talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup 2018 - The Good, The Bad and the Surprise

football forum

The Good

Germany

Joachim Low should have this tournament in the bag. They will go at least semi-finals for me as they often do and I see them stronger in 2014. Sure, they had most of their golden generation in their prime there, but some of the young talent is really really good. Timo Werner is a proper forward and Leon Goretzka is a top attacking midfielder. It will also be fun to see Kimmich as the newest incorporation to the legendary German RB spot. He was already there, but not for a World Cup as this will be his first. Perhaps one of the biggest topics of debate will be the goalkeeper spot. Does Ter Stegen warrant it, or are we all clouded by the fact Manuel Neuer is out injured?

I don't want to properly predict winners until the squads out, but I will pick favourites and Germany are definitely top of the list at least for now. They aren't going to stagnate like some thought they maybe could have and they look stronger than ever. The best Germany in my lifetime was still 2010 despite not winning the tournament, we'll see if they impress me as much as they did then.

The Bad

Panama

I know a bit about Panama and I would be shocked if there is a worse side than them in the tournament. They have some OKish players like Luis Tejada and Armando Cooper, but overeall they aren't great and their qualification was a bit of a fluke. They relied on the USA bottling their final match and them beating Costa Rica in what was an awful qualifying campaign even for their standards. They are here and there is no complaining to be had, but I'm just saying it was a bit lucky.

Now, their forward line is alright. Its not awful, Luis Tejada and Alberto Quintero are actually pretty decent. The former I know can cut it at a World level, the latter I haven't decided yet and I'm reserving judgement. The defence isn't very good though. A good example is how shocking the USA were against Panama at home and still won 4-0. Overall they are for me the worst side in the competition pre-tournament and I think they have been a bit lucky in the draw as well. They won't go through their group but I think Tunisia is a winnable game for them and I know England won't smash them.

The Surprise

Good

Peru - obvious pick for me, honestly just going through the groups will surprise people (outside of South America anyhow, because here it wouldn't be surprising). Depending on the France result, I firmly believe we can go as far as quarter finals, like Colombia did in 2014 (which wasn't surprising either in all honesty). I think what will surprise people the most is our style of play and how we play as a unit. Some people seem to think Paolo Guerrero leads the team and that's that. While it has an element of truth, a good reason we reached the world cup was because we played as a unit. Yes, we performed better with Paolo and without him it would not have been enough, but I also wouldn't call us a "one man team".

I think the biggest surprise in our style of play is defence, which is not always something you associate with South American teams. Its rock solid and I expect Alberto Rodriguez and Christian Ramos to surprise many as perhaps one of the most underlooked center back pairings in Russia. Unfortunately, there will be few Peru based players now that most have moved abroad so that fun isn't to be had anymore. That would have been cool though, players from the worst league in South America work in the pinnacle tournament of world football.

Bad

Colombia

If you're expecting the Colombia from 2014, you will be disappointed. Pekerman has lost the plot at the team and they were a bit lucky to qualify, although at the same time they did grind enough results to get here. To start off, its a superb team on paper. An excellent pair of center halves, a top number 10 and a top striker with decentish full backs and midfielders. The weak link is in goal. Ospina just isn't the same these days. He's become awful and most shots at net will probably be a goal. Their style is so horribly dull and uneffective, and there is a bit of lack of discipline within some players. Cardona and Teo Gutierrez, I'm looking at you (the latter I doubt will get a call up though).

I want them to succeed as any South American brothers, but I think Poland and Senegal will do em. They've been so scabby as of late and I can see it catching up to them this time around as their group is not as easy as it looks. Even Japan could surprise. Bottomline, I think they'll go out in the groups this time.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Blue said:

The Bad

Panama

I know a bit about Panama and I would be shocked if there is a worse side than them in the tournament. They have some OKish players like Luis Tejada and Armando Cooper, but overeall they aren't great and their qualification was a bit of a fluke. They relied on the USA bottling their final match and them beating Costa Rica in what was an awful qualifying campaign even for their standards. They are here and there is no complaining to be had, but I'm just saying it was a bit lucky.

You seem to forget Peru also backed in. Chile getting 3 points out of their last 4 matches is why Peru got in. Loses to Bolivia, Paraguay and a 3 goal loss to Brazil on the last day.The GD in their last 4 matches was -6, whereas Peru got got a few 1 goal wins, and 2 draws to finish their qualifying, and even with Columbia, Peru needed a late OG to even get into the play off game against the Kiwis. Chile collapsed just as much as USA did.

1 minute ago, Eco said:

You seem to forget Peru also backed in. Chile getting 3 points out of their last 4 matches is why Peru got in. Loses to Bolivia, Paraguay and a 3 goal loss to Brazil on the last day.The GD in their last 4 matches was -6, whereas Peru got got a few 1 goal wins, and 2 draws to finish their qualifying, and even with Columbia, Peru needed a late OG to even get into the play off game against the Kiwis. Chile collapsed just as much as USA did.

We didn't get lucky. Don't even compare our campaign to Panama's.

Panama won 3 games and bottled most of their home games. We on the other hand, had 4 points in 2016 and made 22 in just a year. We had Bolivia's help, but Chile also did and they didn't take advantage of it. We did. We also played some exquisite football at times where as Panama didn't.

End of.

17 minutes ago, Blue said:

We didn't get lucky. Don't even compare our campaign to Panama's.

Panama won 3 games and bottled most of their home games. We on the other hand, had 4 points in 2016 and made 22 in just a year. We had Bolivia's help, but Chile also did and they didn't take advantage of it. We did. We also played some exquisite football at times where as Panama didn't.

End of.

Triggered. :ay:

I will be honest though, your Peru loving threads are getting tiresome. You have created more than enough threads to prove your love for Austral....I mean Peru.

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Triggered. :ay:

I will be honest though, your Peru loving threads are getting tiresome. You have created more than enough threads to prove your love for Austral....I mean Peru.

It could get tiresome all you want - but I'm on a football forum with Peru knowledge. Now that we are in the World Cup, I will talk about what I know best.

But fine, if you want a surprise that doesn't sound biased, I'll say Senegal will surprise as they are the team I expect to catch my eye in the tournament.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

It could get tiresome all you want - but I'm on a football forum with Peru knowledge. Now that we are in the World Cup, I will talk about what I know best.

But fine, if you want a surprise that doesn't sound biased, I'll say Senegal will surprise as they are the team I expect to catch my eye in the tournament.

Will you leave this forum if Peru flop at the World Cup?

Denmark have a good team, I don't really know much about Peru compared to Denmark (though not surprised to see them mentioned again) but Christensen, Schmiechel, Kjaer and Eriksen are top quality players, then you've got Sisto who will have pace to burn and has scored 5 goals already this season compared to 6 all of last season.

Hopefully Dalsgaard and Vibe can break into the team also, Vibe has scored 7 goals so far for us since the New Year and generally finds his form in the latter parts of the season, if he can hit the 15 goal mark then I reckon he's in with a good chance.

I can see Denmark and France qualifying and I think Peru and Australia will be fighting it with each other to try and win at least one game.

11 minutes ago, Danny said:

Denmark have a good team, I don't really know much about Peru compared to Denmark (though not surprised to see them mentioned again) but Christensen, Schmiechel, Kjaer and Eriksen are top quality players, then you've got Sisto who will have pace to burn and has scored 5 goals already this season compared to 6 all of last season.

Hopefully Dalsgaard and Vibe can break into the team also, Vibe has scored 7 goals so far for us since the New Year and generally finds his form in the latter parts of the season, if he can hit the 15 goal mark then I reckon he's in with a good chance.

I can see Denmark and France qualifying and I think Peru and Australia will be fighting it with each other to try and win at least one game.

Sisto for me is one of their 3 best. Top talent.

Archived