talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2017/18 FA Cup Fourth Round Match Chat - 26-28 January, 2018

football forum

18 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

From what I’ve read, I didn’t see the game, all decisions sent to VAR were called correctly. If that’s the case, why are people moaning?

Because it took too long apparently, Which is a ridiculous thing to moan about when it's only the early stages of VAR. The video referees are hardly going to rush a decision and risk getting it wrong when VAR is already being ridiculed in the media.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Clearly a lot of love for VAR. As it happens it’s been pretty shit in Italy simply because it’s human error being managed by potential human error. Maybe it’s time to review some of the rules rather than creating a solution to avoid it. 

1 minute ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Because it took too long apparently, Which is a ridiculous thing to moan about when it's only the early stages of VAR. The video referees are hardly going to rush a decision and risk getting it wrong when VAR is already being ridiculed in the media.

Didn't watch the game, but I think you are spot on. We do this in all sports here in America, and at the beginning it's a process for sure, but it has gotten better every year, and more improved.

6 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

I was under the impression it'll only be used for penalties to determine if the foul was in the box or not. Not to see if it was a foul or not. Also for goals.

No, can be used for penalty decisions and red cards too. Even to see if there was a foul in the build up to a goal.

1 minute ago, Batard said:

Clearly a lot of love for VAR. As it happens it’s been pretty shit in Italy simply because it’s human error being managed by potential human error. Maybe it’s time to review some of the rules rather than creating a solution to avoid it. 

I think some of the issues arise from not having quality refs that are paid enough to do this full-time. Fix that, and give them quality training (maybe even add a ref), and then the issues will lessen.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

what about when a player has a head injury and has to be checked over for about 5 minutes on the pitch? Broken legs? Other serious injuries? 

Same time used up then?

How often does that happen? VAR is shite and will ruin the game. 

1 minute ago, Marc said:

No, can be used for penalty decisions and red cards too. Even to see if there was a foul in the build up to a goal.

Then that's not right. You have to keep some human element in it, but I think it should be used for straight reds, if a foul was in the box or not, or if the ball cross the goal line. That's it.

• Administrator
Just now, Daedalus said:

Then that's not right. You have to keep some human element in it, but I think it should be used for straight reds, if a foul was in the box or not, or if the ball cross the goal line. That's it.

goals
mistaken identity
red cards
Penalties

That's what it's used for over here. Which is fine because I wouldn't want it used for everything. Then it really would fuck up everything.

If VAR wasn't used tonight, all we'd have heard about was how robbed Liverpool were.

They have had all the decisions go their way and still lost so they have nothing to use as an excuse.

Shocking performance and punished.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Daedalus said:

I think some of the issues arise from not having quality refs that are paid enough to do this full-time. Fix that, and give them quality training (maybe even add a ref), and then the issues will lessen.

The extra officials that were used in UEFA competitions - are they still? - were awful. The amount of decisions missed by goal line refs just made me realise that it’s pointless having more officials. It merely increases human error and it seems the game is so fast now that the concentration levels of officials isn’t adequate. I think streamlining the rules will make a referees job eminently easier. 

9 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Because it took too long apparently, Which is a ridiculous thing to moan about when it's only the early stages of VAR.

Dude, we've heard that excuse since it was first implemented. In 5 years we'd still be in "early stages of VAR".

I don't care if the right decision is called. I care if it gets binned off in general. You can get all the right decisions but if it takes 5 hours to finish a game, or allow players to take the piss and time waste, what's the bloody point? Human instinct is the most important aspect of refereeing and VAR doesn't eliminate the incompetent refs there are in the game.

30 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It can easily be improved. But this is without a doubt the future of football in a better way. 

"The Future of football" that could be true and I would be very surprised if they can eliminate all the negative formulas that would be created, but at the end of the day I prefer them to not meddle with this and just leave it as it is.

1 hour ago, shut up said:

i see oxlade-chamberlain has gone back to being shite again.

He's doing that thing where he shows some potential in a couple of games and then doesn't know how to pass and leaves the ball behind when running the next couple of games.

Only time he's consistently played well was at RWB in the second half of last season.

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

So you'd happily take a 90 minute game and turn it into a four hour occasion where the referee's constantly wandering off the pitch to look at a TV screen for five minutes at a time? In principle it works but tonight was absolutely atrocious.

Dramatic. It will never take that long. You’re moaning about the correct outcome. You’re moaning the referee made the right calls. Six months ago you would be moaning that the referee missed numerous decisions, now he’s made that the referee has made the right decisions. That’s ludicrous really. 

I’d rather see a referee take 180 seconds (its not long really, is it?) to make the correct call than have to put up with a referee, who’s a human at the end of the day and will make errors (we all do), make an error and be scrutinised for it. I’d rather see a referee have the opportunity to affirm or deny his thoughts on a decision in the biggest game of this year and the biggest game on the planet, the World Cup Final, and I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t want the referee to have that opportunity. 

Technology changes rapidly and we as humans, and football fans, have to grasp that technology and I’m glad to see it work in Football. 

4 hours ago, Blue said:

Dude, we've heard that excuse since it was first implemented. In 5 years we'd still be in "early stages of VAR".

I don't care if the right decision is called. I care if it gets binned off in general. You can get all the right decisions but if it takes 5 hours to finish a game, or allow players to take the piss and time waste, what's the bloody point? Human instinct is the most important aspect of refereeing and VAR doesn't eliminate the incompetent refs there are in the game.

We'll it's impossible to say if  we will be in the same situation 5 years from now because we have no idea how it will develop, I just don't see what's wrong with using it to make sure the right decisions are called.

things like VAR have worked very well in other sports so why not football? It's probably hard to accept for some people because it's not what they are used to but we've got to at least give it a chance to work before binning it already.

Just now, UNORTHODOX said:

We'll it's impossible to say if it we will be in the same situation 5 years from now because we have no idea how it will develop, I just don't see what's wrong with using it to make sure the right decisions are called.

things like VAR have worked very well in other sports so why not football? It's probably hard to accept for some people because it's not what they are used to but we've got to at least give it a chance to work before binning it already.

Because other sports like Basketball and NFL have stops every 5 seconds. Football doesn't. 

And its not that we're not used to it. Its that there are too many fucking flaws in it and too many formulas. You fix one thing, another issue pops up and so on. I've been a critic of VAR since Kashima beat Atletico Nacional in the 2016 Club World Cup, so I'm not having this "VAR is in early stages" excuse. There has been little to no improvement since that match.

15 minutes ago, Blue said:

Because other sports like Basketball and NFL have stops every 5 seconds. Football doesn't. 

And its not that we're not used to it. Its that there are too many fucking flaws in it and too many formulas. You fix one thing, another issue pops up and so on. I've been a critic of VAR since Kashima beat Atletico Nacional in the 2016 Club World Cup, so I'm not having this "VAR is in early stages" excuse. There has been little to no improvement since that match.

You realise that was as little as two years ago and that VAR could, depending on who you ask, still be classed as in its infancy two years later, don’t you?

Just now, Smiley Culture said:

You realise that was as little as two years ago and that VAR could, depending on who you ask, still be classed as in its infancy two years later, don’t you?

Yes

I also realize that no improvement has been made whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

goals
mistaken identity
red cards
Penalties

That's what it's used for over here. Which is fine because I wouldn't want it used for everything. Then it really would fuck up everything.

All should be able to reviewed if you ask me. Not normal fouls.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Then honestly, no one should give a shit what you think. If you think VAR is going to add 3 HOURS to a game, you are absolutely delusional. Worst case scenario, I would imagine it would add 30 minutes, and if that still means it too much of a bother for you that you'd rather the wrong call stand on the pitch, then by all means, go away.

1 minute ago, Daedalus said:

Then honestly, no one should give a shit what you think. If you think VAR is going to add 3 HOURS to a game, you are absolutely delusional. Worst case scenario, I would imagine it would add 30 minutes, and if that still means it too much of a bother for you that you'd rather the wrong call stand on the pitch, then by all means, go away.

You've completely missed my point and my hyperbole.

But if you want to stretch your vendetta towards me more, by all means :dam:

Just now, Blue said:

You've completely missed my point and my hyperbole.

But if you want to stretch your vendetta towards me more, by all means :dam:

xD

You are the king of playing victim, so by all means, keep that up. From what I hear, your Pops thinks you are a lover.

Back to the point, if anyone states that they don't care if the correct call is called, is absolutely full of shit.

When they added a form of VAR in the NFL, NHL, and other American sports, people complained all the time, UNTIL their team was involved and on the wrong side of a call that ended up getting reversed.

Go ahead, bitch and complain about VAR, but the minute that you team gets screwed over an incorrect Red Card/Incorrect Penalty, and VAR corrects the mistake and justly awards to decision correctly, thus helping your team....don't you say a damn thing.

I find it highly irritating when people think that getting the call right on the field ISN'T important.

11 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

xD

You are the king of playing victim, so by all means, keep that up. From what I hear, your Pops thinks you are a lover.

Back to the point, if anyone states that they don't care if the correct call is called, is absolutely full of shit.

When they added a form of VAR in the NFL, NHL, and other American sports, people complained all the time, UNTIL their team was involved and on the wrong side of a call that ended up getting reversed.

Go ahead, bitch and complain about VAR, but the minute that you team gets screwed over an incorrect Red Card/Incorrect Penalty, and VAR corrects the mistake and justly awards to decision correctly, thus helping your team....don't you say a damn thing.

I find it highly irritating when people think that getting the call right on the field ISN'T important.

Am I?

Or your vision is just clouded with hate. I think anyone else would have seen I was just using a hyperbole.

And as for you saying we're "full of shit", I don't care if the correct call is made because I PREFER HUMAN INSTINCT. VAR can get the correct decision all it wants but at the end of the day, I don't want this taking over the sport because I prefer things the way they are now (or before rather).

• The topic was unpinned

Archived