talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aymeric Laporte

football forum

29 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

I haven't seen much of him tbh, is he like a John Stones?

Sort of... All the way back to when he was in the Athletic Bilbao youth setups people were already talking about him being a great ball playIng centre-back and that the only thing to look out for in his evolution was how he would cope with the lack of natural physical attributes.  When you have a defender that isn’t naturally physical, he then has to be very smart in his positioning and reading of the game which is what Laporte has.  He is nearly always one step ahead of his adversary and reads the game very well.  He then has excellent ball control for a defender which is something that’s imperative in La Liga or you get done like a kipper by most sides in the league.  The only thing that is questioned about him is the fact he isn’t vocal which means that his leadership skills aren’t there... To get the best out of him there has to be a leader at the back line and in my opinion Stones at least as of now, isn’t a leader.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Sort of... All the way back to when he was in the Athletic Bilbao youth setups people were already talking about him being a great ball playIng centre-back and that the only thing to look out for in his evolution was how he would cope with the lack of natural physical attributes.  When you have a defender that isn’t naturally physical, he then has to be very smart in his positioning and reading of the game which is what Laporte has.  He is nearly always one step ahead of his adversary and reads the game very well.  He then has excellent ball control for a defender which is something that’s imperative in La Liga or you get done like a kipper by most sides in the league.  The only thing that is questioned about him is the fact he isn’t vocal which means that his leadership skills aren’t there... To get the best out of him there has to be a leader at the back line and in my opinion Stones at least as of now, isn’t a leader.

Sounds promising  ...Otamendi will be the 1st CB on the team sheet with one of Stones or Laporte, don't know where this leaves Kompany with his injury record, the lad's hardly played for years  ..Pep does not rate Mangala so he will be out the door in the summer

When I speak of a unique club, I speak of Athletic, because with a philosophy or better, or worse, simply different, I felt protagonist of a story of Asterix and Obelix, an experience that has allowed me, among other things, to play Europa League , Champions and win a title against one of the great Europeans and, above all, surround myself with excellent colleagues, technicians and a lot of excellent professionals off the field.

'I only know that I will never forget, I insist, where I have become the best player and person, in the order that you prefer. That's why I would like to tell you that it is not a goodbye, but a goodbye and that I will take Athletic to my heart forever. Eskerrik asko, bihotzez.'

Aymeric Laporte

• The title was changed to Aymeric Laporte Completes Man City Move

If Man City started with a back five of Walker, Stones, Laporte, Otamendi & Mendy their defence would cost £246m. That would place them 97th in the world for Defence Budget spending. Above 98 entire nations.

Moneiola 

I would have preferred him to go to United to be honest. While I think United is the most marketing heavy club, do City really need him to sit on the bench? Or to put one of Stones/Otamendi on the bench, both of which have been superb?

Laporte should have keep la porte closed and stayed at Bilbao, that or go to another club that needed him more.

City have insane depth now. I guess they really want to win this UCL.

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

We needed too, it was full of old men, Zabaleta, Sagna, Clichy, Kompany, Kolarov and players are not cheap these days

Almost all those players were world beaters in their day too.... well except clichy...

10 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Almost all those players were world beaters in their day too.... well except clichy...

Even Clichy had his good seasons   ..Peps done a good job with the overhaul, just a few old players to replace now from that 2012 team

18 hours ago, Cicero said:

So how much money have City spent on defenders the past 4 years? 

was needed but the most we have spent transfer wise is 57 million. Think least with this signing we fill a major need instead of signing sanchez just as signing a big name.

Just now, Happy Blue said:

He didn't have much defending to do tbf, WBA was really poor .. Pep's just trying to help him settle

Reports in Spain on his performance stated that WBA didn’t offer much in attack for to test him, but they did say that his composure on the ball is something that was visible and which hasn’t been there for what Guardiola wants which is why he was so happy on what he saw.

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Reports in Spain on his performance stated that WBA didn’t offer much in attack for to test him, but they did say that his composure on the ball is something that was visible and which hasn’t been there for what Guardiola wants which is why he was so happy on what he saw.

Yeah, he seemed relaxed and didn't give the ball away when they was passing it around the back, should be a good player for us for a long time to come

• 2 weeks later...

Archived