talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Confirm VAR to be Used at World Cup

14 hours ago, SirBalon said:

As long as the correct decision is made by using VAR, then I’m all for it.  I’ve seen it fail a couple of times though but then again this is all relatively new and if faith isn’t put in it then it will never become a more streamline system with practically no errors.

Put it this way, as bad as referees seem to be at times, they do get over 95% of decisions correct along with their assistants which is almost perfect.  If with VAR we can help referees to raise that to 98% or even 99%, then that’s a good thing.

1986 could have been a very different tournament with VAR. The tournament may have been won by a different team and the tournament wouldn't have seen the greatest ever goal scored in it as that man would have been dismissed before it.

The headlines the next day could have been:-

"Maradona sent off for blatant handball as  England scrape past Argentina 1-0 with a late goal from Gary Lineker".

I'm not saying England would have won it though by the way, as even after getting past the Belgians, it would have meant Germany in the final and that would have only gone one way :ph34r:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

1986 could have been a very different tournament with VAR. The tournament may have been won by a different team and the tournament wouldn't have seen the greatest ever goal scored in it as that man would have been dismissed before it.

The headlines the next day could have been:-

"Maradona sent off for blatant handball as  England scrape past Argentina 1-0 with a late goal from Gary Lineker".

I'm not saying England would have won it though by the way, as even after getting past the Belgians, it would have meant Germany in the final and that would have only gone one way :ph34r:

True... Not just that but many things would’ve changed.  Japan and Korea would’ve been conquered by Spain! Italy wouldn’t have been taken the piss out of and in 82 Schumacher would’ve been sent to prison for what he did against France.  Add That guy I’ve forgotten his name in 2010 that decided to do some Kung-fu on Xabi Alonso.

Most people who wanted VAR have begun to turn against it. I've seen it all over social media. I've said it before, even if its used effectively it will still have one flaw or another. I'm not buying into this "give it time" bollocks because I can't see it progressing. Even if you fix one thing, another problem will pop up. It just won't work in football.

That's what I think will happen but as you all know I prefer human instinct because even if the correct decisions are made, referees don't need to look at a decision again. They are trained for a reason. This won't take away the human element from it, it will just add more controversy which the whole point is to remove it.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Add That guy I’ve forgotten his name in 2010 that decided to do some Kung-fu on Xabi Alonso.

De Jong was kung fu fighting

That kick was fast as lighting

Alonso was a little bit frightened

Nigel did it with excellent timing

Just now, SirBalon said:

True... Not just that but many things would’ve changed.  Japan and Korea would’ve been conquered by Spain! Italy wouldn’t have been taken the piss out of and in 82 Schumacher would’ve been sent to prison for what he did against France.  Add That guy I’ve forgotten his name in 2010 that decided to do some Kung-fu on Xabi Alonso.

So in other words, history would have been re-written completely, but necessarily for the better of it as this controversy and drama does add a lot to the sport, whether we like it or not.

The Maradona handball was actually a brilliant goal for the record when you see what he did in the build up. Even when he cheated it was magic xD

Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

So in other words, history would have been re-written completely, but necessarily for the better of it as this controversy and drama does add a lot to the sport, whether we like it or not.

The Maradona handball was actually a brilliant goal for the record when you see what he did in the build up. Even when he cheated it was magic xD

Oi, the hand of god has had its title taken away.

It belongs to us now

4699d1e0530ab0ec9a1600a66b6ab5a4.png

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, The Rebel CRS said:

To be honest, that handball was something odd because no matter how many times I saw it at the time replayed in real time I couldn’t see it.  Only did the still reveal the handball and the fact Peter Shilton was going mental which wasn’t something he tended to do.  Even the outfield players missed it and only the England keeper knew what had happened.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Blue said:

Most people who wanted VAR have begun to turn against it. I've seen it all over social media. I've said it before, even if its used effectively it will still have one flaw or another. I'm not buying into this "give it time" bollocks because I can't see it progressing. Even if you fix one thing, another problem will pop up. It just won't work in football.

That's what I think will happen but as you all know I prefer human instinct because even if the correct decisions are made, referees don't need to look at a decision again. They are trained for a reason. This won't take away the human element from it, it will just add more controversy which the whole point is to remove it.

depends who you follow and what you go looking for xD 

It works for me.

Ok, so Goal Line technology combined with VAR could possible slow down the game but what it should definitely do, however, is inhibit previous injustices from reoccurring - only legitimate goals will count from now on. And that is the most important thing.

It's not VAR's fault for example that the referee in the recent Chelsea/Norwich game didn't use it. He should have but he didn't. Had he used it, Chelsea would have had a penalty and VAR would have served it's purpose.

Football is finally catching up to other sports, and it's thanks to the technological advancements such as Hawk-Eye and VAR. Yes, it might take some time getting used to but, in the long run, it will certainly be worth it.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

It works for me.

Ok, so Goal Line technology combined with VAR could possible slow down the game but what it should definitely do, however, is inhibit previous injustices from reoccurring - only legitimate goals will count from now on. And that is the most important thing.

It's not VAR's fault for example that the referee in the recent Chelsea/Norwich game didn't use it. He should have but he didn't. Had he used it, Chelsea would have had a penalty and VAR would have served it's purpose.

Football is finally catching up to other sports, and it's thanks to the technological advancements such as Hawk-Eye and VAR. Yes, it might take some time getting used to but, in the long run, it will certainly be worth it.

but people on social media don't like it. you sound like you're turning against it mate.

• 5 weeks later...

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has continued to back the use of video assistant referees at the World Cup in Russia, despite recent controversy surrounding the technology.

VAR, which allows match referee to review decisions on a pitchside monitor or by consulting an assistant who monitors the game on a video, has been trialled in a number of competitions over the past year.

On 22/01/2018 at 17:18, Blue said:

I've been in Australia and my friend from there told me pretty much everyone wants it gone from the A-League.

And I don't want it to be meddled with. Sure the game is faster, but what good does it do anyone if its still a human decision and the referees are still incompetent? Its not like they aren't trained for these things. 

Referee decisions were never 100% anyways and it won't be with VAR either, or even near it. It will be the same as just having regular referees but with more inconsistencies and controversy.

You are wrong!  ..i watch nearly every game of the NRL and the video ref come's up with the correct decision 99% of the time

On 26/01/2018 at 21:14, Spike said:

It shoukd just be a challenge system like the NHL. Managers or the captain gets to contest a decision anf if they get the decision wrong they lose the right to contest.

I think that could be better. Kind of put your money where your mouth is. If you really think you are right risk a call

On 27/01/2018 at 00:39, SirBalon said:

As long as the correct decision is made by using VAR, then I’m all for it.  I’ve seen it fail a couple of times though but then again this is all relatively new and if faith isn’t put in it then it will never become a more streamline system with practically no errors.

Put it this way, as bad as referees seem to be at times, they do get over 95% of decisions correct along with their assistants which is almost perfect.  If with VAR we can help referees to raise that to 98% or even 99%, then that’s a good thing.

That's  actually why I feel a bit sorry for referees at times. 95% is pretty impressive. With all the money in football today it's very important decisions are correct as much as possible. I would also consider two referees for aa match. One for each end if the pitch. The reason being that they would be less worn out and able to concentrate more. Don't expect many will agree with me on that though 

On 22/01/2018 at 17:19, Kitchen Sales said:

Alan Shearer's head will explode, we are somehow in for an even more unbearable BBC coverage of the World Cup.

Shearer puts on a really d mm serious face then talks shit. Its like someone doing a lecture on quantum physics dressed as a clown

9 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

You are wrong!  ..i watch nearly every game of the NRL and the video ref come's up with the correct decision 99% of the time

Mate there is no point trying to reason with him his mind is made up. I think var needs work but at if we abandoned everything because it needs work we'd still be living in caves.

4 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Mate there is no point trying to reason with him his mind is made up. I think var needs work but at if we abandoned everything because it needs work we'd still be living in caves.

100% mate, the table is always going to tell lies on tell we get VAR full time

i'm up for this and i hope that they will improve this system come World Cup time.

that italy VS korea or the famous Totti send off is the biggest example ...

as we can see, the broadcast has multiple angles of slow-motion and it really shows that Totti did NOT dive .... so VAR can really help

Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has appealed to football's lawmaker not to allow VAR to be used at the World Cup in Russia this summer.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) is expected to change the laws of the game on Saturday to allow VAR to be used throughout the professional game.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino wants VAR at the World Cup, which begins on June 14, but his UEFA counterpart Aleksander Ceferin said on Monday it would not be used in the Champions League next season.

This reminds me if the time when Blatter was really against goal line technology until a decision benefited England.

Video assistant referees are set to be used at this year's World Cup in Russia after football's lawmakers voted to approve the technology.

VAR has been trialled in some domestic English cup games this season, and has been used in Germany and Italy.

The International Football Association Board (Ifab) "unanimously approved" its introduction on a permanent basis after a meeting in Zurich on Saturday.

Leagues and competitions must now apply to Ifab to implement the technology.

'Minimum interference - maximum benefit'

Ifab said "the philosophy of VARs is 'minimum interference - maximum benefit' which aims to reduce unfairness caused by 'clear and obvious errors' or 'serious missed incidents'".

It added the incidents that would refer to would be in relation to:

• 1. Goal/no goal
  • 2. Penalty/no penalty
  • 3. Direct red card (not second yellow card/caution)
  • 4. Mistaken identity (when the referee cautions or sends off the wrong player)

Going to be interesting..... 

Archived