talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Confirm VAR to be Used at World Cup

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Eco said:

Why the negative attitude? Wouldn't you prefer the call to be right rather than save yourself 5 minutes at most? :what:

Most of the time though the call isn't right - just ask any Australian. They have a huge grudge on VAR and for a good reason.

I firmly believe in human decision without the use of machines anyhow. It could be right and I would still be against it because I prefer instinct.

Just now, Blue said:

Most of the time though the call isn't right - just ask any Australian. They have a huge grudge on VAR and for a good reason.

Mate - You aren't Australian.

Just now, Blue said:

I firmly believe in human decision without the use of machines anyhow. It could be right and I would still be against it because I prefer instinct.

I don't get that view point. The game is faster and more complex now than ever, the refs job is too difficult to do it on their own, so for that reason I'm all allowing VAR which will help us with certain situations are that almost impossible for humans to call with 100% certainty.

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Mate - You aren't Australian.

I don't get that view point. The game is faster and more complex now than ever, the refs job is too difficult to do it on their own, so for that reason I'm all allowing VAR which will help us with certain situations are that almost impossible for humans to call with 100% certainty.

I've been in Australia and my friend from there told me pretty much everyone wants it gone from the A-League.

And I don't want it to be meddled with. Sure the game is faster, but what good does it do anyone if its still a human decision and the referees are still incompetent? Its not like they aren't trained for these things. 

Referee decisions were never 100% anyways and it won't be with VAR either, or even near it. It will be the same as just having regular referees but with more inconsistencies and controversy.

• Administrator
Just now, Blue said:

I've been in Australia and my friend from there told me pretty much everyone wants it gone from the A-League.

And I don't want it to be meddled with. Sure the game is faster, but what good does it do anyone if its still a human decision and the referees are still incompetent? Its not like they aren't trained for these things. 

Referee decisions were never 100% anyways and it won't be with VAR either, or even near it. It will be the same as just having regular referees but with more inconsistencies and controversy.

how is it the same when it has rectified a lot of incorrect decisions anyway?

Said time and time again that the concept of VAR is brilliant. The execution of it still needs work. 

Just now, Stan said:

how is it the same when it has rectified a lot of incorrect decisions anyway?

Said time and time again that the concept of VAR is brilliant. The execution of it still needs work. 

I don't like the concept but that's just my point of view. I prefer human instinct.

Sure it can rectify a lot of decisions, but its too inconsistent. It also misses a lot of decisions and calls others. Personally that's my biggest grudge with it. It can get a lot of decisions wrong from incompetent referees but for me the biggest flaw calling some and missing others.

VAR's aload of shite and takes alot from the game. Goal line technology is fair enough, but that's it. We don't need it going any further.

It also doesn't necessarily always guarantee it being the right call anyway. "No, the VAR was wrong, it's a fix and it's obvious the person behind the decisions is a Man United fan, it's a joke". Nothing will change in that regard, it will just make the sport a bit slower and more cringeworthy. "It works in Rugby and Tennis", ye, but both of those are wank sports.

59 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

VAR's aload of shite and takes alot from the game. Goal line technology is fair enough, but that's it. We don't need it going any further.

It also doesn't necessarily always guarantee it being the right call anyway. "No, the VAR was wrong, it's a fix and it's obvious the person behind the decisions is a Man United fan, it's a joke". Nothing will change in that regard, it will just make the sport a bit slower and more cringeworthy. "It works in Rugby and Tennis", ye, but both of those are wank sports.

If Var was implemented Real Madrid wouldn't of won the CL last season 

On 1/22/2018 at 11:13, Blue said:

Like fuck. If VAR existed that wop cunt wouldn't have got a penalty for diving in '06. Yer mates a clueless cunt.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Spike said:

It shoukd just be a challenge system like the NHL. Managers or the captain gets to contest a decision anf if they get the decision wrong they lose the right to contest.

there'll always be unhappiness about that though as 1 challenge won't be enough, then 2 won't be enough, then 3 etc etc

1 hour ago, Stan said:

there'll always be unhappiness about that though as 1 challenge won't be enough, then 2 won't be enough, then 3 etc etc

And people are unhappy now. No matter what someone is going to have a whinge. Talk about Americans you all like but they complain perhaps the least about these sort of things. They have bigger fish to fry, like the NFL unable to come to a consensus what constitutes a 'catch'.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

And people are unhappy now. No matter what someone is going to have a whinge. Talk about Americans you all like but they complain perhaps the least about these sort of things. They have bigger fish to fry, like the NFL unable to come to a consensus what constitutes a 'catch'.

We'll have the same thing. What constitutes a foul? If there's contact, is it sufficient to have brought the player down? Ultimately it's subjective, and therefore imperfect.

To clarify though, while it is and always will be imperfect, I fail to see how VAR can be a bad thing.

Just now, Burning Gold said:

We'll have the same thing. What constitutes a foul? If there's contact, is it sufficient to have brought the player down? Ultimately it's subjective, and therefore imperfect.

To clarify though, while it is and always will be imperfect, I fail to see how VAR can be a bad thing.

Overuse/over reliance.

• Administrator
Just now, Spike said:

Overuse/over reliance.

not if it's restricted to the 4 categories at the moment (goals, penalty decisions, mistaken identity, straight red incidents).

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

not if it's restricted to the 4 categories at the moment (goals, penalty decisions, mistaken identity, straight red incidents).

You just wait until it's used for every single time those incidents occur. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Spike said:

You just wait until it's used for every single time those incidents occur. 

i see it happen when I watch A-League and Serie A already.

i can tolerate it. 

48 minutes ago, Stan said:

i see it happen when I watch A-League and Serie A already.

i can tolerate it. 

That is just you though... Not everyone likes sitting around an extra five minutes for a decision, and I've seen that happen.

As long as the correct decision is made by using VAR, then I’m all for it.  I’ve seen it fail a couple of times though but then again this is all relatively new and if faith isn’t put in it then it will never become a more streamline system with practically no errors.

Put it this way, as bad as referees seem to be at times, they do get over 95% of decisions correct along with their assistants which is almost perfect.  If with VAR we can help referees to raise that to 98% or even 99%, then that’s a good thing.

Archived