talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Has The Champions League Grown Stale?

football forum

Tottenham being a 'smaller' club in the Champions League is hilarious. They are the 11th richest club in the world.

Yet, somehow Juventus (the 10th richest club) are some behemoth that "should be taking the piss out of a team like Spurs" is a nice convenient storyline for the English media and as such gullible people to fall for.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Tottenham being a 'smaller' club in the Champions League is hilarious. They are the 11th richest club in the world.

Yet, somehow Juventus (the 10th richest club) are some behemoth that "should be taking the piss out of a team like Spurs" is a nice convenient storyline for the English media and as such gullible people to fall for.

Where are Arsenal on that lost mate?

9 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

I knew we were 6th mate... But I think I know where I’m going with that question. When most fans refer to the size of a club, they’re not just talking about money but also about traditional status. Although in fairness clubs like Benfica and Ajax just to name two have a bigger historical status than clubs like Arsenal and yet they can’t compete with us (that last bit in theory because we’re an utter joke these days).

Money means being ablento supply more resources but we should also take into account that not all the money clubs make is used to be re-inserrted back into the maintenance and innovation of the sporting resources. The money is usually used for either shareholders or to amplify the brandname which has become more important as long as the club is moderately competitive in the sense of being a constant festure on all fronts.

Juventus although making less money or having less money than Spurs, will pump most of it into the attempt to make the football team as competitive as their surroundings and domestic competitions (status) let them.

What I’m saying is that in no way are Spurs bigger than Juventus but then again it all depends how you read all of this. 

The champions league is incredibly not boring until the knockout stages. The disparity in finances is massive, it’s rare that the two richest teams in a group don’t qualify which makes the group stages pretty pointless for a neutral.

17 hours ago, Cicero said:

Arsenal are not in the Champions League. Atletico got knocked down to Europa after many predicting them to win their group. 

Spurs just took the piss out of the italian champions and topped their group ahead of Real. 

Liverpool demolished a Porto side with a great home record. 

Real Madrid, although shite, got the better of Neymar and his overhyped PSG. 

Sevilla looks to have the upper hand against United. 

And Chelsea vs Barca, a classic champions league affair, was drawn in the round of 16. 

Hardly stale. Especially when people moaned how poorly English clubs have been doing in Europe. 

I think its freshening up a bit with the English sides looking capable again of beating some of that usual big 2 meaning there are more potential contenders than there were 5 years ago. 

The question is will things normalize and freshen up a bit more in the CL once the double act of Ronaldo and Messi have retired... is this just a passing thing like the dominance of Real Madrid in the early days of the European cup or is it moving towards becoming the new Scottish league where the last non big 2 winner was sir alex Ferguson with Aberdeen...

2 hours ago, Eco said:

I never thought I'd see the day when Inter Milan would be losing traction to Leicester City. That's a great little pdf though with a TON of information. 

Does that matter though?

To anyone on these details... Does annyone think this changes much? Because look at the squads and the general appeal!

Everyone is falling into the trap they’ve set and there are people that relate these things to which club is better or like some sort of kudos to brag about.

There are things that won’t change, can’t change no matter what. 

21 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Does that matter though?

To anyone on these details... Does annyone think this changes much? Because look at the squads and the general appeal!

Everyone is falling into the trap they’ve set and there are people that relate these things to which club is better or like some sort of kudos to brag about.

There are things that won’t change, can’t change no matter what. 

I think it does. The teams in the EPL are getting more and more money, while other leagues fall behind. This trend would suggest that the CL will be dominated by Barca/Real, Bayern and English Teams. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

I think it does. The teams in the EPL are getting more and more money, while other leagues fall behind. This trend would suggest that the CL will be dominated by Barca/Real, Bayern and English Teams. 

It doesn’t mate because that’s an internal issue for the example you used with Leicester City. The money influx into the Premier League causes an internal saturation and the elite status is maintained with on the norm top four finishes.

What happens in Serie ‘A’ is an internal issue with the same results.

So I put it to you... How many times during the next 10 years (an example) will we be seeing Leicester City in the Champions League?

Furthermore... How many times would you say Inter can qualify for the Champions League?

Finally (I like being Trevor McDonald) I will ask you this because you have to put everything in its place with what’s available... How do you think Inter would do against one of those sides that qualify once every generation?

3 hours ago, Eco said:

I never thought I'd see the day when Inter Milan would be losing traction to Leicester City. That's a great little pdf though with a TON of information. 

Worryingly for Serie A if Leicester were to play Inter, would it be that surprising to see Leicester win? I don't see that much difference in quality between the two squads.

15 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Worryingly for Serie A if Leicester were to play Inter, would it be that surprising to see Leicester win? I don't see that much difference in quality between the two squads.

What are you basing that opinion on?

8 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

so how big is Hangzhou Green Town then? Money doesn't equal grandeur, and again they don't have the talent compared to some other clubs. They are a smaller club. I've always said they can win the UCL, but even that would be a massive shock.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

so how big is Hangzhou Green Town then? Money doesn't equal grandeur, and again they don't have the talent compared to some other clubs. They are a smaller club. I've always said they can win the UCL, but even that would be a massive shock.

But money gives an opportunity to attract better players! Why should Juventus be so much better than Tottenham when they pay similar wages?

Just seems an easy excuse for Tottenham not to compete.

Just now, ScoRoss said:

But money gives an opportunity to attract better players! Why should Juventus be so much better than Tottenham when they pay similar wages?

Just seems an easy excuse for Tottenham not to compete.

So China is one of the biggest leagues in the world based on that logic.

Tottenham can compete, but in many people's eyes they are underdogs in the UCL and them winning would be a massive shock.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

So China is one of the biggest leagues in the world based on that logic.

Tottenham can compete, but in many people's eyes they are underdogs in the UCL and them winning would be a massive shock.

Tell me why Tottenham cannot be expected to compete for the Champions League and Juventus can?

If money makes no difference, I suppose PSG and Man City have been amazing overachievers?

Just now, ScoRoss said:

Tell me why Tottenham cannot be expected to compete for the Champions League and Juventus can?

If money makes no difference, I suppose PSG and Man City have been amazing overachievers?

I didn't say they can't, I'm just saying most are expecting Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern and Juventus to challenge while Tottenham is in the minority. I don't include myself in that bunch as I think Spurs can compete, but one thing is opinion another thing is fact. Tottenham not being expected to challenge, is unfortunately a fact because most people would laugh at you by saying Spurs can win the CL or predicting that they will.

It doesn't matter how much money you have when only 2 or 3 of your players can get in Real Madrids first team. I always preach quality over quantity, but I think its a bit different with Madrid as they have both.

28 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Seems unfair on expecting Juventus to challenge and letting Tottenham off.

I've said since the beginning of the season Spurs style is one that can beat anyone on their day, but unfortunately that's footy fans for you. Juventus are expected to challenge amongst many, Spurs aren't. That simple-

28 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Seems unfair on expecting Juventus to challenge and letting Tottenham off.

There’s a lot of truth in that and I can relate to that as an Arsenal fan. But the Premier League is unique in the sense of saturation which cancels out itself. 

Archived