talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2017/18 FA Cup Fourth Round Match Chat - 26-28 January, 2018

football forum

Just now, Blue said:

Am I?

Or your vision is just clouded with hate. I think anyone else would have seen I was just using a hyperbole. Twat.

And as for you saying we're "full of shit", I don't care if the correct call is made because I PREFER HUMAN INSTINCT. VAR can get the correct decision all it wants but at the end of the day, I don't want this taking over the sport because I prefer things the way they are now (or before rather).

Am I am saying people said the same things here in the States when all of our sports starting using it, but then you begin to adapt, and realize that an extra 10-20 minutes a game is worth it if it means the right decision was made.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Daedalus said:

Am I am saying people said the same things here in the States when all of our sports starting using it, but then you begin to adapt, and realize that an extra 10-20 minutes a game is worth it if it means the right decision was made.

The difference though is that American sports already had stops. Football has just 1 (or 2 if you count water breaks on a hot day)

Stopping the game at every moment is tedious. The only sport I can think of that's similar to football in time but also had had VAR implemented successfully is rugby. In that case, its possible to see them working their way around the time issue, but there are other issues that just can't be fixed like the incompetent refs. VAR won't fix that.

Just now, Blue said:

The difference though is that American sports already had stops. Football has just 1 (or 2 if you count water breaks on a hot day)

Stopping the game at every moment is tedious. The only sport I can think of that's similar to football in time but also had had VAR implemented successfully is rugby. In that case, its possible to see them working their way around the time issue, but there are other issues that just can't be fixed like the incompetent refs. VAR won't fix that.

No doubt that American sports (outside of soccer) already had breaks, but still, I believe this will work once we, the fans, adapt.

Just now, Daedalus said:

No doubt that American sports (outside of soccer) already had breaks, but still, I believe this will work once we, the fans, adapt.

Maybe in a few years it will, but they have a lot of work to do. I'm all for surprises but I'm still not sold on that we need a machine to do the work for us. Just my point of view. I prefer trained humans to work around it.

Keep in mind I'm one of those people that don't blame the referees for anything. I'm well past that spell.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Maybe in a few years it will, but they have a lot of work to do. I'm all for surprises but I'm still not sold on that we need a machine to do the work for us. Just my point of view. I prefer trained humans to work around it.

Keep in mind I'm one of those people that don't blame the referees for anything. I'm well past that spell.

That's fair - but I just believe there are certain aspects of the game that could use some help. Offisides, Red Cards, and if a foul happened inside or outside the box. Fouls that would have already resulted in a stoppage of time. 

Keep in mind, I'm also under the belief that we need to start stopping the clock during stoppages so to avoid all the nonsense regarding stoppage time. Stop the clock, and when the clocks hits 45/90' then stop the play.

• Subscriber

Firmly in the no to VAR camp. Generally I find there is a clear distinction between people that watch football on TV and people that actually attend games. 

I've not met a single match going fan that wants it - it ruins the special moments. Goal celebrations are pretty moot at this point, anti climatic waiting around - could find a reason to look at VAR for the majority. It's just not something I want to spoil a sport that is at its best when it's quick, the ebbs and flows, and the dramatic moments. 

I think it should be used, Id much rather wait for the ref to come back with the correct decision, it literally takes a few minutes at worst.

Havent noticed an issue with the NRL using similar technology and the NRL is about as fast paced at it gets.

In fact just watching Brisbane Roar vs Central Coast Mariners last night the ref tried to give a yellow card for a studded challenge through the top of a players shin, red all day long.

If people are worried it will cause mass delays throughout a game then limit it to a certain amount of challenges per side.

Why does the referee have to see the video by walking so long from wherever he is on the pitch? In cricket there are third umpires, whose job is just to watch replays and give the decisions. Why cant football have an additional referee who is dedicated to the TV and can let the referee know the decisions over the microphone. 

Dont see the fuss about VAR, today's ref was poor in making quicker decisions as they were all very easy that can be corrected/reviewed in 20-30 seconds (the time that an average foul, card or injury takes). May be he wasnt trained enough (yet) and since this is the beginning he was spending more time to make sure the outcome is 100% correct, or may be he was nervous because its a new thing. Dont see any problem with the VAR at all and like someone else mentioned above, if VAR wasnt there today there would be definitely complaints from Liverpool fans on how they were robbed with an offside goal by West Brom and also a penalty not being given to them.

9 hours ago, 6666 said:

He's doing that thing where he shows some potential in a couple of games and then doesn't know how to pass and leaves the ball behind when running the next couple of games.

Only time he's consistently played well was at RWB in the second half of last season.

He wasn't even that good there either. One of the most overrated players in the last 5 years. 

Tbh if anything I'd care even less about a 3 minute stoppage at a match than on tv at home. Just talk to your pal for a few minutes, it's not the end of the world. 

Ultimately yesterday we had a bogus goal that otherwise would have stood ruled out, and a valid penalty to the trailing side that would have been missed. Yeah of course they ultimately didn't change the result but imagine those two decisions going wrong and changing the result in a key match. 

Adding a 5-10 minutes (at most) to the match to make sure the refs don't ruin the result is worth it. I don't see how you can prioritise "flow" over that when flow barely exists in most games. Commentators normally start wanking each other off in the box the moment a match has any. 

7 hours ago, Storts said:

Firmly in the no to VAR camp. Generally I find there is a clear distinction between people that watch football on TV and people that actually attend games. 

I've not met a single match going fan that wants it - it ruins the special moments. Goal celebrations are pretty moot at this point, anti climatic waiting around - could find a reason to look at VAR for the majority. It's just not something I want to spoil a sport that is at its best when it's quick, the ebbs and flows, and the dramatic moments. 

Correct. 

VAR chants have already found their way in. Won't be long until the Leicester fans are clapping using their paper fans like they do at the tennis when a challenge is made. 

Game is gone. 

#MakeFootballGreatAgain

8 hours ago, Storts said:

No, because some people watch football at stadiums and other’s watch in pubs/armchairs? Weird. 

So Liverpool v West Brom wasn’t quick, ebbing and flowing and full of dramatic moments because of three incidents that were all called correctly by the referee? I’m not sure you’re making any sense at all. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

No, because some people watch football at stadiums and other’s watch in pubs/armchairs? Weird. 

So Liverpool v West Brom wasn’t quick, ebbing and flowing and full of dramatic moments because of three incidents that were all called correctly by the referee? I’m not sure you’re making any sense at all. 

What? It's a pretty clear distinction I've noticed. Nobody I know that actually attends football wants it, if you're watching on tv I guess it doesn't matter because you're not as drawn in by the moment.

It was, until the momentum was stopped each time. And it's the goal decisions that are spoilt, those West Brom having to wait around until their goal is confirmed to celebrate? That's bullshit. The main reason to attend football is for those moments, when you just lose yourself, and VAR kills that.

As I said, I can see why people that watch on tv wouldn't care, but as someone that goes home and away, and spends a lot of money in doing so, I don't want my enjoyment ruined by a technology which is taking away from the key moments. 

8 minutes ago, Storts said:

What? It's a pretty clear distinction I've noticed. Nobody I know that actually attends football wants it, if you're watching on tv I guess it doesn't matter because you're not as drawn in by the moment.

It was, until the momentum was stopped each time. And it's the goal decisions that are spoilt, those West Brom having to wait around until their goal is confirmed to celebrate? That's bullshit. The main reason to attend football is for those moments, when you just lose yourself, and VAR kills that.

As I said, I can see why people that watch on tv wouldn't care, but as someone that goes home and away, and spends a lot of money in doing so, I don't want my enjoyment ruined by a technology which is taking away from the key moments. 

The one thing I'd maybe change is when the referee makes his decision, he's mic'd up so people at the stadium know what's been called and why.

You want to watch people like Jesse Lingard and Paul Pogba, supposed grown men, dance around like bellends? Aren't you a grown man? I'm sure West Brom fans didn't give a shit then and don't give a shit now, they've gone to Anfield and turned Liverpool over, they won't be bothered at all and the celebrations after, centred around Cryille Regis, proved that. You try and tell West Brom fans that wasn't special.

The key moments that were called correct? You don't want Football games to be called correctly? Why wouldn't you? Why should a referee get one view at an incident whilst the millions at home get numerous views from numerous angles? Why should the referee be lambasted for making a human error? It happens and Football 'fans' needed to get off their high horse and accept that, because at the time, video assistance wasn't available, now it is and decisions are being called correctly, people moan because it's taken too long? It takes as long as it takes to get a correct decision and only 'kills' games if people allow it to. If people want to moan about it instead of back their team, that's up to them.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

The one thing I'd maybe change is when the referee makes his decision, he's mic'd up so people at the stadium know what's been called and why.

You want to watch people like Jesse Lingard and Paul Pogba, supposed grown men, dance around like bellends? Aren't you a grown man? I'm sure West Brom fans didn't give a shit then and don't give a shit now, they've gone to Anfield and turned Liverpool over, they won't be bothered at all and the celebrations after, centred around Cryille Regis, proved that. You try and tell West Brom fans that wasn't special.

The key moments that were called correct? You don't want Football games to be called correctly? Why wouldn't you? Why should a referee get one view at an incident whilst the millions at home get numerous views from numerous angles? Why should the referee be lambasted for making a human error? It happens and Football 'fans' needed to get off their high horse and accept that, because at the time, video assistance wasn't available, now it is and decisions are being called correctly, people moan because it's taken too long? It takes as long as it takes to get a correct decision and only 'kills' games if people allow it to. If people want to moan about it instead of back their team, that's up to them.

What are you talking about? It's nothing to do with watching people celebrate xD You're so out of touch. It's about the celebrations yourself, the best bit about football fyi, and VAR takes that away. I can guarantee West Brom fans at the ground would have felt the same, regardless of how the end result played out. Your last paragraph is everything wrong with the armchair fan, that you have become. It's a spectator sport, for me, it takes away from the spectacle and why I love football. 

Just now, Storts said:

What are you talking about? It's nothing to do with watching people celebrate xD You're so out of touch. It's about the celebrations yourself, the best bit about football fyi, and VAR takes that away. I can guarantee West Brom fans at the ground would have felt the same, regardless of how the end result played out. Your last paragraph is everything wrong with the armchair fan, that you have become. It's a spectator sport, for me, it takes away from the spectacle and why I love football. 

But you said that's part of it. You said celebrations stop as a result, therefore you must want to see it. If people think a goal has been scored, they'll celebrate. Think of the amount of times you've been to a game and a goal is scored and the crowd goes wild, only to then see the offside flag go up. People think there's been a goal and they celebrated it. 

How would you know whether I'm an armchair fan?

Football is a spectator sport and I guarantee that spectators want to see correct decisions called by referees. People get so infuriated by what they perceive as wrong decisions or missed opportunities, they now have a higher chance of these decisions being correct and/or spotted by officials. If anything, this can add to the suspense and excitement of Football, for me. Doing this is a logistics nightmare but add big screens to grounds so everyone can see the reported incident again and that will add to the spectacle and atmosphere of a game. 

9 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Doing this is a logistics nightmare but add big screens to grounds so everyone can see the reported incident again and that will add to the spectacle and atmosphere of a game. 

You're a rugby fan, aren't you? 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived