid.  I used to go on holiday and read his collection which went all the way back to 1953.  Sad day that one of the most iconic sports magazines should want to close its doors.:(

I’ll never forget El Gráfico

Just now, Stan said:

it was on its way out to be fair. the quality wasn't as good as it used to be. 

The magazine industry is dying, which is a shame to say but most magazines have suffered similar fates to El Grafico. The quality declined and it went out. 

Its still really sad to see though.

Just now, SirBalon said:

My uncle used to collect it and I remember it from when I was a kid.  I used to go on holiday and read his collection which went all the way back to 1953.  Sad day that one of the most iconic sports magazines should want to close its doors.:(

I’ll never forget El Gráfico

Good thing we're 2 and alike. My father as I mentioned has a huge collection in his work room, as he was a massive Argentinian football fan back when it was actually good.

My grandmother once told me something. Back then, people would stop what they are doing to catch a game of the Argentinian league. Nowadays, no one really cares which is the sad reality and I blame money in Europe for it.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

The magazine industry is dying, which is a shame to say but most magazines have suffered similar fates to El Grafico. The quality declined and it went out. 

Its still really sad to see though.

Magazines have had to move with the times and most have by becoming interactive online magazines as well as their printed version.  For example I subscribe to Empire magazine online because it’s easier for me than to go out and buy the magazine version. I used to love buying magazines but don’t anymore, not even newspapers as I subscribe to all those I love which actually works out cheaper than the hard version.  Although with books I can’t get used to reading them on tablets... I even bought a Kindle and don’t use it anymore because I prefer the version I can touch and really turn pages.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

Good thing we're 2 and alike. My father as I mentioned has a huge collection in his work room, as he was a massive Argentinian football fan back when it was actually good.

My grandmother once told me something. Back then, people would stop what they are doing to catch a game of the Argentinian league. Nowadays, no one really cares which is the sad reality and I blame money in Europe for it.

European football as it is not only destroyed South American football. European football as it is destroyed European football too if you get my meaning.

8 minutes ago, Berserker said:

R.I.P

Didn't know it was also known over Europe (besides Spain), fair enough.

They were quite pro Boca weren’t they?

I’m gonna buy my uncle’s collection off him, they’ll be worth a bomb in the future.

As far as can see the only kind of magazines that seem to still be growing are more niche, luxury types, that can probably count on a smaller, more loyal customer base, willing to pay bigger prices. More like journals, really. The weekly/monthly market with a mass consumption sadly seem to be a thing of the past.

If you look at newcomers like These Football Times, they're pretty much an online magazine, and they only release an actual publication a few times a year.

24 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

European football as it is not only destroyed South American football. European football as it is destroyed European football too if you get my meaning.

Yeah, I understand that to an extent. South America sufferred most though. Some could argue that European football "changed" rather than died, where as South American football literally changed for the worse, as the standard actually declined heavily.

41 minutes ago, Inverted said:

As far as can see the only kind of magazines that seem to still be growing are more niche, luxury types, that can probably count on a smaller, more loyal customer base, willing to pay bigger prices. More like journals, really. The weekly/monthly market with a mass consumption sadly seem to be a thing of the past.

If you look at newcomers like These Football Times, they're pretty much an online magazine, and they only release an actual publication a few times a year.

In other words, publications whose level of quality, expertise, and insight can't be easily found for free online.

20 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

In other words, publications whose level of quality, expertise, and insight can't be easily found for free online.

I also think the aesthetic aspect is important for these kinds of things. There are websites where you can get good long-form pieces on football, but a physical publication can also be a nice thing to collect if it's a decent size and has good graphic design, photography, etc. That's an aspect you can only get offline.

It's the same with books. If you only read books on your phone or your tablet you're going to save like 60% on all the books you buy, but some people like having the real thing in their hands. And although it seems unimportant, people are drawn to things that look nice and that they'd like to have on show on their bookshelf or coffee table when they're done. 

Ultimately a normal, cheaply-printed magazine doesn't have that aspect. They're disposable items, and so they miss out on the one true edge they can have over online journalism. 

Archived