talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Highest Paid Player At Every Club

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Aaron Mooy is better than half the players on that list, yet he's at the bottom of the list.

Christian Cueva is better than a lot of players on that list yet he's playing for Sao Paulo. Nationalities win in the end, although when it comes to English I can understand it given they are the domestic players.

Nationality has nothing to do with it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Kitchen Sales said:

Nationality has nothing to do with it.

I think you've slightly missed my point. Yes, the most important part is having a high profile, but I can name a few Peruvians, Venezuelans and Costa Ricans who could well play in the PL and are better than some of the players on that list, yet they are winning a lot less than they are just because of where they are from. Argentina and Brazil specifically.

I'm not counting the English. They are overvalued, but at the end of the day the league is from England.

I don’t think it matters if Harry Kane has a good World Cup or not, in the summer he will be one of the most sought after players in the world. 

The thing is, will anyone be able to afford him? He’s probably the best No9 in the world on present form and I’m not sure anyone has the cash to take him away from Spurs?

My guess is that all the elite clubs will look at it and say “fuck that, leave him where he is, they aren’t winning anything anyway”. 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I think you've slightly missed my point. Yes, the most important part is having a high profile, but I can name a few Peruvians, Venezuelans and Costa Ricans who could well play in the PL and are better than some of the players on that list, yet they are winning a lot less than they are just because of where they are from. Argentina and Brazil specifically.

I'm not counting the English. They are overvalued, but at the end of the day the league is from England.

You’re basically saying that Premier League teams are institutionally racist without any actual evidence of that. 

You do realise that there is such a thing as work permits and some South American nations, specifically countries with a poor coefficient, are harder to earn work permits for, don’t you?

English players are also paid better due to simple supply and demand. There’s not many of them around and clubs must have a certain amount, meaning demand goes up and teams and players can inflate fees as a result. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

I don’t think it matters if Harry Kane has a good World Cup or not, in the summer he will be one of the most sought after players in the world. 

The thing is, will anyone be able to afford him? He’s probably the best No9 in the world on present form and I’m not sure anyone has the cash to take him away from Spurs?

My guess is that all the elite clubs will look at it and say “fuck that, leave him where he is, they aren’t winning anything anyway”. 

5 goals at the World Cup adds more value to his transfer fee, almost certainly. 

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

You’re basically saying that Premier League teams are institutionally racist without any actual evidence of that. 

You do realise that there is such a thing as work permits and some South American nations, specifically countries with a poor coefficient, are harder to earn work permits for, don’t you?

English players are also paid better due to simple supply and demand. There’s not many of them around and clubs must have a certain amount, meaning demand goes up and teams and players can inflate fees as a result. 

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that last paragraph. A brit would know best.

But in terms of racism/discrimination, it very much exists in football.

Let me put it this way: would you rather scout Brazil, or Peru? Its nothing against the player itself. If you're a top class player, then you will get game time. Wanyama and Sanchez are prime examples of this. However, at least for Peru we haven't been in the world cup for 40 years and that's what teams look for in a league. If you don't do well in the Libertadores and don't go to world cups, why would you scout these players? Where as there can be 5 shite brazilian players that will move to Manchester City or Chelsea at 17 years old only for the club to realize they suck.

This is why in the World Cup forum, I always stress the importance of putting on a show. I told Eco the other day that I don't care about going far, but rather I want the countries name to be marketed to have other nations take us more seriously. In the last 30 years, only 2 Peruvians went straight to Europe from Peru and succeeded: Pizarro and Guerrero. The rest had to step up to a stepping stone club as we're essentially a feeder league of a feeder league.

And as for players already in feeder leagues for European clubs, even they have a track history of struggling to make a jump. When they do, they often aren't given a chance and there really isn't much reason for it. I've said it before, Alberto Rodriguez was good enough to play for any top European club and he ended up being a star at Braga ffs. Carlos Ascues is another example, who went from Melgar to Wolfsburg and played I think only 2 games in the year. Its not only a problem with us, Bolivia, Venezuela, Ecuador and Chile all struggle with it. Chile have been let off the hook as of late due to their achievements at international level though and that's ultimately the importance of a nations success.

Guerrero is out of this example as he's already winning a shit ton at Flamengo and really isn't all that bothered about playing in Europe. However, Cueva is better than half the players on this list and yet he's playing at Sao Paulo. When you see the nationality "Peru" you don't think he's going to be all that good. Its a European mentality in football. Unfortunate, but its how things are.

I should also mention that some players have better agents than others here. Look at the history of Peruvians in the PL

Ysrael Zuñiga (Coventry)

Andre Carrillo (Watford)

Diego Penny (Burnley)

Claudio Pizarro (Chelsea)

Nolberto Solano (Several clubs in the PL)

Zuñiga and Solano performed well in the PL, while Pizarro flopped but was still definitely good enough to play in this league. Penny and Carrillo were only there because of good agents. Penny is shite even for Peruvian league standards and I have no idea how he ended up at Burnley. Carrillo is decentish but overrated and there are many better Peruvian players than him. Edison Flores is a much better winger than he is, and he's playing for Aab Aalborg.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

When you see the nationality "Peru" you don't think he's going to be all that good. Its a European mentality in football. Unfortunate, but its how things are.

That is an exaggeration with some degree of truth in it.

The hierarchy between league's exists out of wisdom. A player doing well in Peru is not as good of a predictor of success as if they were doing well in Brazil. The Peruvian league player must climb the hierarchy accordingly if he wants to reach the top. That opportunity does still exist though, they are not denied the chance to climb and prove themselves, they are usually just denied the chance to leapfrog straight to the top and not have to prove themselves inbetween.

Wages are set according to risk and experience. English players aren't overvalued as such. Every wage on the list is justifable according to what actually sets wages. They are not set by a wild guess as to who is better than whom.

8 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

That is an exaggeration with some degree of truth in it.

The hierarchy between league's exists out of wisdom. A player doing well in Peru is not as good of a predictor of success as if they were doing well in Brazil. The Peruvian league player must climb the hierarchy accordingly if he wants to reach the top. That opportunity does still exist though, they are not denied the chance to climb and prove themselves, they are usually just denied the chance to leapfrog straight to the top and not have to prove themselves inbetween.

Wages are set according to risk and experience. English players aren't overvalued as such. Every wage on the list is justifable according to what actually sets wages. They are not set by a wild guess as to who is better than whom.

The Peruvian League will never be a good league in my lifetime. Yes, we qualified for the World Cup but our league is still hugely based on individuals rather than actually good teams. There is talent but they don't perform in the Libertadores.

Look at the Chilean league - they won 2 Copa Americas and did well in the last 2 World Cup's, but the Chilean league is just as bad as it was 10 years ago. Our league will continue to be shit and I can acknowledge this. However, what we can do is perform at national team level and that will increase interest from teams to begin scouting us. Mexico has already jumped on that bandwagon, as has Argentina. Before, it was hard to even send Peruvians to those countries. Now, more scouts and teams will take us seriously. The league standard will continue to be poor, but as I said there is genuine talent in the league.

You are right that the opportunity exists - its just not likely. Guerrero never debuted in the Peruvian league. He went straight to Bayern Munich. That's just one example though.

4 hours ago, Blue said:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that last paragraph. A brit would know best.

But in terms of racism/discrimination, it very much exists in football.

Let me put it this way: would you rather scout Brazil, or Peru? Its nothing against the player itself. If you're a top class player, then you will get game time. Wanyama and Sanchez are prime examples of this. However, at least for Peru we haven't been in the world cup for 40 years and that's what teams look for in a league. If you don't do well in the Libertadores and don't go to world cups, why would you scout these players? Where as there can be 5 shite brazilian players that will move to Manchester City or Chelsea at 17 years old only for the club to realize they suck.

This is why in the World Cup forum, I always stress the importance of putting on a show. I told Eco the other day that I don't care about going far, but rather I want the countries name to be marketed to have other nations take us more seriously. In the last 30 years, only 2 Peruvians went straight to Europe from Peru and succeeded: Pizarro and Guerrero. The rest had to step up to a stepping stone club as we're essentially a feeder league of a feeder league.

And as for players already in feeder leagues for European clubs, even they have a track history of struggling to make a jump. When they do, they often aren't given a chance and there really isn't much reason for it. I've said it before, Alberto Rodriguez was good enough to play for any top European club and he ended up being a star at Braga ffs. Carlos Ascues is another example, who went from Melgar to Wolfsburg and played I think only 2 games in the year. Its not only a problem with us, Bolivia, Venezuela, Ecuador and Chile all struggle with it. Chile have been let off the hook as of late due to their achievements at international level though and that's ultimately the importance of a nations success.

Guerrero is out of this example as he's already winning a shit ton at Flamengo and really isn't all that bothered about playing in Europe. However, Cueva is better than half the players on this list and yet he's playing at Sao Paulo. When you see the nationality "Peru" you don't think he's going to be all that good. Its a European mentality in football. Unfortunate, but its how things are.

Jesus Christ

Aaron Mooy was playing in the Championship last season, of course his wages are low. So will the rest of the Huddersfield teams be. Most of the players there are worth the wage in the Premier League and the ones that aren't are the players riding off of previous wage deals to boost their current deal (Benteke, Bony).

Archived