talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Takeover

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Probably in terms of balance, that is because the other 2 were allowed to buy more players. 

We didn't get a number 10, we didn't get a proper striker, we didn't get a keeper, we didn't get a left back. Rafa said all summer these are the positions an upgrade is needed for the Premier League. He wasn't even asking for some world beaters either, a loan would have done but the wages to do that weren't allowed.

We are 1 in 1 out because of the strict business model enforced on the club. So we bought 4 players, loaned 1 and the other 2 brought in about a dozen each.

We signed the player we loaned as soon as it looked like we might be able to make a future profit off him. The business model is putting us in danger of relegation again. Mike Ashley is thick as pig shit when it comes to football. He got us relegated twice he will do it again and again until somehow he gets lucky.

In the famous words of Kevin Keegan... "Derek Llambais knows nothing about football, Mike Ashley knows even less"

I'm all for buying players who will grow in value but you've got to make it worth it by actually buying properly. I'd much rather spend £25mil on someone who could go for £40mil in future than £12mil on someone who will make minimal impact, and probably go for less in future.

I cannot see the benefit of your model. I reckon you'd lose 4 players tops if you went down.

Brighton and Huddersfield have really added to their sides upon promotion and you've added next to nothing. It's absolutely shocking from the club.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dan said:

I'm all for buying players who will grow in value but you've got to make it worth it by actually buying properly. I'd much rather spend £25mil on someone who could go for £40mil in future than £12mil on someone who will make minimal impact, and probably go for less in future.

I cannot see the benefit of your model. I reckon you'd lose 4 players tops if you went down.

Brighton and Huddersfield have really added to their sides upon promotion and you've added next to nothing. It's absolutely shocking from the club.

The benefit is that they can yoyo on parachute payments and cut costs every couple of years with young Championship players....no real benefit to anyone other than Mike Ashley

We are not underachieving and we are not overachieving, but there are still merits in doing as well as you should. 

We bought a lot of players for under £5m in the Championship and 2 for over that. That adds up to a fortune by the leagues standards, but it doesn't make you any better than bottom 5 by Premier League standards.

Middlesbrough this season and Villa last season spent similarly in the Championship and struggled, in fact I think Villa spent £20m more than us. That we won the league without being great is probably Rafa's successful management in comparison to Steve Bruce, Roberto Di Matteo and Gary Monk failing massively.

If we go down again without Rafa we are in trouble. Staveley knows this, that is why they've said they will still buy the club if it gets relegated as long as Rafa stays, but they wont buy the club if they have to start hiring unknowns or British cloggers.

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

So - question:

Should Newcastle fans be a bit more appreciative of the job Mike Ashley has done.

When you look at the shambolic state that Sunderland are in with their owners?

When you look at his ability to attract and retain a manager like Rafa Benitez?

Who despite a lack of spending has been able to bring in players with enough quality to cement Newcastle's place in the division for another year?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

that last question is more credit to Rafa than Ashley, surely?

Of course Rafa deserves a lot of credit - although who appoints him? Also the players Ashley has brought in this season have largely been a success imo. All hypothetical questions...

I said in the other thread but Rafa really needs to stay in England. He's been a failure in every other country recently but everytime he's managed in England I have given over. It's his comfort zone really.

40 minutes ago, Blue said:

I said in the other thread but Rafa really needs to stay in England. He's been a failure in every other country recently but everytime he's managed in England I have given over. It's his comfort zone really.

Valencia?

Negotiations over the sale of Newcastle United to Amanda Staveley will need to make significant progress over the next month if they are to stand a chance of success, Sky Sports News understands.

A shortened summer transfer window, coupled with the World Cup finals in Russia, means any potential talks with PCP Capital Partners will need to be rekindled in the next few weeks if they are to have sufficient time to recruit in the summer.

Having gambled on Newcastle surviving the drop this season, it is understood Newcastle owner Mike Ashley will be looking to recoup between £380-£400m from the sale of the club, which is significantly more than the £300m that was offered by Staveley last October.

Lol... PCP Capital Partners. Wasn't she the one who tried to negotiate the Dubai firm DIC to buy us? This statement seems pretty familiar... in that I feel like I've seen her name and those exact words, but just with DIC instead of PCP. That seems a lifetime ago now.

I don't understand Mike Ashley's valuation of the club tbh. Sure, the value of owning a premiership club is likely higher now than when he bought the club due to TV deals. But under his time as owner... the club hasn't really made any progression at all. Two relegations, granted they've come back from them, and a squad that on paper just looks bang average at best.

PCP's offer of £300m is an offer over double what Ashley paid for the club. I think that's pretty generous, all things considered. It's not like Newcastle have been a beacon of stability under his time as owner.

Cash is worthless to him. Makes no difference if he has the cash or if he owns an asset. He doesn't want to sell he wants a profit. He wants Thatcherite money for nothing. Like buying a house and not doing any upkeep or modernisation but still selling it on for more money 10 years later.

There's quite a few owners who have lost tens of millions off their asset. They sometimes throw a bit in to try and save it, but when it doesn't work they give up and the club descends into a firey pit like Blackburn, Villa and Sunderland where the owner ends up having lost a hospital worth of money. It spirals to the point where they write off their own asset and investment. This is the possibility that hangs over the heads of two dozen clubs.

• 2 years later...
On 24/04/2018 at 19:19, Harvsky said:

Cash is worthless to him. Makes no difference if he has the cash or if he owns an asset. He doesn't want to sell he wants a profit. He wants Thatcherite money for nothing. Like buying a house and not doing any upkeep or modernisation but still selling it on for more money 10 years later.

There's quite a few owners who have lost tens of millions off their asset. They sometimes throw a bit in to try and save it, but when it doesn't work they give up and the club descends into a firey pit like Blackburn, Villa and Sunderland where the owner ends up having lost a hospital worth of money. It spirals to the point where they write off their own asset and investment. This is the possibility that hangs over the heads of two dozen clubs.

Mine included. I’d like Newcastle to break from Ashley’s grip, but as we’ve seen with Charlton most recently, sometimes the grass isn’t greener. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.136b332813f73b02c1addd53290e43a7.png

Newcastle takeover: Where is the Premier League club's sale up to?

_113667051_newcastle.jpg

Newcastle United's proposed takeover by a Saudi Arabian-backed consortium has been delayed because of a lack of clarity over who would be in charge at the club, BBC Sport has learned.

Sixteen weeks after documents relating to a £300m takeover were registered with the Premier League, the deal is still being scrutinised under its owners' and directors' test.

But it is understood compliance requires greater certainty as to who would have ultimate responsibility at St James' Park.

The bid has been led by British financier Amanda Staveley, but Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth Public Investment Fund (PIF) is set to take an 80% stake.

PIF's chairman is Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and it appears the Premier League's lawyers are struggling to establish the precise links between the consortium and the Saudi government.

This is crucial given the television rights piracy issues that have dogged the saga, with Saudi Arabia denying claims it facilitated the illegal streaming of sports events in the Middle East.

The Premier League, PIF and Magpies owner Mike Ashley have all declined to comment, but with only seven weeks until the new season starts, patience is starting to wear thin on all sides.

On Saturday, manager Steve Bruce spoke for Newcastle fans when he said: "We need a decision and we need one quickly."

What's the latest situation?

The potential takeover has been complicated by television piracy issues and alleged human right abuses.

Families of prisoners held in Saudi Arabia have told BBC Sport that they will "not stay silent" even if the deal goes through.

There is also keen interest in Newcastle from American businessman Henry Mauriss, who is willing to offer £350m for the club, who finished 13th in the Premier League standings.

BBC Sport has been told by a source that an exclusivity clause held between Ashley and the Saudi-backed consortium has come to an end.

That could offer an opportunity for Mauriss' camp to capitalise should the bid fall through.

So, in the meantime, it is all eyes back on Premier League chief executive Richard Masters and its board. It will make the call on whether the prospective owners have broken any laws and meet the required standards to protect the league's reputation and image.

Sources have said that although Bin Salman is the chair of PIF, he is not involved with its day-to-day running, so questions about Saudi Arabia's human rights record are not relevant to the bid.

What are the outstanding issues?

More than 97% of Newcastle United Supporters' Trust members are in favour of the takeover, and many fans have dismissed the manner in which the media has raised issues which could derail the Saudi bid.

Given their significance and complexity, however, those issues have been hard to ignore.

TV piracy in Saudi Arabia is a huge problem for the Premier League to contend with, especially as it has previously complained about it.

The World Trade Organization said there had been an infringement of intellectual property rights via the illegal beoutQ service, but in an apparent response to that ruling, Saudi Arabia then barred beIN Sports from operating.

Its service is the only legal way of watching Premier League football in the country. Saudi Arabia has always denied aiding the beoutQ operation and has insisted there is no link between its government and the alleged piracy.

There have also been appeals to the Premier League and fans about how Saudi Arabia disregards human rights, which Masters said would be "fully considered".

Why are Saudi families concerned by takeover?

Families of prisoners held in the kingdom have told BBC Sport that allowing a Saudi takeover would "legitimise" the regime that "commits horrendous crimes".

The takeover goes to the core of the sports-washing idea that many human rights organisations have raised. They say that if the Arab state is associated with the globally positive image of the Premier League, it would gloss over the abuses that occur in the country.

Lina al-Hathloul says her sister Loujain, a human rights activist, is one such example. Loujain campaigned for women's rights to drive; according to her sister, she has been in prison for two-and-a-half years and has been tortured, sexually harassed and held in solitary confinement for eight months.

The Saudi government says she and other activists were detained for conspiring with "hostile entities", while Bin Salman told CBS's 60 Minutes in 2019 that releasing her was not his decision to make. He added: "If this [torture] is correct, it is very heinous. The Saudi laws forbid torture."

But in an appeal to Newcastle fans, Lina said: "I want to tell them that their everyday life is very different from ours. My sister is in prison just because one of her demands was for women to drive.

"Saudi Arabia will be embarrassed if at every game they have protests. Whatever the decision is at the end, fans have leverage, they can ask for the detainees to be released."

Areej al-Sadhan, whose brother Abdulrahman is a humanitarian worker for Red Crescent and has been in prison for more than two years, said hundreds of families like theirs were affected.

She added: "We cannot stay silent about it. We are actually risking our own lives by speaking out about the situation.

"There are things money cannot buy and fans seriously need to look deeper at the Saudi practices in the kingdom."

Where does proposed takeover leave Bruce?

Bruce has previously said he would "love to be part" of the takeover, but his more immediate concerns will be related to the forthcoming season, which starts on 12 September.

He is set for a meeting on Wednesday with Ashley, where he can discuss if any funds are available for transfer targets. Bruce has said he hopes to get a few deals done, and will also hope that midfielder Matty Longstaff signs a new contract.

But most of all, he, like many fans, wants to know if the takeover will happen or not.

"It is a frustration," he said after losing to Liverpool on Sunday. "The club needs that clarity, all of us, so let's hope we can get that in the next few days or week or whatever it may be.

"If that's not going to happen, we need to know quickly so it can be business as usual."

As has been the case for almost four months, the answer lies with the Premier League.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53558392

Haha, Ashley's managed to pocket £17m from the Saudis for a period of "exclusivity" in negotiating a sale with them. Now that period's ended and he's free to look for another buyer and the Saudi consortium has to pay up.

He's a shitty guy, but the man knows how to fucking pull grifts on the ultra-wealthy like no other xD. Bet he gets another £17m from this American guy without actually needing to sell to him either.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Haha, Ashley's managed to pocket £17m from the Saudis for a period of "exclusivity" in negotiating a sale with them. Now that period's ended and he's free to look for another buyer and the Saudi consortium has to pay up.

He's a shitty guy, but the man knows how to fucking pull grifts on the ultra-wealthy like no other xD. Bet he gets another £17m from this American guy without actually needing to sell to him either.

He’s bare rich now but he’s the sort of person that you can see almost having a clockwork orange downturn in fortunes and end up sucking peoples toes for cash

30 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If true that exclusivity has expired as the Telegraph says then I wonder what the hold up with Henry Mauriss' bid is.

Archived