• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle United Takeover

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/04/2018 at 12:28, Storts said:

So - question:

Should Newcastle fans be a bit more appreciative of the job Mike Ashley has done.

When you look at the shambolic state that Sunderland are in with their owners?

When you look at his ability to attract and retain a manager like Rafa Benitez?

Who despite a lack of spending has been able to bring in players with enough quality to cement Newcastle's place in the division for another year?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this question now @Storts

23 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

If true that exclusivity has expired as the Telegraph says then I wonder what the hold up with Henry Mauriss' bid is.

I think the sale with the Saudis isn't off until it's officially off, tbh. Ashley and Newcastle have submitted all the paperwork, haven't they? They're just waiting back for an answer and we've just now heard the holdup is with the lack clarity into who'll be running things after the takeover. I think the Henry Mauriss bid is just in the early days tbh - it's a higher bid than what MBS's consortium made too (which is likely appealing for Ashley).

I don't know what the rules are (or what exactly gets submitted) when there's a sale like this. But I don't know if Ashley would be able to submit to the league that he's accepted Mauriss's bid if they're already reviewing this other potential sale that just needs to be signed off on? I assume he probably could if there was an exclusivity deal. But I'm literally just guessing there.

I don't know anything about Mauriss other than he owns Clear TV Media, who provide TV service to airports and hospitals in the US. And I just found that out by googling him.

10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think the sale with the Saudis isn't off until it's officially off, tbh. Ashley and Newcastle have submitted all the paperwork, haven't they? They're just waiting back for an answer and we've just now heard the holdup is with the lack clarity into who'll be running things after the takeover. I think the Henry Mauriss bid is just in the early days tbh - it's a higher bid than what MBS's consortium made too (which is likely appealing for Ashley).

I don't know what the rules are (or what exactly gets submitted) when there's a sale like this. But I don't know if Ashley would be able to submit to the league that he's accepted Mauriss's bid if they're already reviewing this other potential sale that just needs to be signed off on? I assume he probably could if there was an exclusivity deal. But I'm literally just guessing there.

I don't know anything about Mauriss other than he owns Clear TV Media, who provide TV service to airports and hospitals in the US. And I just found that out by googling him.

Before the exclusivity article it was mentioned that because of the £17m deposit there is no actual time limit, it's whenever the Premier League make a decision.

Whatever the truth is it is a farce. I find it hard to believe that for 3+ months all that was needed was PIF to clarify government involvement. It might be part of it but my cynical take is that the Premier League leaked that to the BBC to take pressure off themselves.

The whole thing seems to be going nowhere.

Mike Ashley is having a club meeting today to decide transfer budgets.

19 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

We need Uri Gellar to come back and lift the clubs curse like he did before.

Will that £17m be put into the team or Ashley's pocket?

I think we both know the answer is that money is going straight to Mike Ashley

I think Ashley will be around for another few years now, maybe as much as a decade. It's hard to sell a club in such a poor state on some many levels at that price, very few can or will buy it. 

A lot of us were banking on this takeover to resurrect our club and with it our community, family relationships and friendships. 

Guess it is now all up to Steve Bruce and the lads on the pitch.

I think he’ll probably accept this bid from the Clear TV guy. He’s not as rich, but there’s an article saying he wants a club to follow FSG’s model on building a club upwards. It could just be PR and he could be another greedy cunt that’s just happy to collect the PL income.

But for Mike Ashley thats £50m extra as opposed to the other move. Plus his extra £17m.

30 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I think Ashley will be around for another few years now, maybe as much as a decade. It's hard to sell a club in such a poor state on some many levels at that price, very few can or will buy it. 

A lot of us were banking on this takeover to resurrect our club and with it our community, family relationships and friendships. 

Guess it is now all up to Steve Bruce and the lads on the pitch.

Depressing read. Feel for you Newcastle fans, to have the rug pulled in this manner must be worse than having had no announcement of a takeover to begin with.

Cheers guys :dam:

Staveley  "The piracy issue was not an issue but we tried to resolve it anyway.

“They [the Premier League] tried to make the state of Saudi a director. The PIF had agreed to become a director.”

:dam:

4 minutes ago, CityTheBest said:

Like I said, I knew it would be off, it was taking way to long. People with that level of money don't mess about, they buy clubs before you've evem heard of them before. I think the level of criticism made them question if it was wise to buy an high profile English football club and they've decided it isn't so have pulled out.

If people like that don't mess about then the problem would be that the Premier League messed them about rather than the criticism they got. If they were approved they wouldn't pull out.

Right now among the anger a lot of prominent people along the supporters are going down the conspiracy route. That the Premier League, some clubs within it and broadcasters wanted to keep Newcastle where they are.

I can see why clubs like Spurs & Arsenal especially would be against it, maybe even throw Leicester in there too. Oversaturated market place right now as it is and you have 4th place Chelsea spending big again, not to mention throwing a plush Newcastle in the mix. AND you’ve got clubs like Everton ‘genuinely’ wanting to aim for Europe and bigger things.

It's 10 clubs who opposed the takeover. They'll be some who were opportunist shysters in their opposition.

Only positive with this collapse is that anything we did would be somewhat spoilt by the fact that the Saudi government are scum. That would always hang over it. Constantly being pointed out. 

In a similar fashion I think it's hard to even enjoy any thing we might get now from Bruce because there's always a Paul Merson just around the corner turning any positive against the Newcastle fans and against Rafa Benitez.

No doubt if we get some average owner who doesn't manage to take us forward or makes mistakes that take us backwards the Paul Merson types will be blaming the fans for not appreciating Mike Ashley.

The heart of all of this is some sort of condescending view of Newcastle. A we know what's best for you thick Geordies type attitude. Sometimes masking a hatred for Newcastle, sometimes perhaps about snobbery.

Ultimately the biggest problem with Mike Ashley, the number one reason he isn't a fit and proper owner is that he doesn't give a toss about the fans. For all of Freddie Shepherd's faults and there were a lot, you could at least see he gave a toss about what fans thought and reacted accordingly. We might not get a great owner but if we go back to a Shepherd type we'd at least have a club back. When the powers don't give a shit about you, actively spite you, then you don't have a club. This is why Newcastle is dead. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Is it just me that realised only today clubs in the division can oppose another clubs takeover? Or has that always been a thing?! 

They can raise complaints to the Premier League and they have to take those complaints into account during the fit and proper tests. I don't know if they get a vote, I'm sure someone told me once that each club gets a vote.

Unless it's a clear-cut voting system, I don't see why the PL would listen to the clubs in this matter. In the end it's more money to the league and everyone in it.

The top clubs might not like having a new rival but why that can get in the way of a takeover is beyond me.

Tottenham have been angling for Qatari investment for some time. Levy has been trying to butter up the Qatari royal family for sponsorship deals for the new stadium that goes back years. 

We do know Qatar have been reaching out to clubs asking them to object. They have been applying pressure and threats at many levels.

The Premier League originally gave assuances to Staveley that the deal would go through. That was all before Qatar started kicking up a stink.

It was inevitable these oil rich states getting involved in football would gain a lot of power over the game. Having already corruptly bought a World Cup, they've exercised their power at domestic level to help keep a political rival out.

We'll never find out the extent to this corruption but we are the unfortunate club who got offered rival money to Qatar. 

Archived