talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jonny Evans Agrees to Join Leicester City

football forum

football forum

Reported in the news today that he's got a £3,000,000 release clause should West Brom suffer relegation (which looks likely) and whilst Pardew isn't kicking him out of the door rumours are swirling that he could be sold to make room for other signings. 

Would you take him Chelsea/Arsenal/City fans?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Reported in the news today that he's got a £3,000,000 release clause should West Brom suffer relegation (which looks likely) and whilst Pardew isn't kicking him out of the door rumours are swirling that he could be sold to make room for other signings. 

Would you take him Chelsea/Arsenal/City fans?

Did you just write in your own words what the tweet you put up clearly says? xD

It’s a risk worth taking, for me. You won’t get much more for a 30+ year-old right now anyway and he’s probably West Brom’s best player. 

Also, there’s some bad sides in the Premier League, at present. Brighton and Huddersfield look poor and are dropping like a stone at the minute, Newcastle aren’t likely to spend any money and no one really knows if Rafa Benitez will stay there till the end of the season and I don’t think anyone is convinced that Stoke will do a lot under Paul Lambert. 

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Probably worth giving this a bump seeing as West Brom are all but down (even after beating United today). 

Where do you think he will go? Surely at £3,000,000 every man and his dog will be sniffing around him.

only 30 as well. Still got a decent few years in him no doubt. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

We're looking favourites to sign him at the minute.

This is a funny one. He's got a lot of supposed qualities about him but what happened last season makes me wonder if they're valid.

But I do think it's probably what we need in defence. An experienced head with captaincy experience. I think we've missed Huth in this regard.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

We're looking favourites to sign him at the minute.

This is a funny one. He's got a lot of supposed qualities about him but what happened last season makes me wonder if they're valid.

But I do think it's probably what we need in defence. An experienced head with captaincy experience. I think we've missed Huth in this regard.

For three million you can't knock it. He's a significantly cheap top half player. For any sides better than Leicester this would underwhelming but for anybody worse it would be considered a very good signing.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

For three million you can't knock it. He's a significantly cheap top half player. For any sides better than Leicester this would underwhelming but for anybody worse it would be considered a very good signing.

the transfer fee is very cheap, yes.

But he's on ridiculously high wages and his agent wants £4m out of it.

When was the last time an agent got a higher fee out a transfer than the actual transfer fee itself?!

• The title was changed to Jonny Evans - Likely to Leave West Brom
  • Administrator

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-open-talks-jonny-evans-12651521

Leicester have opened talks with West Brom stopper Jonny Evans who has given up on a dream switch to Manchester City.

Albion's Northern Ireland international and club captain is poised to leave the Premier League basement club on a bargain £3million release clause.

Ex-Manchester United trainee Evans, who lives in the North West, had been hoping for a move to champions City.

Pep Guardiola previously tried to sign Evans last summer but City failed to agree a fee.

Now Evans has been told City will not be returning for him and he is speaking to the Foxes about a switch instead.

Evans didn't start any of Albion's final six games under Darren Moore and declared himself unfit for the club's final game at Crystal Palace after relegation was confirmed.

He had previously one of four senior stars to break a curfew in February in Spain when they borrowed a taxi in a prank.

But Evans remains highly-rated by Northern Ireland where boss Michael O'Neill has described him as a 'top six player'.

• Administrator

looks like we've agreed a deal worth £3.5m for Evans.

Pretty good business when you think it could have been £23m this time last year...

• Subscriber

Astoundingly bad business by West Brom. Good work by us as long as we've not given him a stupidly long deal.

We've started this summer very well. Two upgrades in positions we needed and Maddison likely to follow.

Same thing with Berahino. They rejected a £25m bid then sold him 18 months later for £12m.

It's damned if you do damned if you don't though. If they sold earlier it would be West Brom are a selling club how can they expect to stay up, now they go down after not selling and it's a case of you should have sold when you had the chance. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Same thing with Berahino. They rejected a £25m bid then sold him 18 months later for £12m.

It's damned if you do damned if you don't though. If they sold earlier it would be West Brom are a selling club how can they expect to stay up, now they go down after not selling and it's a case of you should have sold when you had the chance. 

Because if they invest that money wisely they'll survive with no issues. It can be done. There's no real way around it other than clever recruitment.

Berahino's a bit of an odd one though. He's gone from a potential England striker to an absolute joke figure very quickly.

Evans makes sense for us really. Maguire is very good but I still think could do with some guidance (Morgan always had the same issue, improved no end with Huth) and Chilwell will benefit too.

Our defence was an absolute shambles last season so I'm glad to see it's being addressed quickly.

5 hours ago, Dan said:

Because if they invest that money wisely they'll survive with no issues. It can be done. There's no real way around it other than clever recruitment.

Berahino's a bit of an odd one though. He's gone from a potential England striker to an absolute joke figure very quickly.

Easier said than done. It woul be naive to assume you can sell the players that kept you up and replace them with cheaper ones and still survive. It's always a big gamble. The best chance to progress is by adding to what you've got, not constantly taking 1 step back in the hope of going 2 forward with just £20m.

West Brom weren't to know Johnny Evans would go from solid key defender to not even good enough to get in their team.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

yes

Not gunna argue the pros and cons to Evans over Morgan but I feel like someone who went from years at United to stealing a taxi in Spain with relegation threatened West Brom probably doesn't have a good mentality now

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not gunna argue the pros and cons to Evans over Morgan but I feel like someone who went from years at United to stealing a taxi in Spain with relegation threatened West Brom probably doesn't have a good mentality now

pretty cunty thing to do but we needed an improvement on Morgan who couldn't cut it any more. For a central-defender signed so cheap, with lots of Premier League experience and international experience, it's a no-brainer. Low risk, could be high reward. 

Let's be honest, you and I have no idea what his mentality is like. What happened earlier this year with West Brom was a sign, to me, of how much disarray the club was in and how bad a place it was in with the threat of relegation. And they had Pardew as manager which says a lot. 

23 minutes ago, Stan said:

pretty cunty thing to do but we needed an improvement on Morgan who couldn't cut it any more. For a central-defender signed so cheap, with lots of Premier League experience and international experience, it's a no-brainer. Low risk, could be high reward. 

Let's be honest, you and I have no idea what his mentality is like. What happened earlier this year with West Brom was a sign, to me, of how much disarray the club was in and how bad a place it was in with the threat of relegation. And they had Pardew as manager which says a lot. 

I don't what his mental state is which was why I said I feel rather than I know 😂

It said a lot about Pardew, but says a lot about a footballer once at the top of the English pyramid and European elite who had the trust of the greatest manager possibly ever to playing for West Brom under Pulis and Stoke. May be an upgrade but could also just be swapping being pissed in your pjs to being pissed on in your water proofs 😂

Yeah, from the outside of his head looking at what happened it looks like a player who left a big club and didn't think the consequences of his actions mattered at a smaller club with a weak manager. I cannot imagine Ferguson tolerating players going off on a training trip one night and stealing a taxi.

It could be that Evans is a cunt. It could be that Pardew is very weak at controlling his players and wants to be one of the lads.

I do agree that on paper it's an upgrade on Morgan. And if he acts like a cunt, the manager just needs to isolate him from the first team like we did with Sahko. Have him train alone or with the reserves or tell him to stay home. And the price is almost nothing in this market.

I'd have reservations over how things panned out last season... but it's a risk worth taking.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Easier said than done. It woul be naive to assume you can sell the players that kept you up and replace them with cheaper ones and still survive. It's always a big gamble. The best chance to progress is by adding to what you've got, not constantly taking 1 step back in the hope of going 2 forward with just £20m.

West Brom weren't to know Johnny Evans would go from solid key defender to not even good enough to get in their team.

It is a gamble but you'll overcome those gambles if you make better appointments. Pulis has never been a great long-term builder and Pardew's been awful for years.

I expect Jonny Evans to come here, do well and the stint at West Brom last year to be seen as the exception rather than the norm. We do have issues of our own but West Brom were a shambles last year.

There's a lot of guesswork as regards to us next season but I think we've made a very good start to this summer. Two creative players next please.

Archived