• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Kane wins the 2018 World Cup Golden Boot

football forum

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It’s probably going to be an unlikely player as has happened many times (not always, mostly) at a World Cup.

That is why i said Michy Batshuayi. He'll probably score 7 unimportant goals that still lead to Belgium tumbling out in the second round.

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

That is why i said Michy Batshuayi. He'll probably score 7 unimportant goals that still lead to Belgium tumbling out in the second round.

Yeah, I was messing about last night with Batshuayi’s whole name sounding like someone’s sneezing. I caught what you meant and why I thought that indeed it will probably be someone unlikely.

You are right with the top scorer, as it's usually someone very unexpected.

This is why I said Paulinho could do it. I wasn't even taking the piss.

Not even Pele has ever been top scorer in a world cup, he has obviously been among the top scorers in a tournament, just as Messi was among them last time, Romario was in 94, Maradona in 86, Batistuta in 98, etc, i.e players you expect, although they are rarely the actual top scorer of the tournament other than Ronaldo in 2002, Muller in the 70s and Eusebio in 66, when England won it. It's usually someone more unexpected.

James Rodriguez was the top scorer last time for example. It could be someone like Gabriel Jesus. We all know of the young lad's talent, but we wouldn't expect him to outscore Messi, Suarez, C.Ronaldo, Neymar, etc in any other situation.

6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

You are right with the top scorer, as it's usually someone very unexpected.

This is why I said Paulinho could do it. I wasn't even taking the piss.

Not even Pele has ever been top scorer in a world cup, he has obviously been among the top scorers in a tournament, just as Messi was among them last time, Romario was in 94, Maradona in 86, Batistuta in 98, etc, i.e players you expect, although they are rarely the actual top scorer of the tournament other than Ronaldo in 2002, Muller in the 70s and Eusebio in 66, when England won it. It's usually someone more unexpected.

James Rodriguez was the top scorer last time for example. It could be someone like Gabriel Jesus. We all know of the young lad's talent, but we wouldn't expect him to outscore Messi, Suarez, C.Ronaldo, Neymar, etc in any other situation.

Moved all those posts here mate, plus yours which is referring to the World Cup Golden Boot. ;)

I agree... I also remember in 1982 (World Cup in Spain) where a relatively unknown Paolo Rossi came out of almost nowhere to be the top scorer in that World Cup and help Italy to victory.

These things do tend to occur in international football as you have well pointed out in your post.

• 1 month later...

The friendlies just gone probably gave us a good insight in to this. 

Gabriel Jesus scored the winning goal against Germany, Timo Werner was guven opportunities to impress for Germany, Kylian Mbappe scored twixe against Russia. It all opens the floor to the possibility of the golden boot winner being under the age of 21.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

The friendlies just gone probably gave us a good insight in to this. 

Gabriel Jesus scored the winning goal against Germany, Timo Werner was guven opportunities to impress for Germany, Kylian Mbappe scored twixe against Russia. It all opens the floor to the possibility of the golden boot winner being under the age of 21.

Still think TImo will be the one to get the closest of those three just because of the way Germany will setup. I feel like Kylian might be second but hes got more to contend with in terms of goal-scorers. Gabriel Jesus might do well but for some reason he doesn't strike me as the kind of player that will get too many chances against a better defense and will be the linkup man offering opportunities for others to score. For all we know it might not even be one of these.

• 2 months later...

Football is a team game, but nothing trumps personal glory. For all things golden boot, including predictions and just following the progress of the strikers of this world cup, look no further.

My pick at this point is Muller or Eden Hazard. Just a gut feeling that Hazard is going to grab a hatful at some point.

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Can't believe I saw Ronaldo @ 16/1 and didn't go through with putting the bet on. Absolute schoolboy error, especially with three already on the board with Morocco and Iran to come :dam:!

We'd all be rich if we could bet with hindsight :coffee:

His record in the WC has generally been poor and he didnt have a great end to the season (by his standards of course) which is why i went for Lukaku

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Players left in the tournament with more than 1 goal:

Harry Kane (6)

Romelu Lukaku (4)

Artem Dzyuba, Denis Cheryshev, Kylian Mbappe, Edinson Cavani (3)

Neymar Jr, Eden Hazard, Antoine Griezmann, John Stones, Philippe Coutinho, Andreas Granqvist, Luis Suarez, Luka Modric (2)

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The mighty Paulinho is going to be top scorer still. I have faith @Storts

Shame you never came back to me with terms on that!

Still not sure how Paulinho does it though

On 04/07/2018 at 07:58, RandoEFC said:

Players left in the tournament with more than 1 goal:

Harry Kane (6)

Romelu Lukaku (4)

Artem Dzyuba, Denis Cheryshev, Kylian Mbappe, Edinson Cavani (3)

Neymar Jr, Eden Hazard, Antoine Griezmann, John Stones, Philippe Coutinho, Andreas Granqvist, Luis Suarez, Luka Modric (2)

What were the odds on Kane going into the tournament? 

Archived