talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Daniel Sturridge Joins West Brom on Loan

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42790515

Inter Milan have offered a significant but undisclosed loan fee for Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge.

The 28-year-old England striker has made only five starts for Jurgen Klopp's side this season and the Reds will now consider the offer.

The Italian giants would pay his wages and discussions have also opened up about a potential permanent transfer at the end of this season.

Spanish side Sevilla have been linked with a move but have not made an offer.

It means Sturridge's immediate future lies at either Liverpool or Inter and the player has yet to make a decision with the Anfield club happy for him to stay.

He would be expected to get game time because the Reds are involved in the pursuit of a top-four place in the Premier League, the Champions League - where they face Porto in the last 16 - and the FA Cup, with a home fourth-round tie against West Brom on Saturday.

Another Serie A side, Roma, have also been linked with a move for Sturridge should their striker Edin Dzeko move to Chelsea, but Inter are the only club to show their intent by putting forward a firm proposal.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure this was posted in the Serie A Transfers and Rumors, but maybe I dreamt it.

Yeah - Looks like it's going to happen. If he can somehow remain healthy it's a great move, otherwise it's a waste of space.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'm sure this was posted in the Serie A Transfers and Rumors, but maybe I dreamt it.

Yeah - Looks like it's going to happen. If he can somehow remain healthy it's a great move, otherwise it's a waste of space.

That's his biggest issue. The poor boy is made of glass but when he is fit and playing he can produce moments of magic. He just need a year without incident and I think he'd settle in very well. Its a shame really because I wanted to see more of him with us and the boss isn't too keen on keeping him on (which is understandable as well).

A move to a less physical and a bit slower paced league is exactly what he needs, imo. Less likely for him to get injured and he's lost a fuckload of pace with all of the injuries. The Serie A is a good place for him to get his career back on track in a top league with his damaged body, rather than take a step down.

It's for the best that he moves on from Liverpool, but I don't think this will help him get back into the England team like he hopes. Even if he does well in Italy the narrative will be "He's only doing well and staying fit there because the pace is slow and he barely has to move"

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Only the best strikers thrive in Italy, I hope he takes this chance.

Clever strikers thrive in Italy. Luca Toni was able to extend his career at Hellas by playing smart, I don't think Sturridge is capable of finding space like that.

If you break it down, in Spain the best forward are technical, they are able to receive a pass, make a pass, move (Aspas, Griezmann, Perez, etc). In England the best forward have great off the ball movement, composure in 1v1 situations, and athleticism (Aguero, Kane, Salah). In Italy the best forwards are able to move in the penalty area and poach in goals, find space and drag defenders away in marking situations (Icardi, Higuain, Immobile).

• Administrator

I don’t think it’ll happen. English players rarely go abroad as they’re far too comfortable at home. He will only be sitting on the bench at Inter if he does go so little will change. Also he’s not worth the money Liverpool are asking. I could see him on loan at West Ham next season to be honest and struggling. 

9 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

How shite is this club ran to have thought to ask on the 29th with 3 days left xD

Surely they should have asked about Sturridge on day 1 if not in December.

Does make you wonder? On a side note: I think he’d be a great short term signing for Newcastle if you can get a run of games from him. Still quality on his day. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I like the idea of us helping Rafa out. But I also don't know how helpful the decaying corpse of Sturridge will be.

More helpful than the two that we'd be left with backing up Firmino. Any deal involving Sturridge going wouldn't make any sense for us unless someone else is coming in

45 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Does make you wonder? On a side note: I think he’d be a great short term signing for Newcastle if you can get a run of games from him. Still quality on his day. 

I've just read that we did ask earlier in the window but didn't like the terms (£1.5m fee and pay his full wages).

Fuck me that makes it even worse. Penny pinching tossers.

We have a bloke with a 1 in 5 goal record who couldn't get in the Stoke team playing upfront. 

48 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

I've just read that we did ask earlier in the window but didn't like the terms (£1.5m fee and pay his full wages).

Fuck me that makes it even worse. Penny pinching tossers.

We have a bloke with a 1 in 5 goal record who couldn't get in the Stoke team playing upfront. 

Fuck sake ¬¬

BREAKING NEWS

Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge looks set to join West Brom on loan for the rest of the season, Sky Sports News understands.

Sturridge, born in Birmingham, has been linked in recent weeks with a move to Inter Milan and Newcastle, and one source has told us that he has chosen Albion for family reasons. We understand the deal could be concluded later today.

• The title was changed to Daniel Sturridge Joins West Brom on Loan

Archived