talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup - First Memories

What is your first memory of a World Cup?

Mine was the scenes when Scotland scored against Brazil. For weeks there was build up of how great Ronaldo was, how good Carlos's banana goal was, and how complete the whole team was. Then Scotland very nearly got a result against them.

All been downhill for Scotland ever since. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Baggio rocketing his penalty over the goal. Escobar's  own goal. 

That's the first thing I thought about too, Jesus that was heartbreaking to watch.

USA 94 is the first World Cup I remember properly, although the very first memory is probably Rijkaard spitting at Völler in Italy 90 xD

The first world cup I watched was France 98. I remember the first game against Tunisia. We listened to it on the radio at school because it was on in the day time. Back then I didn't know how bad England were at tournaments so I thought we could win the world cup :D

USA '94. It was on at ridiculous times for us British viewers and as a kid on school night's, I sneaked a the TV on a lot for the late night games.

I remember...

• Ginormous square goal nets
  • Des Lynam on the BBC
  • Watching Ray Houghton score a blinder as Ireland upset eventual finalist's Italy in the first game. 
  • Big Jack Charlton having a meltdown with a US official on the sideline v Mexico. Literally.
  • Bebeto shot-gunning the cradle celebration against Holland
  • Bulgaria stunning the Germans in the quarter final
  • Alexi Lalas and his beard
  • Diana Ross with the worst penalty kick I've ever seen after Roberto Baggio's.
  • Jorge Campos' goalkeeper kit for Mexico
  • Some Saudi Arabian guy skinning about 6 players and sticking it in the back of the net.
  • Maradona grabbing the camera during a goal celebration and definitely looking like he hadn't taken coke. Not all all...
  • Escobar's OG and his shocking death
  • Luis Enrique's bloodied face after the worst elbow in history from some dirty Italian bastard
  • Georgie Hagi and Hristo Stoichkov, absolute magicians.

• Administrator

1998 World Cup. 

Beckham sending off against Argentina. 

THAT Michael Owen goal against Argentina. 

The mass confusion by everyone regarding Ronaldo before the final against France. 

THAT Dennis Bergkamp goal against Argentina. 

Cannot really remember the 98 World Cup that well to be honest. 

Can remember watching Senegal shocking France in the opening game of the 2002 World Cup with a squad made up of French based players.

Remember getting up dead early every day to watch games as well before school and getting part of the morning off when England played. 

On 17/01/2018 at 18:53, nudge said:

That's the first thing I thought about too, Jesus that was heartbreaking to watch.

USA 94 is the first World Cup I remember properly, although the very first memory is probably Rijkaard spitting at Völler in Italy 90 xD

For some reason I can remember the opening theme, even though I was so young and I can just about remember Roberto Baggio's solo goal as well.  It's probably all I can remember full stop of being that age.

As with you, USA 94 is the first one I remember properly.

I can remember watching the 98 final at my friend's house and him saying that it must have been fixed because Brazil didn't win. I don't know if I remember the Beckham/Simeone incident from seeing it live or not. My memory's awful. xD

Off topic but I also remember watching the Trezeguet winner in the Euro 2000 final in my sisters' room on one of those little TV/video combi things because my mum didn't want it on in the living room and that was the only other TV in the house. xD

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

@Bluewolf

What was it like watching Jose Nasazzi life the first ever world cup title back in 1930? You must of been fresh out of university when that happened. 

It was good mate... I first heard about him when he was about 18 and he only had the potential to be a decent footballer back then.. "El Gran Mariscal" they used to chant from the stand... His Mum would have been proud of him and what he achieved... 

The cocksucking motherfucker Fabio Grosso diving like he had been shot with a nine gauge because dumbfuck Lucas Neil stuck a leg out. It is one of those moment that will always boil my blood. It fucks me off because that is a great Italian team that I just can't help but absolutely despise because of that greasy haird wop bastard.

• Administrator

this iconic look just popped in to my head from 1998

271226.jpg

The reason being, apparently, it was so it would make the players harder to mark if they all looked somewhat similar through the blonde hair xD 

Also, I'd say Eminem is the 2nd one in from the left. 

Archived