talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Libertadores 2018

football forum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VAR was used for Gigliotti's elbow to the face in Gremio vs Independiente. The Recopa Sudamericana.

I still don't want VAR but if we would limit the use, that's something I can actually vouch for. Provocative elbows to the face need to be eliminated from the game as that could be face breaking and getting away with what is a criminal act, its just not acceptable. I still believe in human instinct over machines but if its going to eliminate decisions like that, I won't mind it as much.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Alianza will be fighting for 3rd then. There was really no doubt of that since the draw, especially with the state the club is in at the moment but the next game against Junior is absolutely vital for them. Home game, anything but a win and they'll go out in 4th.

I think a 3rd place finish and going down to the Sudamericana will be a success.

Independiente have been a mess so far. Just lost 1-0 to Corinthians and will now probably go out in the group stages. Losing in Venezuela was not ideal for them in the slightest.

Millonarios should beat them in El Campin.

I was hoping Lisandro Lopez would miss that 3rd penalty and equal Martin Palermo's record xD

Racing are so so good. Lautaro is obviously the talking point, but that Zaracho is so classy. He runs that midfield and is really good on the ball. Vasco haven't even been terrible, but Racing have been so good that this 4-0 scoreline is justified.

Right now I'd say they are the Libertadores favourites. 

22 hours ago, Blue said:

Independiente have been a mess so far. Just lost 1-0 to Corinthians and will now probably go out in the group stages. Losing in Venezuela was not ideal for them in the slightest.

Millonarios should beat them in El Campin.

They have been robbed against Corinthians, you should take these things into account when doing these analysis. Non awarded pen and a disallowed regular goal.

29 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Saw the latest odds to win this.

Boca Juniors + 6 Brazilian teams are at the top. Surprised? Not at all. The rest of the south americans like to ride the Brazilian success bandwagon but apart from Argentina, Brazil dominates that area (club and international)

The financial gap between brazilian and argentinian clubs has reduced. The economic crisis in Brazil, the foundation of the Superliga Argentina and the subsequent sale of its TV rights have changed the scenario of the last 10 years or so, when brazilian clubs dominated the south american competitions. The big 5 from Buenos Aires are well positioned to compete with the brazilian clubs in continental competitions.

Right now, in my opinion, the only brazilian clubs with a chance to win the Libertadores are Palmeiras, Grêmio and Corinthians, and I´m actually being generous in including Palmeiras, because the football they´ve been playing is very average. 

But a lot depend on the summer transfer window. Grêmio is at the moment the best team in South America to me. But if Barcelona decides to take Arthur to Europe in July and if Luan is also sold, those are losses that they won´t be able to replace. 

16 minutes ago, Blue said:

For me, the 2 favourites are Racing and Atletico Nacional. Both have been looking quality and a class above the rest.

Racing are looking really strong indeed. 4-0 against Vasco and 2-0 away against Rosario. This is quite a week. The problem is: will they keep Lautaro until the end of the year? Much like Grêmio, the transfer window could really weaken that team. 

6 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Its amazing how the AFA and the league have changed and are doing much better since Grondona's death. He was as corrupt as blatter but all his shady ass deals will never be all exposed.

For me its Boca Juniors or Gremio

My dream is that one day brazilian clubs will get rid of CBF and found their league. CBF doesn´t give a damn about domestic football and the clubs, their focus is on the national team, which is their main source of revenue.

16 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Mate its the same with the Mexican federation.... We have a proven record of being one of the top countries when it comes to revenue but the FMF gives zero fucks about the league.  Been meaning to ask you this mate.. Whats your opinion on Osorio? He had success in south america but to me he is nothing but a ineffective bielsa wana b... His rotation bullshit with my NT really grinds my gears

I agree with you on Osorio. He is a great theoritician and student of the game, but in practice, as a coach, he´s quite average. Many journalists love him because of his in-depth interviews and analysis of the game, but if you are critical about all his media love and analyze his results, you get a very different picture. I wouldn´t want him at my team. Osorio makes football look more complicated than it actually is.  

In Brazil, we have a nickname for this kind of coach: "Professor Pardal", the portuguese name of the Disney character "Gyro Gearloose", the famous inventor whose inventions usually don´t work. xD 

2 minutes ago, El_Loco said:

I agree with you on Osorio. He is a great theoritician and student of the game, but in practice, as a coach, he´s quite average. Many journalists love him because of his in-depth interviews and analysis of the game, but if you are critical about all his media love and analyze his results, you get a very different picture.

What I've always said myself. Great philosopher but bad end product. He was the same at Atletico Nacional, his sides imploded a lot of the time.

1 hour ago, El_Loco said:

Racing are looking really strong indeed. 4-0 against Vasco and 2-0 away against Rosario. This is quite a week. The problem is: will they keep Lautaro until the end of the year? Much like Grêmio, the transfer window could really weaken that team. 

My dream is that one day brazilian clubs will get rid of CBF and found their league. CBF doesn´t give a damn about domestic football and the clubs, their focus is on the national team, which is their main source of revenue.

I would like our clubs to do the same, and to renegotiate the terms with Conmebol regarding cup spots since we're the biggest winners and they give us less spots, at the very least we should have the same as you. River alone has 20M+ fans and could very well get a much better deal if it negotiated it's TV rights on it's own like some European clubs do. I'd also like our club to go private and an Asian investor to buy us, not because we need money, but because our chairmen always steal millions, if it wasn't for that i believe we'd possible be the richest club in all of America considering all the players we have sold and that we have the most "socios" in the continent i believe as well as one of the biggest and better stadiums.

4 hours ago, Berserker said:

I would like our clubs to do the same, and to renegotiate the terms with Conmebol regarding cup spots since we're the biggest winners and they give us less spots, at the very least we should have the same as you. River alone has 20M+ fans and could very well get a much better deal if it negotiated it's TV rights on it's own like some European clubs do. I'd also like our club to go private and an Asian investor to buy us, not because we need money, but because our chairmen always steal millions, if it wasn't for that i believe we'd possible be the richest club in all of America considering all the players we have sold and that we have the most "socios" in the continent i believe as well as one of the biggest and better stadiums.

The best thing that has ever happened to argentinian clubs was CFK leaving office. xD If I understand correctly "Fútbol para Todos" almost broke your clubs, right? 

The problem with the number of teams at Libertadores is this in my opinion: Rede Globo pays more than anyone for the TV rights and they want to make sure at least one brazilian club will make it to the final. If a club like Corinthians or Flamengo reach the final we´re talking about an audience of easily more than 75 milllion people in brazilian territory only. I mean, argentinian clubs should press for parity, but I´m not sure Conmebol will change this inequality any time soon. 

3 hours ago, El_Loco said:

The best thing that has ever happened to argentinian clubs was CFK leaving office. xD If I understand correctly "Fútbol para Todos" almost broke your clubs, right? 

The problem with the number of teams at Libertadores is this in my opinion: Rede Globo pays more than anyone for the TV rights and they want to make sure at least one brazilian club will make it to the final. If a club like Corinthians or Flamengo reach the final we´re talking about an audience of easily more than 75 milllion people in brazilian territory only. I mean, argentinian clubs should press for parity, but I´m not sure Conmebol will change this inequality any time soon. 

Not exactly, the bitch leaving was a good thing. But FPT was hardly the culprit for many of the clubs' finances, in fact FPT gave the clubs much more money than TYC used to give them. It was the clubs' own fault that they went broke, because the chairmen were all a bunch of useless corrupt clowns, bar Boca whose chairmen don't steal from but do it to rival teams. Yeah like i said i do understand it from an economical point of view, but it's unfair as fuck. Think UEFA giving Germany more spots than Spain for having more population, it would be nuts. That has to change and i really hope it does it the near future.

Great performance by Palmeiras yesterday.

15 hours ago, El_Loco said:

In Brazil, we have a nickname for this kind of coach: "Professor Pardal", the portuguese name of the Disney character "Gyro Gearloose", the famous inventor whose inventions usually don´t work. xD 

xDxDxDxD

The Venezuelans have been strong at home as they usually are, yet again proving that they are doing something right that us Peruvians aren't. It pisses me off how we are superior to them in resources and talent and just fail continentally at club level. See Real Garcilaso last night, and probably Alianza Lima tonight.

Santa Fe with another 0-0. El rey del cero...

Nacional got a win over Santos which puts them in a great position to go through. They will fight it out with Estudiantes on the last day. I'm Bolso in Uruguay, so I hope they do go through (now that Real Garcilaso is out anyways)

This game just got class. Boca score and now its all square. As things stand, this result helps Boca as they face Alianza Lima at home last and Junior go away to Palmeiras.

Said it before and will say it again, best Argentinian keeper bar none and best South American keeper.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived